iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board footage

Started by Pineneedle, January 14, 2010, 03:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pineneedle

Without knowing the diameter of the wood in a cord how would you figure how many board feet are in a a cord?  I calculated 48" x 48" x 4' but how much would you allow for air gaps?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD33-RA
with Accuset & 33HP Kubota diesel

Tom

You can't.

But it is generally guestimated that 300-500 board feet is in the ball park.

beenthere

Agree with Tom....and it is a huge ball park.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hi-Country Orange

the way i calculate it for a cord of wood, not figuring any air gap is 1,536,
would there really be over two thirds air gap ??

woodmills1

your math is right but think 2 things.  Yes, air gaps, but also un usable, or should I say un boardable pieces of tree.  First cut, last cut, all flitch edges...........not boards.

small logs have much more wasted non board in them

I do things like throw firewood ina my truck then stack it to see the amount it gets

or fill my red trailer with flat lumber to see what it holds, then fill it with logs, cut boards and see how much it fills the trailer

I am amazed, I can fill the red trailer with logs, then cut....get a full trailer of thrown slabs and half a trailer of lumber................conservation of volume anyone? :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

logwalker

Quote from: Pineneedle on January 14, 2010, 03:00:24 PM
Without knowing the diameter of the wood in a cord how would you figure how many board feet are in a a cord?  I calculated 48" x 48" x 4' but how much would you allow for air gaps?

I believe that measure is a half a cord.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SwampDonkey

In my area 500 bf was used as an equivalent to a cord (8 foot wood though), but also as low as 329 bf for 8' hardwood. In actual fact it can vary widely. You change the length and the estimates change again because of taper.

On road side there is often yards and yards of wood as far as can be seen. No one scales every stick in that 1/4 mile of wood. It's length is measured, an average depth is established by taking a bunch of measurements along the pile as well as the lengths of the sticks. If each is a fixed length it's easy, otherwise averaged. The wood has to be scaled at road side and the mill. Roadside is more to do with paying the contractor's men for that week. But machines now do a lot of measuring with computerized equipment. The pile may grow and grow for a few days before a stick is ever hauled. Sometimes it's scaled both roadside and at the mill as a form of checks and balances. What leaves the woods, reaches the mill.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

4genlgr

i can't do "chapter and verse" on what it says in the maine statues for a cord of wood but it goes something like ..... a pile of wood that measures 4'x4'x8' neatly stacked,(not packed) air, and bark included....
that said, a cord/BdFt comparison is just a guess. The "old settlers" said 1000BdFt of logs (not sawn timber) was equal to 2 cord.

my triaxle could carry 9.5-10 cord of 4' wood, stick scaled, and uausally between 4500 and 5000 BdFt of logs when they were of a good varity of diameters, sssoooo the math is close

ARKANSAWYER

A cord is 4' x 4'x 8' and most often is refering to pulp wood or small logs.  Often they are in the 4' length.  When sawin them into cants I often average ( these are logs 6 to 10 DIB) between 500 and 800 bdft per cord with my mean really close to 650 to 750 bdft.

If you filled the whole cord with 6 inch logs and squared up 4.25 x4.25 cants you would get 128 cants at 6 bdft each for 768 bdft total.
 I pay $2.00 per 6 inch log and get $3.36 per cant and $6.00 per bundel of slabs.  How many cants do I have to shuck per hour to starve to death.  ;D
ARKANSAWYER

SwampDonkey

Well, join the same poor farm as me. You couldn't sell anything around here unless it's wafer board, costs no more than $100 and fabricated offshore. :D But the hardware store still wants $0.70 cents for a 3" 3/8" lag carriage bolt and $0.40 cents for the lock nut, And $12 for a litre of paint. ::) :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

red oaks lumber

whats molson selling for?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

SwampDonkey

I don't buy it, so has not effect on my wallet. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

How do you put a nut on a LAG bolt, SD ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

donny hochstetler

WDH

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 14, 2010, 09:16:01 PM

How do you put a nut on a LAG bolt, SD ??? ???

With great force and old locally made tools.  The off-shore knockoffs won't do it :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

captain_crunch

Putting the nut on is hard enough but try to get it back off after you relize mistake ;D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

beenthere

Quote from: donny hochstetler on January 14, 2010, 11:59:27 PM
whats a face cord ???

Usually a stack of wood with a surface measure of 32 sq. ft, such as a pile 8' long and 4' high. It is a measurement of the face only and disregards the length of the wood in the pile. But often it is 16" length, so is roughly a third of a full cord in volume. That is a rough, quick explanation.  :)
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

All kinds of questions. :D

A lag carriage bolt is a threaded bolt all the way to the head of it, which is rounded with a square collar. That's what's on the box they come in. ::)

excuse me. Wasn't a lag screw. ;)

And face cord where I grew up does include length, 16" wood. Definitions are as varied as there are people. ;D

ARKANSAWYER

Here a face cord is a "rick" of firewood of 16 to 18 inch length. Just north of me in MO it is called a "rank" and I am not sure why Bibbyman calls it that.  But 3 rick or rank make a cord of firewood.  Split wood will have more wood then round wood.
ARKANSAWYER

Magicman

"Rank"....Maybe it's how you smell after you finish splitting a "rick".

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

The term rank is used here, but not necessarily to do with a face cord per se. It was generally a full cord of 16" wood when split and piled out in the yard. The ends of the pile were braced and piled square. Usually 4 feet high, but 24 feet long. In a woodshed, a rank was tier of wood, it wasn't necessarily a cord or face cord, could be 10 feet high even. It was whatever the length and height of the wall it was piled against. Most fellas hand splitting firewood rank their wood outside in 1 cord stacks. When they sell it, they say there is your cord in that one rank.

red oaks lumber

so how many boardfeet are in a "rank"? i must have a bigger bandmill cause i can't saw wood thats only 16" long. ok i'll keep my day job.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

SwampDonkey

Well a cunit equivalent is 100 ft3 per cord.

:D yeah, hard to saw boards from stove wood on less on a shop band saw. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!