iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler e-classic

Started by Austin 64, December 16, 2010, 12:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin 64

Okay, I've read all the e-classic posts and just bought a unit.  I previously owned, for eight years going on nine years, a Classic 5636 SCL (stainless).

I looked at the unit when it was first released however I was concerned with CB getting involved in a first generation gasification unit.  Apparently I had good judgement.

My decision was primarily based on wood consumption and the recent incentives.  My wood resource is down dead trees from the local state forest lands.  So generally what I cut is well seasoned in most cases although physically wet. Due to my busy schedule I usually cut and burn immediately, and the Classic did not have an issue with this.

They installed my e-classic 1400, manufacture date 8/10, on Monday December 13th 2010.  It turned into one of the most coldest days we've had this year with temperatures dropping to 20 degrees with very high winds.  Normally the Classic would take at least three heavy loads to handle this and I usually kept the top temperature at 165-170.

The e-classic has a smaller fire box and I loaded at 12 hour intervals.  The stove kept up and the set temperature is 185.  I truly believe the e-classic used less wood for the same heat load.  So the claim the the e-classic uses less wood appears true.

Okay, now onto the differences.  In the above I mixed some very dry and seasoned wood I recently inherited through my brother-in-law moving.  I'm positive this helped in the difference in performance.  I paid close attention to the creosote build-up and certainly see some throughout the firebox. I really don't think this is more then the Classic.  More the case I was paying attention to the build-up.  I could certainly see where if not watched and managed this could be an issue with performance.

So far I'm in the honeymoon stage and reading all the posts has helped me to learn this new stove.  I bought the new stove because of the incentives and the possible reductions in wood use (my labor).  The first stove paid for itself in the first three years and was a good investment.  I'm positive this stove will do the same in comparison to oil and will require less wood.  Yes it appears to take more work in keeping it clean but that is less effort in getting more wood.

I picked up on comments from posts and what my dealer stated.  He tried the first generation units and sent his back for a factory rebuild along with a few of his customers.  He said the first generations used a timing method for the low/high burn process where the new units have a temperature sensor for the high burn.  The temperature sensor helps the logic to correctly know when to switch functions.  Additionally the new stoves have different air supply outlets to deal with creosote build up similar to the field modifications.

Also this unit has a single chase from the reaction chamber to the stack.  I asked the dealer about this as I remember the multiple tubes on the early units.  He said they went to the single channel on the new units which require less cleaning.

All this said and after burning a Classic for eight years I think as others have said, this is new technology.  It is also technology we have to embrace moving forward as many restrictions have been placed on OWB.  Personally I think users have brought this on themselves in improper use of the stove such as burning garbage.  I also believe if used properly with the proper fuel source we all win.

At this point, would I purchase the e-classic again giving the same incentives?  Yes

Do I think the e-classic is a good stove, today, yes.  This endorsement given the fact you understand the fuel and maintenance requirements.  So far I believe the stove outperforms the classic even given the same fuel.  i think the e-classic will certainly reduce my wood usage and in a trade-off of feeding versus cleaning the e-classic will come out ahead.

Dean186

Hi Austin,

I have owned my E-classic 1400 for over a year now and it is nice to see some other owners of this model on the forum.
You have some good comments above and it's nice to see firsthand knowledge from someone who owned the old technology and now the newer technology outdoor furnace. 

I am certain I spend less time tinkering with the operation of the new technology than it would take me to prep and handle the extra cords of wood the old technology requires.

I now feel I can ask and give specific comments, as they relate to the E-Classic 1400, since there are a few forum members with the E-Classic 1400.

Dean

doctorb

Austin-

Well thought out discussion of your experience.  Welcome to the FF.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Austin 64

Dean,

Thanks for the feedback on the post.  Just curious, does your unit have the enhancements or did you have to perform the field modifications?

Having the unit for a year, what has your experience been with the cleaning aspect?

Also any thoughts on larger chunks of wood?  The old Classic was not critical to size, if it fit through the 24x24" door it burned.  Kind of nice not having to split those stubborn pieces.

Austin

Dean186

Quote from: Austin 64 on December 16, 2010, 07:43:02 PM
Dean,

Thanks for the feedback on the post.  Just curious, does your unit have the enhancements or did you have to perform the field modifications?

Having the unit for a year, what has your experience been with the cleaning aspect?

Also any thoughts on larger chunks of wood?  The old Classic was not critical to size, if it fit through the 24x24" door it burned.  Kind of nice not having to split those stubborn pieces.

Austin

Austin, You have my attention.  I am not aware of any enhancements and I have not done any field modifications.  My serial number is 00097 and this unit was manufactured in July of 2009.

I burn chunks that just barely fit through my door, but one at a time.  I won't put another large piece in until that one is mostly gone.  The larger pieces are mostly stumps and hard to split logs.  I haven't had any problems at all with the occasional large chunk.

Cleaning schedule:

* Almost daily - I break up ash bed, loosen creosote accumulation in bottom of firebox,  and sprinkle a little "Ash Trol" if convenient.

* Ash removal is weekly

* Heat Exchanger is scrapped every other week

After the every other week cleaning I will go a few days with doing nothing but just throwing wood into the fire box.

I really like the new tool Central Boiler sent to the E-classic owners.  I understand that the new tool and their all metal hoes are shipping with current production E-Classics.  I use the new tool to break up the ash bed, scrap sides of firebox, bust up creosote accumulation in bottom of firebox, poke holes in ash bed when needed, and I also use it in conjunction with the other tool they provided for scrapping the walls of heat exchanger.  I have the all metal hoe which I used exclusively last year, but I now use the new tool 80% of the time.

Austin 64

Dean,

Sorry for the long delay, busy at year end.  The modifications were posted here at forestry forum, I reviewed many threads before my purchase.  I looked at the e-classic unit when they first came out and was cautious of the new venue for CB.

Apparently on the early stoves CB had just small holes for the air inlets that were clogging with creosote.  They had a field modification to enlarge the holes among other things.  The new stoves have elongated holes and due not apparently clog.  In addition the new stoves operate off of temperature with a temperature probe in the reaction chamber. The probe provides a more accurate control of the air being supplied from what I gather.

The tool seems to fit the elongated holes to easily clean them out. 

On my unit, at least so far, the bottom set of holes keep themselves clean of creosote.  The upper set have a slight build-up of creosote but nothing that would block them off.

Thank You Sponsors!