iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1.7 million #'s, 39' wide, 18' high, 308' long

Started by Woodwalker, January 20, 2010, 09:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

This thing has been moving through our service area for the past week or so.

http://www.youtube.com/v/O0663asT5xY

Just a little light hauling.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Jasperfield

How'd you like to start that thing by rollin'-it-off?

mcfcfan

Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

Woodwalker

From this news link,
http://www.kbtx.com/news/headlines/81244392.html
"To give you an idea of the special transport designed to carry an almost 2 million pound generator, the trailer has 36 axles and 144 wheels to evenly distribute the weight across the vehicle. Without that special design, road engineers say the generator, truck and trailer would sink into even the sturdiest of roadways"
Up till today they were moving at night. Only ten miles at a time. Two trucks pulling, two pushing. Axles on the trailer are steerable. The video does not show the support equipment. Don't have a count, but it's a bunch of em. They pick spots with wide shoulders, lay down plate steel on an area longer than a football field to park the thing.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Kevin_H.

We have had several of them come through here recently. they are building a new power plant about a mile north of my house.
The ones here came in on a barge and then used a rig like that to move it to it's new home.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

fishpharmer

DanG, I thought the carnival was coming to town.

Wonder why they can't build the generators on sight in small pieces.   Obviously they can't
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

I love watching "BIG" stuff.... ;D  Guess it's the boy in me.... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

There are a lot of really big machine tools required to build generators. A friend of mine did some industrial demo at a facility that made 30megawatt gas turbines and generators. They had a machine that would roll a 12"x8' plate hot, or an 8" plate cold. :o These rolled sections were welded together to form the body of the generator. They were then machined on a 48' diameter vertical lathe. The lathe operators were humble however, admitting that another company had a 60' vertical lathe. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

Yep that big , sure draws atttention.

Biggest peice I ever worked on was a bridge , it did come in a few peices, we just put it together and then lifted it up on the peer , but it was a 120 ton lift , that is a wack of tons to be playing with. There was no horsing around once we got the cranes hooked to those girders. Was one hell of a long febuary day , but man was it fun .  8)  
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Chuck White

I'm calculating 128 tires, figuring all are duals X 36 axles (only counting the trailer/s), X 4 tires per axle = 128.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DouginUtah

Time for a new calculator.  :D  36X4 = 144

I don't think they only have 4 tires per axle. That would be almost 12,000 lbs. per tire. I'm betting the writer of the article was mistaken.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

fishpharmer

Dave, that makes sense, thanks. 

I wonder if they use a "standard" tires or special super tires?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

I read where there were 16 tires per "axle". But each "axle" had four sets of 4 tires each. That would make the 576 tires that I had heard were under the load (256 fore and 256 aft).

There are numerous rigs hauling avariety of large equipment, and quite a few YouTube vids available to view.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPIKER

I wonder if that whole thing trucks trailers and generator weighed in at that 1.9 mil pounds or just the trailer :D

We had the largest over load weighted trucks stopped when I was in high school my bus drive by it. 225,000 lbs = and was press parts out of the old Chrysler tank plant.   Was stopped sometime in 1983 or 1984, in Medina County, (Lodi Ohio)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!