iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber kiln to dry firewood?

Started by tree98, January 13, 2010, 11:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree98

Can a lumber drying kiln be used to dry firewood?There is a fairly large kiln at a sawmill very close to where i live,and i'm curious if i could get some firewood dried there.I cant see why it wouldnt work,but maybe i'm missing something.

Tom

Sure it'll work.

You can also build yourself a little solar kiln there at the house and do it yourself.  :)

tree98

Thanks Tom,is there any info here about building kilns?

Den Socling

As Tom says, the conventional kiln would dry firewood but the operators probably would refuse the job because of handling. They are accustomed to flat lumber separated with flat sticks that make rectangular packs. I suppose that it might be done if the firewood was first put into large boxes with wire or slats on the sides.

woodmills1

Like the above post, if you had baskets for the firewood I think it would be ok.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

red oaks lumber

last month dried a few cords for a guy, made him stack on a pallet for us
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

John Mc

One of the commercial sawmills in our area started kiln drying firewood when their sawmill business slowed way down a couple of years ago. They figured they might as well make use of some of their equipment. The fact that they got into this shortly before heating oil prices went through the roof helped their firewood business a lot -- everyone who could was switching to burning wood, and the regular firewood guys ran out of the seasoned stuff pretty quickly.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!