iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boots - General Work

Started by Wudman, January 18, 2010, 04:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

Gentlemen,

I'm in the market for a new pair of boots.  I've been wearing Timberlands, Browning, Wolverines, and Rockies through the years.  Of the above brands, I usually bought what my dealer had on sale at the time.  I got good service out of all of the above.  The problem....I recently bought another pair of Rockies (from a discount store).  They were made in China and the leather tore at the base of one of the eyelets the third day that I had them.  I carried them back to the (discount) store that I bought them from and they would not take them back as I could not locate the receipt.  My brother in law runs a small farm supply business and he quit carrying Rockies due to all of the warranty claims he was getting on them.  He had to pay shipping to get them back to the company and was losing money on the line.

Anyway, it appears that most of these boot lines are now made in China.  Does anyone have a brand that they are satisfied with the service?  I'm rather partial to Gore-Tex and like to buy lightweight boots (and like to stay in the under $175 range).  Any suggestions?  Thanks for the help.

Wudman 

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

scsmith42

I asked a similar question a few years back - here is a link to the thread:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,22929.0.html

There is a lot of great feedback on that thread.

I found some US Made Redwings that are very comfortable, and I alternate between them and some imported Carhart boots.  The model numbers are in the string.  Both are lightweight, have a nice cushioned sole, and a tread type sole (as opposed to smooth), as well as being steel toed.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ely

good luck, most boot companys are making them across the pond these days. i still have some rockies that are holding up well, some two years old. our boot truck at work will stand behind whatever they sell.... so i just pick what catches my eye.

just ordered a new pair of 16" hoffmans last week. always wore westcos but wanted to try something else.

Reddog

celliott

I had a bad experience with a pair of danner boots one summer while working on a backcountry trail crew.  They were a discounted, made in china model, and needless to say, after a summer of abuse on the trail crew, they started leaking.(gore tex)  I give danner credit though, and they stood behind their product, and gave me the store value of the boots in credit(which was much more than I paid).  I used that credit to buy a nicer pair of American made danners, and am very satisfied with them.  I also bought a pair of steel toe chippewa arctic loggers, and am very pleased with those also.  Be careful if buying chippewa,  some models are made overseas, and some are made in the USA.  If I was in the market for a pair of good boots, the minimum I look for is gore tex(or equivalent), a vibram sole, and especially, a repairable goodyear welt.  You will end up paying probably at the least $50 more for a pair of American made boots.  But, IMO it is money well spent, you wont be dissapointed.  You shouldnt ever skimp on boots.  Like tires, they are what keeps you on the road, on the go.  You only get one pair of feet, treat them well.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Mark K

I like the American made Red Wing boots, the overseas ones dont hold up well. I recently bought a pair of Matterhorn 18" chainsaw boots. Leather is real good quality as well as the stitching.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

crd1957

im still wearing red wings. not as good as they were 30 yrs ago ; but what is?
a man should never wear a hat that has more character than he has. (will rogers)

Jasperfield

When you buy boots and shoes, probably moreso than with any other product, you get what you pay for.

I've worn White's boots since 1988. There is no better boot or fit.

They're not in the $175 price range. However, you'll get much more wear and service from them.

red oaks lumber

iv'e owned all the above names can't get 8 months on any of them, went with echo boot got 1 year $200  been using keen boots close to 1 year $120  also trying ariat boot $120. i'm not in mud or water just work on concrete 10-15 hrs / day
p.s every night my boots go on aboot drier.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

tyb525

I got a pair of Wolverines for Christmas, I put some waterproofer/boot oil on, and they have held up really well so far, thats working in the snow and slush, as well as inside on dry concrete.

Make sure to get some good insoles! They make a huge difference.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

It's hard to beat Red Wings or Danners.  Whatever you get, I'd insist that they have steel toes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

wudman
I am partial to the Danner boot. Nothing but, since 1983. Before that, Red Wing but my feet would sweat in those and they didn't hold up long. The Gore-tex in the Danners allow my feet to stay drier, breath better, and start out being comfortable (not like the Red Wing, that had to be 'broke' in).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

The Red Wings I have been buying for the last 8 years don't require much breaking in and the sole is softer so you don't slip on packed snow like a cow on ice. I had a pair of hard soles once and couldn't stand up on packed snow on roads. Worst things I ever had on my feet. The rest of the boot was excellent though, good leather, Gortex and good lining, but I couldn't wear them in winter and forget the woods that have slippery logs. If working on concrete and gravel they would be great. They had no brand stamped on them, just CSA approved was all I seen. They were steel toed as well. $300
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don_Papenburg

I have Redwings now  Made in USA   my last wolverines were  assembled in USA  Most were made in China.  My next pair will be Whites
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Jamie_C

I'm kinda partial to Terra workboots myself. They are a Canadian company and have two seperate product lines (or at least they did when i sold them) one line for Walmart and the other line for sale in "regular" workwear retailers. I'm usually pretty *DanG hard on footwear and i can usually get 2-3 years out of a pair of Terra's.

wi woodcutter

I have been using Redwings just make sure that they are the ones made in the USA. 
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Brad_bb

Original poster, you really didn't say what your use it.  Is it working on a concrete floor mostly, or out in the woods cutting trees?  Steel toe needed or not?  I'm guessing not if you go with a lightweight boot.  I use a pair of all leather Redwings mostly for use on concrete(around the shop).  They are heavier than I'd like, but are protective (non steel toe) and have lasted awhile and have a good cushioned sole for concrete.  I also have had Lowa mid hiking boots which have been comfortable and light weight and give good support, but unfortunately don't last but a year, and the tread wears and they are $200 a pair.   
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

des170stihl

I really like my Red Wings. My second choice on footwear is timberline...
STIHL MS170* STIHL MS260 Pro* STIHL MS 230* ECHO CS 341* Husky 339 XP * Wallenstein 20 Ton Splitter* Massey Ferguson 1528 w/Grapple ( Skidder Wanna Be ).

dutchman

I like Red Wing for hunting boots.
I buy Cabela's brand for price, they will replace boots that
break down to fast.
My brother just got Bates boots to kick around in, says they
are comfortable and breaking in easily.

Wudman

Thanks guys.  I appreciate the input.  Back in the days when a forester worked outdoors, I stayed abreast of the boot market as I went through a pair every 6 months.  I'd have three or four pairs on hand so as to have dry ones any given day......Gore-Tex was the best thing ever invented.  A boot dryer was a close second.  I even had a pair of White's once.  I found them in a shoe (repair) shop in Virginia.  How they got there, I don't know, but they were basically new.  I bought them for $15.  I was in college at the time and would put them on to walk to class.  About half way there, I would have to take them off.  It took a while to get them broken in, but they served me well through a handfull of fire seasons after that.  They were delegated to "show duty" after I got stuck in the swamps of Eastern North Carolina.  They were laid to rest last year after 22 years of service (light duty for the last 18).  

As a forester today, I spend most of my time sitting behind a desk typing on a computer or riding up and down the highway checking on contractors.  My last rotation of boots (Browning and Wolverines) has lasted three years.  they were very good boots.  When I went for a replacement, everything I picked up was made in China.  Based on everyone's input, I think I'll stop by the Red Wing store.  They are always advertising "free cleanings and free laces for life" in the local paper.  I think I'll take them up on it.  

Wudman  
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

pappy19

I am a huge White's bbot fan. I have one pair that I have had rebuilt 3 times over 20 years. I personally like their "Packer" laceup cowboy style in a 12" top, with the mini-Vibram sole. For hard forestry work and fire fighting, their Smokejumper is very popular. Not cheap, but made in Spokane, WA and the best, IMHO.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

fstedy

Just love my Red Wing Wellington Boots. Usually get new soles and heels several times before they wear out in about 5 years.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

moonhill

This is a test, please stand by...

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Thank You Sponsors!