iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

comparison

Started by David_c, October 02, 2003, 07:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SasquatchMan

Gus I think you've hit on something really important... if a tool feels good to you, if you can hold it and think "Yeah, that's good." you'll have a much better time in the field, and I think be less accident prone - if a tool works the way you think it should, you won't be trying to cook up a funny way to hold it, or have pieces of duct tape holding things out of the way (like some guys do on circular saw guards that don't work well).

Senior Member?  That's funny.

Reptile

Hey David have you checked out the echo chain saws. I just got one yesterday  , its the little 300 but man does it eat through some wood plus it has a 2 year commercial warrenty whitch is twice as long as the husky and stihls. Since your experimenting i though i would add another piece to the puzzle lol. Thanks Paul

qatanlison

I just got a 385XPG and it's VERY smooth. You don't feel like you're using a quite hefty saw. Air injection works exellent, much better on the new saws than those from the mid 1990.
Another aspect I see no one has brought up is the difference in balance; I feel the Husky being more well balanced and therefore gives the impression of not beeing so big. No one doubts the fact that both Stihl and Husky are top quality saws so I advice you to go by feeling; If you don't like the look and feel of your new saw - you'll regret it...

/Ola

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

One more way of looking at "it".  

For a buyer in the US,  the Canadian dealers are the bargain providers for us  for both Husky and Stihl.  Before I bought my Stihl 090,   the warranty for a Canadian purchase was the same as a local dealer purchase.   However,   Stihl decided to not honor warranties when we buy Canadian. (Hope it changes back.)   >:(

If I bought another big saw, then, the issue isn't the saw.
          Buy a Husky 3120 from Canada.
           Full warranty, instead of no warranty.
            Longer warranty than Stihl.
             Equivalent price.

(Or I might just buy another 090 on Ebay like the last time.)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

slowzuki

After trying 3 or 4 dealers here, I found a decent one an hours drive away.  He happened to carry Husky and Stihl and sat me down with competing models of each size/class of saw.  Tore them down a bit for me to compare construction and features.

I bought the Stihl MS260 because his price on a pro Husky was about 150$ more than the Stihl.

The prices on the semi-pro and homeowner saws were competitive between the two.  I was very close to walking out with a Husqvarna 350.  Again it was the choke lever operation with gloves on and the stihl "seemed" to be better balanced.

I think I'll be happy either way, as the dealer is excellent.  I'm glad I didn't get suckered into a cheap saw with no local repair shop (ie Poulan and friends)
Ken

SasquatchMan

You should be more than pleased with that saw for a long time, Ken.  I did the same sort of thing - started out looking at Poulans and wound up with a midrange Stihl, which I'm very happy with.

David_c

hey guys i just thought it was time to let you know which one i like better. here goes, my husky372 i opened up the muffler and flat out sreams 8) 8). before i did this i was leaning towards it but now i will just say AWSOME  ;D now if i could do the same with 460.

SasquatchMan

David, why can't you do that to the 460?

David_c

sas i probably can open up the 460 i just dont know how . whereas the 372 was easy.

SasquatchMan

Well, until you find a way to modify that Stihl saw, I won't hold you to your prejudice! :D  

Maybe you need some jackass carpenter with a MS290 to show ya how she's dun!

David_c

sas i think there is a dual port muffler for the 460 i just have'nt checked yet. if there is that will be alot esier. well see.

SasquatchMan

I wonder how different the mufflers are on the 440 460 660 saws - you'd have to think there'd be a mod somewhere, but you certainly hear more about 372s coming out of customizing shops than any other, don't you?

David_c

definatly more huskys i did mine myself with my dremmel and the improvement is amazing. and it was easy to do.

IndyIan

David_p
Any chance you could post a picture of how you modded your muffler?  I'm interested in doing this myself sometime soon.

Thanks,
Ian

David_c

indy i hope this helps. if you do this you will definatly be glad you did ;D almost forgot the post
http://www.arboristsite.com/attach/1343.jpg

Minnesota_boy

I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

David_c

hey minisota boy same one i did :D but i was quicker ;D

Thank You Sponsors!