iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old wood stoves

Started by 567paloggger, January 14, 2010, 05:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

567paloggger

does anyone still burn the old fisher and all nighter wood stoves i think they are the best they are much better than the new ones it seems i burn an all nighter big moe and i have others i refurbish during the winter months as a hobby but my stove will burn for 12 to 15 hours at a time just wondering if anyone else burns the older stoves still thanks guys

bill m

I have a Big Moe I bought used in 1981. Use it 24/7 for 5 months every year. Still looks as good today as the day I bought it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

tyb525

We have one from the late 80's, a Federal Airtight from Vermont Castings, that is burning day and night all through winter. It is our primary source of heat and it does a good job.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

woodmills1

vermont casings makes very nice well performing wood stoves

My free hat machine outdoor stove is actually made by timber ridge, they have produced wood stoves for years.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ironwood

Vermont Defiant, we like it alot.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

mometal77

I grew up with a fisher.  Two cut pieces and rounds of hardwood.. maple..and small pieces in between.  Also my mom cooked cooked on an old 1863 homecomfort.  Great for thanksgiving.

rob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

stonebroke

Riteway from the 70's

Stonebroke

Ironwood

Oh, yeah, we have a Copper Clad in the basement (my bestman's wedding gift to us), s when TSHF we will cooking on that baby. I still cant understand the logic of a pellet stove, unless it can burn corn and your a corn farmer.  ::)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Raider Bill

Don't buy a Englander, I did wish I hadn't :'( >:(
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Wudman

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 18, 2010, 08:22:22 AM

I had a little better luck with my Englander.  I bought it second hand in 1990.  My brother in law bartered for it for some repair work he did on a guy's car.  When I got it, it had been sitting outside for six months and was pretty rusty.  I cleaned it up, applied some black and relined the fire brick.  It has been heating my parents home (a 1910 4-Square) for the last 17-18 years.  The best $100 I ever spent. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Mark K

I have a Glacier Bay woodstove, was put in this house in the 70's. Good stove, burns 24-7 during the winter. Just had to replace the fire brick.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Raider Bill

Quote from: Wudman on January 18, 2010, 04:13:34 PM
Quote from: Raider Bill on January 18, 2010, 08:22:22 AM

I had a little better luck with my Englander.  I bought it second hand in 1990.  My brother in law bartered for it for some repair work he did on a guy's car.  When I got it, it had been sitting outside for six months and was pretty rusty.  I cleaned it up, applied some black and relined the fire brick.  It has been heating my parents home (a 1910 4-Square) for the last 17-18 years.  The best $100 I ever spent. 

Wudman

Mines got a glass door. They have the intake coming over the top of the glass to suppsedly keep it clean but what happens is the air comes in and goes right up the stack. Not much air gets to the coals. MAkes it hard to get a good hot fire going.
Poor design.

Worst part was the lack of customer service from them. Another story....

I already jacked this thread.

567paloggger

raider mill i will sell you a fisher mama bear but its gonna cost you

Raider Bill

I remember those old fisher stoves. Helped a friend put one in back in the 70's. I think it too was a mama bear.

Banjo picker

We got a Kodiak when we built the house 25 years ago....It has two doors with glass..I managed to break one once...replaced the gaskets several times and the brick when they get broke up too much...It looks as good as the day I put it in and works great    will hold fire over night ....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

NWwoodsman

Just brokered a deal for a friend. It's a orele , round stove that was made in oregon. Got it for $150, it was seating outside for awhile, but cleaned up nice. They went for over $1500 when they where new. Had one that I got for a cord of firewood but sold it too cheap. Wish I still had it best burner I ever had, and good looking too.

mad murdock

Had a fisher baby bear, they are nice stoves, but can coke up (the Chimeny) real quick if you don't pay attention to how you are burning.  Easy way to clean the chimney though when you do find out you were burning to lean on air,for too long, and the chimney starts screaming, and you are sporting a 10 ft plus flame out the raincap.  Sold the baby bear, and had an older Lopi upstairs, moved it to the basement, and now it heats the whole house, (about 1800 sq. ft.).  Anyone ever used or seen those fancy soapstone stoves?  They look real nice, and they say they heat longer than steel??
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SwampDonkey

Every household around here had an Enterprise kitchen wood burning stove. And that's in days with no such thing as insulation and -30F January. Even in old fish and game camps in my lifetime, there was an Enterprise sitting right there. My furnace is also Enterprise. I can bead the sweat out on ya real quick with that baby. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Qweaver

Quote from: Ironwood on January 17, 2010, 06:32:36 PM
Oh, yeah, we have a Copper Clad in the basement (my bestman's wedding gift to us), s when TSHF we will cooking on that baby. I still cant understand the logic of a pellet stove, unless it can burn corn and your a corn farmer.  ::)

Ironwood
Why have a pellet stove?
1.Fill it once a day
2.Clean fuel
3. About the same cost for fuel if you have to buy the wood
4.Clean it every 2 to 3 days
5. Very little ash
6. 5 heat adjustments
I could go on.  I would never consider going back to a wood stove.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

NWwoodsman

So what are you going to do when the power goes out, run a generater to run your pellet stove?? I guess the power dosen't go out where you live. I'd say most people who have an old wood stove have them so they don't have to rely on a power company or pellet manufacter for they're heat. At least I do.

Paul_H

I have a woodstove but it relies on a circulating fan to push the air to the rest of the house.If the power goes out,I can keep a low fire to maintain temps above freezing.We also have a generator ready to hook up.

QuoteSo what are you going to do when the power goes out, run a generater to run your pellet stove??

Why not? Even people with woodstoves like to have some lights and maybe a little tv for a few hours a day.
Do pellet stoves still come with a 12v hookup? Friends of ours had a hookup at the back to connect a 12v auto battery that would run the pellet stove auger and fan for hours.The battery could be topped up on the charger during the time the generator runs at night.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Qweaver

Quote from: NWwoodsman on February 09, 2010, 12:59:57 PM
So what are you going to do when the power goes out, run a generater to run your pellet stove?? I guess the power dosen't go out where you live. I'd say most people who have an old wood stove have them so they don't have to rely on a power company or pellet manufacter for they're heat. At least I do.
Yep, we have a 7500 watt generator/welder setting downstairs that takes just a minute to start. I keep 10 gal of gas on hand and a full tank in the generator.  We also have 2 portable propane heaters that require no electric to operate.  I would need the generator even if I had a woodstove because I have a mechanical room downstairs that could freeze without the small electric heater that we use to keep that room above 32.  I could put a small propane heater down there if I had to.
We had a Hearthstone woodstove and I loved it's looks and the heat that it made.  I just got tired of carting bug filled wood in several times a day and we could never stop the stove from smoking when the wind blew hard.  I have several friends that have woodstoves and all of them complain about smoking in high wind.  The older I get the less I want to spend large portions of time making firewood.  I guess I'm just taking the easy way out.  We have a Geothermal heatpump and I wouldn't have to run a stove at all... but we like it.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

downeast

Quote from: Qweaver on February 08, 2010, 01:55:02 PM
Why have a pellet stove?
1.Fill it once a day
2.Clean fuel
3. About the same cost for fuel if you have to buy the wood
4.Clean it every 2 to 3 days
5. Very little ash
6. 5 heat adjustments
I could go on.  I would never consider going back to a wood stove.
[/quote]

Why not to use pellets.
1. High energy to manufacture. Ain't green.
2. Fewer BTUs per ton than most hardwood = less heat.
3. Inconsistent quality e.g. loose binders making dust.
4. VERY noisy grinding = no romantic evening by "the fire".
5. Pellet stoves need high maintenance for 24/7 heating-cleaning, motor breakdowns.
6. The stoves are butt ugly. ;D
7. For the snow belt, the stoves don't put out--heat that is.
8. Pellets look like rat droppings. :D
9. Inconsistent and unreliable supply in ALL parts of N. America.
10. I don't like them. :o
11. How the H are you going to get Mr. GoodBody if you can't cut real wood ?
12. What do I do with my chainsaws ? Cut 2" pellets to size ?  :(
and.......
13. Pellets put firewood sellers out of business.

More to come...............

downeast

Quote from: Qweaver on February 09, 2010, 02:43:18 PM
We had a Hearthstone woodstove and I loved it's looks and the heat that it made.  I just got tired of carting bug filled wood in several times a day and we could never stop the stove from smoking when the wind blew hard.  I have several friends that have woodstoves and all of them complain about smoking in high wind.  The older I get the less I want to spend large portions of time making firewood.  I guess I'm just taking the easy way out.  We have a Geothermal heatpump and I wouldn't have to run a stove at all... but we like it.

Flue downdrafts are an easy fix: the right cap, the correct height, enough heat in the fire to keep the flue draft. I can count on one 4 fingered hand the number of times we get a downdraft usually with low barometer, higher temps in the 40's, and slow low fires IF we're not careful. You can bet we have some Force 6+ winter winds here.

"Making firewood" has got to be part of your life if heating with wood. It's a choice, often tough, sweaty, filthy, risky. I love it since we harvest ONLY in winter here: hard ground, no moldy armpits, no bugs, mostly snow cover. BTW: no serious vipers in Maine !  It keeps this __ (fill in age here ) body in good shape for summer, gives us an excuse to have a beer after woods work. Geothermal = $$$$$$$. Big, big $$$.  The firewood is done as a part of managing the woodlots anyhow. Boy do I love the $$$$ savings. Next summer, we're off to Norway thanks to the money saved.  We do use propane for cooking and hot water ( Rinnai tankless) . We have neighbors in their mid-80's who had to stop cutting their own last year after he had a hip replacement. And, they still heat AND cook year-round with wood.

Hey, we're up north, it is often cold ( say below zero with snow and winds ). The wood racks are loaded once per day, out of a cart. No more. That's not so tough. Or is it ? When I start whining about it, it will be time to not come down for breakfast.  :D

SwampDonkey

I'd freeze to death without wood.  ;) Even if I lost power my forced air furnace would keep me warm as heat rises as we know. ;) In all the years I've lived here, over 40, never went without power for more than 2 hours. However your BTU per ton of pellets vs split firewood theory doesn't hold up to a candle I'm afraid. ;) Trouble with any pellet stoves I've seen around is they are undersized for the space they are required to heat in many instances. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!