iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightning never strikes twice in the same place....don't believe it(pics)

Started by WildDog, January 16, 2010, 07:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDog

We had a lightning storm the other evening and as usuall I went around the paddocks to check for fires/trees over fences  and found this tree struck, you can see in the back ground 30 yards away a tree struck similarly 3yrs ago, the worst thing is there is a heap of stringy bark euc's that I would prefer to loose but these are nice White Box euc's. :(

These pics are of goats and the old faithfull livestock guardian dogs that were in the paddock at the time of the storm, we occassionally loose cattle and goats to strikes but hav'nt lost a dog yet fortunately.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

stonebroke

You have some nice grass. I am waiting for our ground to green up, only about four more months.

Stonebroke

WildDog

Stonebroke as far as Australia goes my area is cold and suffers a winter feed drought.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Planman1954

I have a little story about lightning. My father (now deceased) and some other folks were at his camphouse, which faces a pond here in north Louisiana. I actually live on an adjacent property with another pond next to the one where this happened. Anyway, he was inside the camp and heard a gigantic BOOM. They looked outside and then walked outside on the concrete porch to find fish jumping out of the pond, since the water had been hit and electrified. Suddenly, as they were commenting to one another on the sight...BOOM.. It hit right at their feet and knocked them down. The bolt went into the camphouse plumbing and did a lot of electrical and plumbing damage. I does stike twice near the same place!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

WDH

WildDog,

It looks like the dog is about to herd you up, and the goats are enjoying watching  :D

Nice pics!  I was able to visit NSW in the Tumut area, and I found it to be a beautiful place.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I have lost at least 3 trees due to lighting in about half mile.My trees are the highest around.Everyone else has had their cut off.
Are those Boar goats for meat? Can't quite tell.Looks like quite a herd.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WildDog

WDH my mothers familys farm was at Tumut but when they flooded the valleys for the big dam I think its called the Blowering? there farms went totally under.

Cfarm your right they are Boer X goats I started in the 90's by mustering in feral goats from up in the hills and joining them to stud bucks from South Africa, I prefer the cross they're hardier in winter than full blood Boers. This Boer meat if you get the right age and cut is really good eating and quite healthy, we run between 400 and 600 head with the cattle, they are good at scrub control but suffer from predation.

stonebroke

Norm

I'll loan you my donkey WD. She is just a little over a year old now and yesterday while filling the fat horse and her's water tank my lab wandered into the paddock with us. She took one look at the dog and took off after her and almost killed her with her front hooves. Lucky for Ali she got underneath the electric fence before the hooves got her.

Last year we had her in a shared pasture with a couple of dozen sheep and normally they lose a few to the coyotes each year. None were lost with the donkey on guard though.

fishpharmer

Wow, 600 head is a lot of goats.  Nice looking herd you got there.  I have considered running some goats with my cows.  My concern is that they will eat all the grass for the cows.  I have heard they don't prefer the grass, what's your experience Wilddog?  Also, I was wondering what kind of predators you had?  Wilddog's? ;)

Norm, glad the dog was okay, is the donkey otherwise friendly to people?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Norm

Well she is to Patty Fish. :D

Me she's not to sure about after the halter training we had upon her arrival. She also decided she didn't like being in her pasture so I gave her a good workout with the 4 wheeler....she couldn't wait to get back in. :D

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

tomsteve

looks like that strike also froze all the goats in place too!!! :D have you seen the movie ( the curious case of benjamin buttons"? pretty funny gut in it. i think he only talks about the times he was struck by lightning.

SPIKER

yep lots of lighting strikes in same place, usually at different times, I think someplace I read/heard that the Washington monument is struck about 9~12 times per year. same with the Jesus stature in San-Paula Brazil!  (both places have dedicated equipment to dampen the severity and number of strikes...   There are many buildings all over that have similar problems...   One area near my home town has a large field that had many medium sized trees and they would regularly get hit too...

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WildDog

Stonebroke no wolves, main predators are WildDogs/Dingos, Red Foxs, Wedge Tailed Eagles and feral pigs., this season the Crows really gave the new borns a hardtime.

Norm I am starting to see a lot more donkeys used for guarding livestock, I am not getting any, had a bad experience with a donkey when I jumped on a Jenny bareback and her amorous partener tried mounting her while I was already on her back  :o DanG I had put that experience behind me, hope the nightmares and cold sweats don't return. :(

Fish don't believe it, goats will compete with your cattle for grass, however they do like to browse shrubs, weeds etc and won't normally eat your clovers. I find that you can add 10% of your cattle numbers in goats without lowing the carrying capacity. We use a formulae called DSE (Dry sheep equivelant) a dry sheep being a 40kilogram wether. 1 dry cow = 10DSE.

Tomsteve I havn't seen Benjamin Buttons, I always fall asleep in movies.

VT_Forestry

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Thank You Sponsors!