iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maine Hack ( Tamarack )

Started by rick f, February 17, 2010, 05:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

Good morning all,
Has anyone sold any hack this winter and what is the price roughly?

Are there any specs on what they will take?

It's been awhile since I cut  to try and make a living.

Also how many ton to the cord for hack.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Black_Bear

In the Downeast region what species do they call hack?

Hack, aka hackmatack in my neck of the woods, can mean:

balsam poplar, aka balm-of-gilead (Populus balsamifera);
black ash, aka brown ash (Fraxinus nigra);
eastern hophornbeam, aka ironwood (Ostrya virginiana);
or larch, aka tamarack (Larix laricina).

Local terms can vary from locale to locale (30 miles apart) and definitely varies from state to state in the northeast.   

rick f

Sorry for the confusion

Downeast here we call tamarack  hack
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

SwampDonkey

From one of the market bulletins at the YSC marketing board:

CHESTER FOREST PRODUCTS                                 
Chester Maine                        PULPWOOD $28.36/Ton Min top 4",  Max butt 24", Min butt 6" (inside bark)
Mon - Thurs 7 am - 5pm          Hemlock/Tamarack $76.57/Cord    Min length  12', can be mixed
Friday 7 am - 1pm                  No forks, crooks, crotches, or doglegs.  Well limbed. Max rot 25%.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

downeast

Larch, Tamarack, maybe "hack" in some parts.

For the non Downeasters not into wooden boat construction, Larch roots/ "buttresses" are used for ship "knees". Many of the reconstructions such as the USS Constitution, use larch knees because of their strength, structure, shape, durability in wooden ships.

Don't have it on hand but there is a knee 'farmer' in Maine somewhere (Google it) selling them. It has to be one H of a job getting larch butresses out in single marketable pieces.

Another piece of our knowledge base. 8)

beenthere

downeast
The USS Constitution, I am sure, had live oak, not larch or hack. The latest rehab used laminated white oak however.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

We had a buyer years ago buying large tamarack for weir poles and sewage containment cribbage. They wanted large straight stuff. Some sites it grows like a cork screw, didn't want that kind.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rick f

Downeast your right, I remember seeing a few of the knees before they went into the ships. There were 2 ships built in addison, maine in the last 10 years right on the river bank.
In this piocture the low building with the black hole in the back is were a ship is being built.

People in Maine remembver the news store about " The bread of life" sailing ship a few years ago the had to be rescued at sea off Jonesport and Rockland. That is one that was built there.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

grassfed

P&R was paying $250 per mbf for saw logs in January I have not checked lately.

6231 Vermont 15
Wolcott, VT 05680-4061
(802) 472-6636

Might be to far from you.
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!