TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Farmi Winch Direct

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: old wood stoves  (Read 27738 times)

Offline 567paloggger

old wood stoves
« on: January 14, 2010, 05:14:38 pm »
does anyone still burn the old fisher and all nighter wood stoves i think they are the best they are much better than the new ones it seems i burn an all nighter big moe and i have others i refurbish during the winter months as a hobby but my stove will burn for 12 to 15 hours at a time just wondering if anyone else burns the older stoves still thanks guys

Offline bill m

• Senior Member x2
Re: old wood stoves
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:54:36 pm »
I have a Big Moe I bought used in 1981. Use it 24/7 for 5 months every year. Still looks as good today as the day I bought it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:30:40 pm »
We have one from the late 80's, a Federal Airtight from Vermont Castings, that is burning day and night all through winter. It is our primary source of heat and it does a good job.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Seems I do more construction work than sawmill work these days.

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:30:28 pm »
vermont casings makes very nice well performing wood stoves

My free hat machine outdoor stove is actually made by timber ridge, they have produced wood stoves for years.
James Mills    Lovely wife   collect old tools  vaccuming fool  36 bd ft per hour
 oak paper cutter,   apple jacks   ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family,  LT70 and edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob, did I say free heat machine no oil 9 years, big splitter

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 05:32:23 pm »
Vermont Defiant, we like it alot.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline mometal77

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 02:48:45 pm »
I grew up with a fisher.  Two cut pieces and rounds of hardwood.. maple..and small pieces in between.  Also my mom cooked cooked on an old 1863 homecomfort.  Great for thanksgiving.

rob
"To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal ideas from many is research"

Before you become old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

I could have been a millionaire instead I became a tramp.

PPL are too lazy to work and too stupid to steal.

Offline stonebroke

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 06:04:19 pm »
Riteway from the 70's

Stonebroke

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 06:32:36 pm »
Oh, yeah, we have a Copper Clad in the basement (my bestman's wedding gift to us), s when TSHF we will cooking on that baby. I still cant understand the logic of a pellet stove, unless it can burn corn and your a corn farmer.  ::)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 08:22:22 am »
Don't buy a Englander, I did wish I hadn't :'( >:(
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 04:13:34 pm »

I had a little better luck with my Englander.  I bought it second hand in 1990.  My brother in law bartered for it for some repair work he did on a guy's car.  When I got it, it had been sitting outside for six months and was pretty rusty.  I cleaned it up, applied some black and relined the fire brick.  It has been heating my parents home (a 1910 4-Square) for the last 17-18 years.  The best $100 I ever spent. 

Wudman

Offline Mark K

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 05:32:10 pm »
I have a Glacier Bay woodstove, was put in this house in the 70's. Good stove, burns 24-7 during the winter. Just had to replace the fire brick.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 05:37:00 pm »

I had a little better luck with my Englander.  I bought it second hand in 1990.  My brother in law bartered for it for some repair work he did on a guy's car.  When I got it, it had been sitting outside for six months and was pretty rusty.  I cleaned it up, applied some black and relined the fire brick.  It has been heating my parents home (a 1910 4-Square) for the last 17-18 years.  The best $100 I ever spent. 

Wudman

Mines got a glass door. They have the intake coming over the top of the glass to suppsedly keep it clean but what happens is the air comes in and goes right up the stack. Not much air gets to the coals. MAkes it hard to get a good hot fire going.
Poor design.

Worst part was the lack of customer service from them. Another story....

I already jacked this thread.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!

Offline 567paloggger

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 05:41:59 pm »
raider mill i will sell you a fisher mama bear but its gonna cost you

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 05:56:04 pm »
I remember those old fisher stoves. Helped a friend put one in back in the 70's. I think it too was a mama bear.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 06:28:21 pm »
We got a Kodiak when we built the house 25 years ago....It has two doors with glass..I managed to break one once...replaced the gaskets several times and the brick when they get broke up too much...It looks as good as the day I put it in and works great    will hold fire over night ....Tim
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline NWwoodsman

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 08:58:01 pm »
Just brokered a deal for a friend. It's a orele , round stove that was made in oregon. Got it for $150, it was seating outside for awhile, but cleaned up nice. They went for over $1500 when they where new. Had one that I got for a cord of firewood but sold it too cheap. Wish I still had it best burner I ever had, and good looking too.

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 05:20:03 pm »
Had a fisher baby bear, they are nice stoves, but can coke up (the Chimeny) real quick if you don't pay attention to how you are burning.  Easy way to clean the chimney though when you do find out you were burning to lean on air,for too long, and the chimney starts screaming, and you are sporting a 10 ft plus flame out the raincap.  Sold the baby bear, and had an older Lopi upstairs, moved it to the basement, and now it heats the whole house, (about 1800 sq. ft.).  Anyone ever used or seen those fancy soapstone stoves?  They look real nice, and they say they heat longer than steel??
'64 Garrett 15A, Woodland Bumblebee CSM, Granberg Alaskan III, Logosol Timberjigg, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 06:01:18 pm »
Every household around here had an Enterprise kitchen wood burning stove. And that's in days with no such thing as insulation and -30F January. Even in old fish and game camps in my lifetime, there was an Enterprise sitting right there. My furnace is also Enterprise. I can bead the sweat out on ya real quick with that baby. ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
  • The cabin is done and we love it
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 01:55:02 pm »
Oh, yeah, we have a Copper Clad in the basement (my bestman's wedding gift to us), s when TSHF we will cooking on that baby. I still cant understand the logic of a pellet stove, unless it can burn corn and your a corn farmer.  ::)

Ironwood
Why have a pellet stove?
1.Fill it once a day
2.Clean fuel
3. About the same cost for fuel if you have to buy the wood
4.Clean it every 2 to 3 days
5. Very little ash
6. 5 heat adjustments
I could go on.  I would never consider going back to a wood stove.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple :D

Offline NWwoodsman

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 12:59:57 pm »
So what are you going to do when the power goes out, run a generater to run your pellet stove?? I guess the power dosen't go out where you live. I'd say most people who have an old wood stove have them so they don't have to rely on a power company or pellet manufacter for they're heat. At least I do.