iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 020 AV

Started by Surveyor, January 21, 2010, 02:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surveyor

I am a newby to this site, found it when I was trying to learn something about a Stihl 020 AV saw that I inherited. I took it in to the Stihl shop for some minor repairs, And the guys working their were impressed with it, so much that they offered me a brand new Echo Saw (not sure which one, said it listed for $400) to take it off my hands. The 020 Av runs great, and looks to be in pretty good condition. Should I have taken their offer? Any information or advice about this old saw would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Pat

Al_Smith

Are you refering to a rear handled 020Av or the top handle version ?

I have one of the old 020 Av top handles ,the fore runner of the 020T .
The have enough power although they are slower than the later 020 and 200T models . They are a tad bit more heavy as well  than the later versions or models .

While they might appear somewhat similar to an 020-200T the design is completely different .
How much it's actually worth would depend on the buyer and seller I suppose but I've seen them go for as little as 50 bucks in good running condition to boot .They were pretty good old saws though .

Surveyor

peppone

you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

windthrown

If you are referring to the old all-metal TH 020 AV, I would have traded it, but not for an Echo. I would have taken a 310 or a 192T or a good used 044 or something like that. I had one that I sold on FleaBay last year, and I got about $200 for it. That was above top dollar from what I have seen others sell for, but two guys were bidding it up and the winner wanted to replace his old prized 020 AV that he had had for over 20 years. He emailed me after he got the saw in the mail and was almost crying with joy. It was in great original condition, all the paint was there with its original old style Stihl logo Picco bar. I got it from a guy that had it in his motor home and used it once a year when he went camping. My biggest problem with it was that Stihl dealers are no longer stocking parts for them. I had to cluge together some fixes, and the carb screws were worn to the point that it did not hold a tune well. They are pretty heavy and vibration prone, and IMO they do not really compare to the later model 020T or 200T saws. If you want a classic, keep it. But as far as using for tree work or cutting, the new saws are better.

Here is the Ebay photo of the one I sold...  (man, it is really hard to get photos posted on this site!)

Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

Al_Smith

Quote from: windthrown on January 21, 2010, 05:50:50 PM

Here is the Ebay photo of the one I sold...  (man, it is really hard to get photos posted on this site!)

Yep,a few of us have that problem .I'm too stupid I guess . :D

peppone

Quote from: windthrown on January 21, 2010, 05:50:50 PM
If you are referring to the old all-metal TH 020 AV, I would have traded it, but not for an Echo. I would have taken a 310 or a 192T or a good used 044 or something like that. I had one that I sold on FleaBay last year, and I got about $200 for it. That was above top dollar from what I have seen others sell for, but two guys were bidding it up and the winner wanted to replace his old prized 020 AV that he had had for over 20 years. He emailed me after he got the saw in the mail and was almost crying with joy. It was in great original condition, all the paint was there with its original old style Stihl logo Picco bar. I got it from a guy that had it in his motor home and used it once a year when he went camping. My biggest problem with it was that Stihl dealers are no longer stocking parts for them. I had to cluge together some fixes, and the carb screws were worn to the point that it did not hold a tune well. They are pretty heavy and vibration prone, and IMO they do not really compare to the later model 020T or 200T saws. If you want a classic, keep it. But as far as using for tree work or cutting, the new saws are better.

don't you like echo chainsaws? if you can have a look at the engine of an echo chainsaw and you will agrree that are magnificent saws: all of them have engine carter in magnesium for example (and not all the stihl has the same).echo saws are very well made in each particular. I like them!
I'm not sure to comprehend exactly what stihl 020 av we are speaking about. when I told "great old saw" I was thinking to the 020 av of the late 60ies- early 70ies. that was definitely a wondering chainsaw. for the age, obviously.
saluti
peppone

windthrown

I have owned and run Echo chainsaws. They work OK. But... one issue I had with them is that they typically have the air intake at the front of the engine, near the bar. Wrong location for the air intake; bad design. Also they have more soft plastic on them over time they wear and are harder to repair. For example, I had an Echo CS 3000 TH that is used by many a pro arborist in the western US. They start and run, and they take a beating, but they wore out a lot faster on me. In 3 or 4 years of steady use, that TH 3000 was was pretty shot. Compare that to a Stihl 026 that is 10 years older and shill going strong (new rings is all that it has needed). In other words, the Echos do not hold up like Stihl saws do longer term. But they are cheaper in price. I have also found that at some point you cannot keep repairing an Echo saw; the threads strip and the parts just wear out. 

The saw in the photo is the classic 020 AV saw from the 1970s. They were in production for over 25 years, and a big money maker for Stihl. It is the all-metal 1114 series Stihl saw. At first the 020AV only came with a top handle, and there was a kit with the rear handle if you wanted it. Later (after 3 years or so) there was an equivalent 020 AVP with a rear handle. At some point they came out with the 020 AV Super, which had a larger engine. At some point they also added electronic ignition. The 020 was repalced with the 020 T saw, which was mostly plastic and designed for arborists. That saw was replaced with the 200 T that is available today. Amazingly the price has been pretty consistant; these 020AV saws sold for over $500 new. With inflation, that is more than the $650 that they want here for a new 200T today.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

peppone

I'm sorry but yesterday evening it was impossible for me to see the picture you putted. I live in a forest on the Alps and I use mobile connection for internet and yesterday it was snowing and the connection here was very slow... now I see it.
saluti
peppone

franikk

I just found out that I have a 020AV Super. 

We just went through Hurricane Irene and I was planning to do the clean up this weekend, so I had taken the saw to the dealer to get a chain and I was told that they did not know what that (020AV) model was.  They even called Stihl and they didn't have anything on record.  After a second call and speaking with an old timer, he told us that it was a 70's era saw.

I didn't even realize that it was that old.  I got it in trade for money owed and used the mess out of it!  The way it ran I would of never thought that it was that old cause it cranks on the second/third pull. 

I think I am going to sell it, I hate too but, since I will have to order parts for it every time I need something.  In fact, I am going to go and pick up a Farm Boss after work today.

Al_Smith

Well get the farm boss whatever that is and keep the trim saw too .

You can find parts for anything ever made if you look hard enough .Most Stihl dealers can get the parts or most of them if they order them .If not you always have flea bay or Scott,a sponser on this site(chainsawR )

That little old saw will do just fine .It won't keep up with a modern MS 200T but it doesn't cost 600 bucks either .

T Welsh

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 02, 2011, 10:18:12 AM
Well get the farm boss whatever that is and keep the trim saw too .

You can find parts for anything ever made if you look hard enough .Most Stihl dealers can get the parts or most of them if they order them .If not you always have flea bay or Scott,a sponser on this site(chainsawR )

That little old saw will do just fine .It won't keep up with a modern MS 200T but it doesn't cost 600 bucks either .
I second what Al said, Sthils are great saw,s they are rebuildable and will function well. watch out for the home owner saw,s (orange handles) compared to pro saw,s (white handles) you will pay more, but you WILL get what you pay for. Tim

AdkStihl

020AV is def. a cracking little saw for sure.
I just rebuilt the carb on one for a buddy of mine.
Hated to give it back!!

J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

The 020AV is a bit of a challange to work on as opposed to the 020 or 200T .

The thing is kind of like in a "shell" for want of a better discription .Kind of on the order of a mini Mac or Homelite Xl 2 although not nearly the pain on the butt to work on .

Ha ,I changed the crank shaft seal on one a few years back and it took me 45 minutes before I figured out how to deshell the little rascal so I could work on it . :D

Satamax

Quote from: peppone on January 22, 2010, 03:43:26 AM
I'm sorry but yesterday evening it was impossible for me to see the picture you putted. I live in a forest on the Alps and I use mobile connection for internet and yesterday it was snowing and the connection here was very slow... now I see it.

Ciao Peppone, dimmi, di dove é?
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!