iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

in the woods for the first time this year Pic(pics added)

Started by Quebecnewf, January 14, 2010, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

critter

If you was to sorta fall off your boat while trying to get ashore
      then maybe run over your chainsaw a little later cuss your brother
      in law out and probley should fall a tree on your shelter. You mlght
      be able to get a ten week  spot on the history chanel .

YukonJon

How does this year compare to previous years? In the Yukon here we have very little snow in the woods, its very warm also for January.

Jon

Quebecnewf

We have a lot less snow this year than last year at this time. The sea ice bridge frose up about one week later than it did last year. A few years back we did not cross on the ice until Feb 7th. It varies from year to year. Approx 12 years ago we had little to no snow all winter but it was cold enough to freeze up the ice. It does seem that things are slowly getting warmer overall but who knows.

Cold all this week by the forcast and no snow to be seen

Quebecnewf

SwampDonkey

Tonight is going to be real cold here, not severe, but Dang cold. Around -15 F, plus 2 F now.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Quebecnewf

-23 here this morn and with the windchill factored in it is -36C. For those of you on the imperial system -40C is the same as -40F.

Staying home today have work to do around the business. Still little to no snow. We have been cutting and now have 140 logs piled along our "paths" in the woods. Still not near enough snow to haul any logs . We have been cutting and walking around the woods wiith no snowshoes which is unheard of in this region in Feb.

Quebecnewf

SwampDonkey

Not as cold as predicted for here, -11 F. Cold enough though, but the house is warm. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Quebecnewf

We have been logging and have now cut around 180 logs. We have piled them next to the path but we have no path as we have no snow. It has been fairly cold here but tonght it is snowing which we need .Sunday we are supposed to get rain which we do not need.

I am going to keep cutting hopefully the snow will come soon if not I will have no choice but to stack these logs in the woods and wait for next year.

Quebecnewf

Ron Scott

~Ron

stonebroke

If it doesn't snow  you will have to think about getting a atv and a log arch.

Stonebroke

Quebecnewf

A log arch and a ATV are not an option. These logs are approx 15 klm from the mill. Some of that distance is over sea ice, its by snowmobile or nothing. If things do not get better soon I may try to haul them to the salt water a distance of about 3.5 klm. I would pile them near the shore and raft them home to the mill with my boat when the ice melts. I can pull at least 400 logs per trip by boat and we would say one day to make the raft and tow. Then another day to pull them ashore and pile them on the rack or land near the mill.

Time and weather will tell

Quebecnewf

Kevin

newf, do you have any trouble starting that Honda engine on the portable winch if it sits more than a couple of weeks?

Quebecnewf

No I must say it works very well. Even in the summer when it has been sitting for a month it is just a couple of pulls and away it goes.

We had a temp of -23 here a few days back and that engine was sitting in the woods in its box frozen like a popsicle . It took a few extra pulls to get it to go but it ran fine. On really cold days we take it to the cabin and warm it up next to the stove while were having lunch and then we pull logs in the afternoon.

I've said before this was the best money I ever spent. It is a little pricy but it works great and is a very versatile tool. I used it this fall to haul baskets of stone up a ramp and then dump them in a crib that sits under my workshop.

Quebecnewf

bushmechanic

Nice log piles but what about the rest of the tree? Do you use it for firewood or pulpwood?

Mooseherder

I'm gonna put the Honda portable winch on my want list. ;)

Rick Alger

Quebecnewf

I usually have someone in with me cutting firewood of the tops but not this year. I wish I could talk someone in to doing that . I hate to waste wood but no choice on this job.

Quebecnewf

justintimemoto

off topic but going through the ice sucs me my dad and uncle broke through and went under the other weekend and the wheelers and everything went under includeing us
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

SwampDonkey

One of my rules is stay off the ice if there is over a foot of water under it. And that's a pond I know the depth on.

Going under ice, especially with current involved is scary stuff even for a guy that never went through it.  ;)

Glad you guys made it out. 

justintimemoto

thanks you always think it wont happen to me but it does and it happens when you least expect it :o
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

Quebecnewf

The main thing with all ice travel is

"If you don't know don't go!!!!!!"

Quebecnewf

Here is a pic I took in the early morning . Were walking scross from the island to the mainland. The ice is about 4" and very smooth as you can see in the pic. You will also see if you look closely a section of rope on the ice this rope is fastened around my waste. Wife is carrying day bag and also a section of wood about 8' long. This would be a rescue strip if you go through. I am carrying a axe and checking with that every few dz steps.

Quebecnewf

justintimemoto

yea the thing  is that there was a foot of ice on the lake and a car went throught the water  about a hour before we did and  the state troopers and dec knew but no one ever blocked the spot off to warm any one . also there was a hufe ice fishing tournnament on the lake also and we were heading home. no one ever bothered to block it off!!!!!!!! someone could of died smiley_annoyed01 bunch of bs
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

Quebecnewf

Well the weather here is not working for us at all. We have had a week of mild weather and temps above freezing. We have no snow to speak of I took this pic  yesterday coming out across one of the marshs we cross as you can see we are driving on mud.

Today it is mild and windy. The ice bridge between the village and the mainland is melting and first job this morning was to take the snowmobile across to the mainland before the ice gets any thinner. We are hoping after this mild passes and we get some snow to get back in the woods again. We will be crossing by boat I would imagine.

It sucks I have about 200 logs cut and stacked in the woods . If snow conditions improve I will haul them to the shoreline pile them there and raft them home by boat in the spring.

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!