iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Satelite vs Cellular internet

Started by brdmkr, January 14, 2010, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

Not having internet access at home is getting old.  We can not get DSL or cable internet.  I do some work over the internet, so dial-up would not really work for us either.  So, we have two choices: net through a cellular provider or satelite.  Does anyone here have any experience with these?  Is either clearly better than the other? 

Man, I'll be glad to get connected!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

John_Haylow

We just went from dial up to cell through Rogers.So far we are really happy. If you wish more information like price and speed I can get it for you,keeping in mind I am in Ontario.

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

dewwood

I have had satellite and now have Verizon wireless modem which plugs into a USB port on my computer or in my case into a router that allows for multiple users.  I like the wireless modem better than satellite because the satellite was starting to slow down with overloading of the satellites and weather causes issues at times.  The wireless is faster and usually no outages unless signal strength drops.   My signal here at home is excellent so have not had any problems also you can take the modem with you if you have a laptop and you have internet while on the go.  3GStores(www.evdoinfo.com) has a lot of information on it and links to coverage maps so you can check to see if you have coverage in your area.

Good luck with your search.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

ErikC

We looked over all these options a couple years ago, and I think if you have good service cellular is the way to go. I don't think it's much cheaper per month but the initial setup is less, and it will work wherever you have service. The satellite will be at your house only(or where the dish and reciever is installed).

(edit) BTW we ended up getting wireless, as we could see the tower and it was 1/2 the price ($30 instead of $60).
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

isawlogs

I had two choices , either I stuck with dial up or went satelite. Dial up sucked big time , been on satelite for a year now and like it , it is not the fastest connection as I cant afford it , but this suits me fine. No cell reception here , that left that option out  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I use a Verizon wireless phone tether when at the cabin now. It's certainly not as fast as cable, but even with a marginal connection up there its much faster then dialup. Its broadband if within the 3g network.  I have a smart phone with a data plan and that allows me to use the phone to get online and email, but you need a tether plan to tether and use your laptop or P.C., but that can be turned on and off monthly as you need it.  If I was in need of it eveyday I would go with their aircard.

The big advantage of the wireless versus the satellite it portability. Anywhere you get a signal you can use it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

IMERC

Quote from: brdmkr on January 14, 2010, 09:27:16 AM

Man, I'll be glad to get connected!

I have satillite.. the ride is like a roller coaster... at times it can be a real barn burner.. at others it's worse than carrier pigeon... less than 1KB transfer rate... Weather heavily dictates yur service... clouds, rain, snow or yur not holding yur mouth just right while standing on one foot...

when I'm mobile I have an air card... (cell) T mobile is the best in cities it seems, verizon has the widest coverage and bell is bell...

the providers will let you sample their wares for a few days.. suggest you do this... an aircard may not work in yur house but across the street it can be all ya ask for...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

brdmkr

OK, now I need educating...  What is an 'air card'?  Also, I thought that cell was cell.  How do I find out if I can get 3G? 

You know it seems to me that the cellular industry is more complicated than it need be.  Is that just me?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Larry

What IMERC said about satellite...we had it at our previous location and couldn't stand the outages.

At our present location the satellite guy took a look...said we would need to cut some trees to get a sky view or they could mount the antenna on a post and bury a line to the house.  We didn't like either option.

To get an aircard go to your friendly cell phone place.  They may want you to sign a contract, and maybe want some green stuff for the air card.  The air card comes with its own phone number...for what reason I know not.  It just plugs into the USB hole.  They will surly tell you that 3g is available most any old place...don't believe em.  I think most give you a trial period...if it don't work take it back.

We have an AT&T air card for the business PC.  It is supposed to get the 3g network but the signal is so weak it's useless.  It runs on the 2g or gsl network which is still way faster than dialup.  Never a problem or any outage...cost is around $60 a month.  For really big downloads we still go to the library and copy to a zip drive.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

IMERC

Quote from: brdmkr on January 14, 2010, 01:13:04 PM
OK, now I need educating...  What is an 'air card'?  Also, I thought that cell was cell.  How do I find out if I can get 3G? 

You know it seems to me that the cellular industry is more complicated than it need be.  Is that just me?

air card is kinda sorta a cell phone that plugs into a USB port or slot made for it in the side of computer...
a lot of the newer 'puters have aircards built into them...

testing is the only way you can find out if you can recieve 3G...
get a trial card from the cell outfits to test drive...

complicated.... yup.. but a lot it seems to to baffle the customer...

Jeff

Its really not complicated. Aircards that is.  It will come with software to install it, then you plug it into a usb port, the machine finds it, then you connect like you would with a dial up connection.  I think Verizon's got a bandwidth limit of 5 gigs a month. Unless you are a youtube addict, you won't ever come close to that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Quote from: Jeff on January 14, 2010, 11:59:00 AM
I use a Verizon wireless phone tether when at the cabin now. It's certainly not as fast as cable, but even with a marginal connection up there its much faster then dialup. Its broadband if within the 3g network.  I have a smart phone with a data plan and that allows me to use the phone to get online and email, but you need a tether plan to tether and use your laptop or P.C., but that can be turned on and off monthly as you need it.  If I was in need of it eveyday I would go with their aircard.

The big advantage of the wireless versus the satellite it portability. Anywhere you get a signal you can use it.

X2
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Warbird

Quote from: brdmkr on January 14, 2010, 09:27:16 AMDoes anyone here have any experience with these?  Is either clearly better than the other? 

Yes.  Generally, cellular will be better but it depends on a few factors. 

• How far away from the closest cell tower are you?
  • Do you have line of site to the cell tower?
  • What kind of cell phone reception do you get at your house, where the computer will sit?
  • Does the cell company offer at least 3g?

With either solution, you are going to see high latencies.  In general, the satellite latencies will be worse, as long as the cell company doesn't have a sat uplink in your path (they shouldn't but it happens).  A lot of companies will let you try the cell service for a week or so, just to test it out.

Finally, you will need to do some price comparisons.  In my experience, satellite is usually more expensive for worse performance.  But if satellite is all you can get a reliable signal from, it is still way better than dialup!  You will likely not want to try playing online real time video games over either.  The latencies make it very difficult.

Good luck!

Ianab

Friend has Sattelite internet as it was about the only reliable option. Dialup was dodgy, and cellphone coverage was patchy. So 2 way dish on the roof was the best option.  One thing she has found, the dish doesn't like ice, a heavy frost would put it out untill the sun came up and melted the ice. Could be an issue for people in really cold climates where the ice doesn't melt for days?

If you have good cellphone coverage around your house then that should be cheaper and more reliable, plus it works from any place you can get covereage if you have a laptop.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Larry

Quote from: Warbird on January 14, 2010, 02:21:59 PM

• How far away from the closest cell tower are you?
1/2 mile

• Do you have line of site to the cell tower?
Yes

• What kind of cell phone reception do you get at your house, where the computer will sit?
Great...maxed out signal

• Does the cell company offer at least 3g?
Yes

So...I figured I would get on the 3g network easy.  Wrong...our tower is in a rural area and never equipped with the right stuff for 3g.  We do get 3g but off another tower and the signal is poor at best.

The 3g signal is in a different band than the voice stuff and poorer reception is expected...especially in buildings.  That's why they give ya the free test period, so you can make sure it will work for you.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

John_Haylow

Quote from: Ianab on January 14, 2010, 02:54:11 PM
Friend has Sattelite internet as it was about the only reliable option. Dialup was dodgy, and cellphone coverage was patchy. So 2 way dish on the roof was the best option.  One thing she has found, the dish doesn't like ice, a heavy frost would put it out untill the sun came up and melted the ice. Could be an issue for people in really cold climates where the ice doesn't melt for days?

If you have good cellphone coverage around your house then that should be cheaper and more reliable, plus it works from any place you can get covereage if you have a laptop.

Ian

Ian,
Tell your friend to put a plastic garbage bag over her dish, that's what we do here to keep the snow and ice off our TV satellite dish. Take it off in the spring as the bees like to build nests in there.

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

stonebroke

I had a neighbor that had satellite, I asked him how it worked .He said it works great, when it works.

Stonebroke

isawlogs

Maybe technologie has changed some , but I dont seam to have the issues to the extent that some of you are telling about the satelight connections .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

wi woodcutter

I have an Aircard and it works great. I travel all over the state (sometimes the hole midwest) for work and it always works good. I would not have it any other way.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

SwampDonkey

Recently, there was a telemarketing business that had to move for renovations. Some workers had to work from home. But, those that lived in rural areas only have dialup and satellite. The company laid those folks off because they needed cable internet. So, that's enough for me. I have heard many complaints on the radio about satellite. They even block some access to Canadian sites, not the ISP, but the websites block US access. That's right, the provider for Xplorenet is actually in DC. CBC blocks access to our local CBC news from being accessed from the US.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

IMERC

One thing she has found, the dish doesn't like ice, a heavy frost would put it out untill the sun came up and melted the ice. Could be an issue for people in really cold climates where the ice doesn't melt for days?

ditto the frost....

install a liberal coating of Pam on the dish.. it helps...

IMERC

Quote from: isawlogs on January 14, 2010, 07:45:59 PM

Maybe technologie has changed some , but I dont seam to have the issues to the extent that some of you are telling about the satelight connections .

location.... location.... location...

IMERC

Quote from: wi woodcutter on January 14, 2010, 08:03:35 PM
I have an Aircard and it works great. I travel all over the state (sometimes the hole midwest) for work and it always works good. I would not have it any other way.

except Western CO, MT, WY, eastern UT, northern ID, most of the Bitterroot and south central AR...

IMERC

Quote from: IMERC on January 14, 2010, 09:18:01 PM

One thing she has found, the dish doesn't like ice, a heavy frost would put it out untill the sun came up and melted the ice. Could be an issue for people in really cold climates where the ice doesn't melt for days?

ditto the frost....

install a liberal coating of Pam on the dish.. it helps...

even better is the dry lube used on cutting tools...

clearcut

Having had satellite for 6 years I would consider it again only as a last resort.

This is what I wrote before:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,40820.msg588627.html#msg588627

Test the cellular, they usually have a 30 trial. Verizon has MiFi - a mobile wireless hotspot, that looks reasonably priced.

Look for a Wireless Internet Service Provider (WISP) in you area. They use a directional WiFi connection that is typically faster, cheaper, and more stable than cellular or satellite.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Thank You Sponsors!