iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

frost warnings

Started by David_c, October 02, 2003, 09:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_c

supposed to get down to the 20s tonight brrrrrrrrrr i do believe it will be a nasty winter.

Tobacco Plug

Shocked and amazed, I was this morning!  The weatherman had mentioned a chance of patchy light frost, but mostly up near the Virginia line.  I am about 100 miles south of that.  So, this morning I went out the door and there was frost on the handrail of the back steps, frost on the ground, frost on the pickup.  In fact, there was frost everywhere and I am on top of a hill with plenty of good air drainage.  Guess that means I need to get busy cutting more firewood! ;)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Wudman

I'm about 40 miles north of the VA/NC border.  We had a hard frost here this morning for the first of the year.  There is/was still a lot of tobacco in the fields around here.  We finished up around noon yesterday, so we just beat it.  The Farmer's Almanac is predicting a pretty tough winter, so get that firewood cut.  Isabel left us plenty if you need a little.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

ohsoloco

We had our first frost last night as well, and a pretty good one at that.  Got up around nine and there was frost everywhere that was still in the shade.  Hard winter  ???  not what I want to hear, I'm closing on an uninsulated house mid November, and still have to install the boiler after closing  :-/

David_c

we had a 1/2" of ice in dogs water bowls this morning. heck with all the rain we had this year i'm thinking the the guys with plows are going to make some money this year if the wether pattern doesnt change.

Bibbyman

You know I hate to derail a post,  but I just got to thinking...  It would be a good time to change the hydraulic oil and filter in our Wood-Mizer.   I think they spec thinner oil in the winter.

Now back to the program.

It's been down to 36 here and we've had hard frost on the windows.  Yesterday morning there was a skim of ice on the tractor seat. :-X
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

L. Wakefield

I covered up the more tender of the veggies- still got tomatoes and peppers. The kohls I am letting get a taste of frost- makes em better. And the Jerusalem artichokes are in full bloom. The flowers stand so high I doubt they felt the frost kiss em at all. It was 34* this am when I left at 7:20. But I had a suspicion it would go lower. Mike came out of the woods at about 8:30 and said a lot of the field had some frost on them. I got the tropicals moved just in time- Wednesday night.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Captain

Yep,  Bought a new battery for the tractor today.  Had to jump it a couple of times last year in the cold snaps, so I knew it was coming.  28 degrees this morning did it in.  I had some of that seat ice too.

Captain

CHARLIE

We had a killing frost on Oct 2nd when the temp dropped to about 23 degrees. The next day all the leaves on all the ash trees in this area (SE Minnesota) dropped there leaves. Completely! :o  The paper said the pumpkin crops took a beating and are having huge losses in the $millions.

Which reminds me.......they had the Largest Pumpkin contest a few days ago and the winning pumpkin was over 1000 pounds ( I don't remember the exact weight). There were two other pumpkins over 900 pounds each. Now that's a lot of pie!!! ;D  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

David_c

now those are some big pumkins but what the heck do you do with it. one that big i quess you could use your chainsaw to make one heck of a jack alantern ;D

oldsaw

and your clothes for a week.  Your wife would make your slimy self sleep out in the shed, and you would freeze your dingles off sitting on the frozen tractor seat.

Nope, that would be one bad plan.  Chainsaws are best used on wood, not dainty ice sculptures, and massacres in Texas.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Don P

Sawzall  :D
It was a rude snap this week here on the NC/VA border, heard 20 reported Thursday by alot of folks, it was warmer yesterday and today. Lost the hydrangea (or hi geraniums to some of the local little old ladies  ;D) blooms that were trying to color up. Walnuts did the same thing as Charlies Ash, just nipped em off.

Apple butter is in the air now. Did you know if you put a dab on your forehead your tongue will slap your brains out just trying to get at it. Well, I've been afraid to try it but thats what they say. Need to go down the mountain and get some 'simmons next week.

Thank You Sponsors!