iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

225 rearend?

Started by timberjack240, January 20, 2010, 12:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack240

i have a 225E w that f 58 carrier. ont he hubs it has the ones that you can see the 3 pins. well when we bought it there was a homeade cap over it i gess the one pin was leakin? it started to leak today so i unsrewed it to put a gasket in it only to find out the cap was connected to a pin that took the place of the original. sumthin way back in there about at the end of the pin looked like a quater moon shape slid down. i took a wrench and pushed it back up and put the pin cak in quick before it fell down again . i dont kno what it was but pullin that pin out wont hurt anyhting will it?? i didnt turn the tire or anyhting nothin was moved. it didnt look likeit was broke or anyhting it looked liek it was supposed to ride on that pin so i dont htink it will i gess if nothin else ill move it real slow to see it anyhting binds or cracks .. anbody no if it will seriously mess sumthin up?

4genlgr

i have never been inside the planetaries on a TJ but those pins hold the planet gears
sounds like that pin has some (alot) of slop in it  sounds like time to tear it down before it gets more expensive  imho

groundguy

I found this axle PDF when directed there by another forum member.   It has a lot of good info for Eaton axles etc, which all operate in a similar fashion.

If you go to this link, you can download the 28 page pdf  which I have pit there for you. 

I have a leak in the rigght front wheel which I hope to diagnose and repair soon.

Good luck.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jrwztezjq0u/SkidderAxlePDF.pdf

bushmechanic

Are those Eaton diff's or Rockwell's?With a 225E they should be Eaton's,the only question is is it the old style with the brass pins or the newer one with the steel pins.If you saw the three pins only after you took off the center cover and the pin is a steel one that is probally a WR-3.If you took out that pin you may have made a lot of trouble for yourself because inside there is a double row of needle bearings and two thrust washers.If any of that fell down when the pin came out it can do some serious damage if you roll it over and check for noises.If I were you I would pull out the planetary carrier and make sure that everything is in place.It's only a bit of time to do that and some silicone and gear oil,better safe than sorry.   

timberjack240

the housing says rockwell. and i didnt take the center cover off. u can see the 3 pins thru the center cover. its a diff style of rear that timberjack tried i gess. therye not the eatons but theyre not the rockwells that the D models had and they look different from what the 230's had.  i got to thinkin about it . the original pins would be pushed in from the inside against that hub and need sumhtin to keep them in place. im thinkin the thing that slid down was some kind of keeper because there looked to be 2 of them which no matter where you tire was there would always be on sticking down holding it in place. cause the new pin is inserted from the outside and the bolts on that end center cap thing and is what holds it in place. itd been nice if they woulda just fixed it rite. it was a quick riggin thing id say to prevent pullin it apart they got the old pin out and a new pin w/ a cap on it to bolt to and slid it into place . it was stell im sure but idk what the rest orf them are i would assume brass bein that its aan 82 but i dont kno for sure. when i push the "keeper" back in place it went rite up like it was supposed so it didnt seem liek there were any bearings or anyhitng in the way.  i plan on lettin the skidder move a little in first to see if it makes any noise or any type of restriction or anyhting . i have another guy i wanna talk to first tho. mebe sumday ill get ti fixed rite if nothin else i gess ill tear the hub apart and get my friend to put it back together rite . i hope its not messed up thatll ruin my day in a hurry

timberjack240

called a guy he said it was a thrust washer that fell. i got it back into place. he said theres no bearings int here as long s the washers in iplace which im sure it is cuase i couldnt have got the pin in i should be set to go . im still gonna move slow oto make sure there not bindin or grindin  :-\  thansk for the responses   

Mark K

I still think I would pull the cover and check. Only takes about 10 minutes and 2-3 quarts of 80-90. Then you can fix it right, if not could get expensive and you'll have more down time.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

bushmechanic

Man you have peaked my interest.Is it a Rockwell like is in a Timberjack 201 or a 208D,those planetarys you can see the three pins when you look at the cover and they are brass pins.Those pins are pressed in and locked with set screws in the cover and you should not be able to pull out the pin at all.The older Tree Farmer C4 used those rear ends too.

timberjack240

ive never seen a 201 but it doesnt look like any 208 around here. i called lyons for a dust shield gave them the #s and they said it was a f 58 carrier sumthin timberjack tried out.  i dont kno for sure if the other pins are brass im assumin. the make shift deal is steel it was machined out of a peice of round steel  basically it looks like this  [----  the bolts go thru this part --> [ and the "pin" is this part --- the bolts go thru and are threaded into the plantary cap.. the mechanic i talked to said all you have to do is take the blotls out of the end cap and the whole thing come right out and you can look see whats goin on make sure the thrust washers are in plcae and put it back in so im thinkin sat i might take it out look to see make sure nothin fell outtta place and put it back in. idk of i wanna mess with puttin a new pin in. im gessin there a reason that they didnt do it to start with. i hate to rip it apart and mess it up worse. i think ill jsut leave that alone and some day look for a new hub if it ever breaks. itdont ever make any noise and there are no metal shavings on the plug so i dont wanna mess w it but i think im gonna at least pull the planetay to be sure

timberjack240

i had to move it today to pull the dumptruck out and push stuff around. didnt get a chance  tear it apart. worked fine and didnt make any noises or bind or nehting i ran it so the motor was barely revved w no ear muffs or anyhting so i could hear so everyhting seems to be the way it was

bushmechanic

Glad to hear you have no problems,that must be some kind of different axle in that machine and can't be very popular.I wonder is it a Clark axle,wish you had some pics posted so we could see what it actually is. 

timberjack240

i could get a few but i dont kno anything about postin pics on here haha. im not sure what they are they say rockwell and there pretty heavy i had the mech at lyons tell me it was liek an expeirimental thing or sumthin ?

saltydog

timberjack  tree farmer case soderham  some hanovers and some hydroaxs pettibone franklin  use many different versions there not experimental  numbers on any of the gears will usually get you the type it can be interesting getting the right used parts there very simple to to work on ive done it at -18 in the swamp once youve done any work in there  you will be glad you did youll save lotts of $ doin it yourself good luck
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

saltydog

sorry pettibone used thier own axles they used some of  the same clark trans as timberjack
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

elast

I believe that the axle being discussed here is a PR52 Rockwell. It is a very common axle and was used in Timberjack and Tree Farmer machines among others. The pins are brass and some even had a plate inboard that held all three pins from splaying out. There are thrust washers as indicated earlier. If your pins are coming out of carrier that is a definate issue and needs to be addressed. It sounds like the axle in question has had a modification done to it. I have seen many mods done over the years to solve various issues with this and many other axles. Should you require it I can supply you with a parts breakdown. I believe that the common ratio for this axle was 5/39 although I have seen 5/36 and 5/38. Because this is a Rockwell there are different ratios available that may not have been in a skidder but were in a wheel loader etc. that would fit in with no problem.

timberjack240

i ran the machine down the road a cpl miles and didnt have any problems .. knock on wood.. but ill keep u in mind for parts if my dealer cant get me what id need

dixmont

you have a pr625 rockwell the pins are held in with a set screw they leaked oil arond the pin thats why the cover was over the pin a very poor design you can replace the complete planetary with pr75 rockwell have done it many times your planetary is obsolete

timberjack240

well thats great to know i hope they dont fly apart if there obsolete

Thank You Sponsors!