iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New tool slide hammer nail remover

Started by Brad_bb, January 14, 2010, 10:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I made this tool for removing the tough to remove ring shank nails from a the sheet metal of a Morton pole building without wrecking the sheet metal(to be reused). This cats paw will get behind the rubber washered nail head, and the slide hammer will jerk it out. Sometimes it takes more than one slap of the slide hammer.  I just finished it and tried it on a few nails.  I decided to put it on a bigger slide hammer than shown.  The one shown is my smaller one.

I pre-heated the catspaw part and TIG welded a piece of 1.5" angle iron that is tapered to the cats paw.  Then I tig welded the two gussets in place.  After I made it, I talked to a Morton building dealer and he said they make the same kind of slide hammer attachment for themselves.  He said the only problem was needing to reweld due to breakage, but they probably weren't TIG welding them is my guess.  I found, and he agreed that this attachment is not commercially available, hence why we have to make our own.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dana

That's a great idea. Last summer I removed a galvanized roof with a cats paw and left dimples and small rips in the metal from pulling the nail out. This made the roofing unuseable for roofing.  I bet that with the slide hammer pulling straight out that wouldn't happen.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!