iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

comparison

Started by David_c, October 02, 2003, 07:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_c

i was looking for a comparison between the stihl 460 and husky 385 any thoughts.

Gus

David,
I don't know enough about these newer saws to help you much. Be interesting to see what someone comes up with.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

SawInIt CA

I have used both and bought a 460. With that said it had more to do with the dealer. I also like the "feel" of the 460. You can go the thier websites and get the stats on both.

Adamj

I don't have much experience with Husky. But, I believe the main difference is that the Husky is orange while the Stihl is orange and white.  I hope this helps.   ;D

David_c

i am new to stihl & huskys allways used junk. bought a 372 great saw but i wanted to try a stihl. was going to buy a used 066 for $400 but when i was at the dealers today i was checking out the 460 felt great in my hand and for a few hundred more and new what the hey. well i just wanted to see what you guys like better the 460 or 385. when i get the saw i'll let you know what i think of it.

Rob

Hey David,

Personally I like my 385XP better compared to the MS 460,one of the main reasons is because I think Husky has a much better anti vibe setup they just seem smoother than the Stihls..The air injection is a nice thing also.Dont get me wrong both are good saws I just think the 385 is a better one thats all..I'm sure Russ will contribute to this thread cause I know he owns both of these saws..I hope this helps a little bit

Rob.

SasquatchMan

Having just purchased a new Stihl (though not a huge one), I've just held a bunch of Stihls and Huskies, and read an awful lot about both, here and at other forums, and their sites.  

Once you get past the guys who think that Huskies will "burn out" (because their dummy friend ran it lean or something) or the guys who think Stihls won't work in the rain (because their dummy friend's didn't), it seems to break down like this - Stihls idle terribly but work beautifully revved up, where huskies have a much smoother power band.  The huskies I've picked up felt "cheap" and the Stihls didn't, and I suspect this is due to the Husky using a spring-based Anti-vibe system and Stihl using rubber mounts.  I've been told that the Husky system is actually better in terms of anti-vibe, but I don't know myself.  Both now offer compensating carbs, winter setups, hi-tech filtration...  
The only thing that seems to be "funny" on the new Stihls is that the oilers don't seem to crank a hell of a lot of oil out - I've been in touch with Stihl about this and haven't heard back yet.  Maybe the big Stihls are better for this, but some of the recent posts here indicate that a few people think the Stihls are putting out just barely enough...
Senior Member?  That's funny.

David_c

sasquatchman from what i gather is stihl oilmatic chain lubrication system doesnt need as much oil becuase it is going were needed not every where else. i have also done alot of research on both models and it seems you ask a hundred guys you get about as many differnt answers. but i do like to hear others opinions. i have the husky i do like it but i need to try a stihl just so i know for myself but i still want to hear what you guys think. Thanks keep the responses coming.

Mark M

I have a MS460 and it's a cuttin SOB. Throws so much sawdust I have to use my face shield. I have a little 345 Husky and a MS260Pro. The 260 is a little bigger but for some reason I usually use the Husky. I think it runs smoother but this is just my opinion.

Mark

David_c

jokers

Hi David
As Rob noted, I have both an ms460 and 385. You are correct that asking 100 different people will yield 100 different opinions. In that vein, here`s mine.

Both saws are powerful and cut fast. The 385 is slightly faster, especially with a longer bar. The 385 is also slightly smoother running due to the springs and there is no comparison between the Husky`s Air Injection and Stihl`s filtration, the 385 wins hands down.

The 460 feels more like a quality product when you are just handling it, but it is only a matter of perception which disappears when you run the saws. The 460 also weighs about a pound less than the 385, which is noticeable and I like the Elasto Start better than simply having decompression on the 385.

The Huskies still have a lifetime warranty on the ignition and Stihl no longer does.

Oilomatic is another pipedream, new Stihl oilers are anemic.

One advantage the Stihl has however is that you can order a dual port muffler cover for an 044 that will give you about an extra 1/2 hp, you would have to modify the stock Husky muffler.

Ultimately the choice is your`s David and it looks like you already picked the Stihl, why ask now?

Russ

David_c

well russ thanks for your imput and why ask now good question just thought i would no one ever accussed me of be smart. ;D

jokers

Hi David
I guess after rereading my reply, my question of "why ask now?" could be taken as deragatory. It wasn`t meant that way and I`m glad that you didn`t take it that way.

Since you are buying an ms460, I think you will be happy with it compared to the 385. Both are good saws with specific small strengths and weaknesses.

I would not however recommend that anyone buy an early 046 with the metallic flywheel. I know first hand that they were slow revving and had a propensity for snapping cranks when the chain brake was applied at high rpm, as in a kickback situation. Stihl seems to have solved that problem by intalling a composite flywheel and somewhere along the way they also boosted hp from 5.7 to 6, maybe also related to the flywheel.

Russ

Typhoon

I have ran both stihls and huskies. Both are obviously top quality and high performance saws. So in my opinion you cannot go wrong with either. But in my personal experience, the only differences I find is that the huskies have a smoother feel, rev just a little faster, and idle better. The difference is not vast, but there is a difference. And im a big fan of the air injection. I think its an engineering marvel.
Hope this helps. Just an opinion.
-Brad
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

David_c

thanks guys: Russ dont worry i say things all the time people misinterpet. this is more of an experiment i have never had either till i decided on husky when i was buying new saws but i have to try a stihl just to satisfy my own curiousity although an expensive one. i also like to hear what others have to say not that i allways listen ;D anyway thanks for your thoughts and keep them coming.

Gus

David,
 I'm a Stihl guy. Never owned anything else with the exception of a spare saw I had for a long time. It was a jonsered 630. I have run husky's though; grabbing one from time to time on the landing to make a quick cut when my stihl was on the skidder. What these guys say about the husky being a smooth running saw is no joke. Every time I pick one up that is the formost thing I notice; smooth acceleration.
Gus

David_c

thanks Gus i really like my husky 372 great saw but like i have said i have never had a stihl and i wanted to try one before i decide i only want huskys. Gus why do you like the stihl saws?

SasquatchMan

The Husky/Stihl debate reminds me of the Chevy/Ford debate amongst farmers around here.  Difference being that Toyota has always made better trucks than either Chev or Ford!

I'm new to the debate, and bought a Stihl partly because I was told that the particular dealer I bought from was reliable, and the things were on sale to boot, and partly because the choke control on the Husky/Jred saws looked to be a bit small for using at -20.  I might well have bought something else if there was a different dealer near me.

As a carpenter, I've noticed that guys who use the red brand do so because they just always have, and are used to the red brand, and guys who use the blue brand are the same.  And a few guys will have all sorts of different brands of tools, having bought the "best" (for whatever reason) of any particular brand, knowing that they're all pretty good.  

That said, my truck is a Chevy, cause Fords suck.   :D

David_c

hey sas about the ford chey thing my dad allways loved ford me chevys but i had an 99 ford ranger awsom truck just got to small for the family now i have 01 F150 not happy but better than chevy but if i get a small truck again it will probably be a yota they do last.when it come to tools i do like to own the best in my mind anyway ;D thats why i try differant brands.

SasquatchMan

Well, hey, a chainsaw is more important than a truck anyway, right?  :D

I've got a chev with 240000km on it, and it's still a strong truck, but I never woulda bought it if Honda or Toyota or Nissan made a big truck.  As for Stihl, well, I've got one and I like it, but it won't take much of a conundrum to give me reason to buy a 272xp as well!  Hope my wife doesn't see this.   :-X

David_c

yeh i hear you there mine dont know about the 460 wont till its to late :D. i have 60000 miles on my F150 since first week have had vibration that wont go away cant seem to fix other than that its been ok just drives me nuts ::). its a lease and i have put so many miles on it cost to much to return so i'll have to keep :( but what can i do grin and bear it. oh yea one other thing that just came about the hood wont open. that was fun when i went to have oil changed the other day :D

AndyB

The solution, whether it's a chainsaw or a truck regardless of manufacturer, is to not buy one that was manufactured on Friday or Monday. Thinking about what you are going to do on the weekend and recovering from the weekend is detrimental to quality control in manufacturing.  :D :D :D  I love my husky. ;D

SasquatchMan

They must not have weekends in Sweden, cause you never hear about a "lemon" Husqvarna, do you? ;)

Gus

David,
 There are 3 main reasons I continue to buy stihl saws.
1: Reliability, I've never had a stihl that needed work other than adjusting the carb. Unless ofcourse I dropped a tree on it ::)
2: Dependable service from stihl. Where I get my chains, bars and saws; all they do is work on stihls, nothing else. They know their equipment.
3; I like the way they feel. Probably just a habit. But with something as dangerous as a saw can be, I believe this to be important.

If I was to get a rabbi good deal I couldn't refuse, I'd probably buy a Husky. Got nothing against them.

Guess buying a stihl has become a habit with me ;D
Gus

David_c

Thanks Gus good as reason as any. i figured i need to try out both just to see which i like better.

SasquatchMan

Gus I think you've hit on something really important... if a tool feels good to you, if you can hold it and think "Yeah, that's good." you'll have a much better time in the field, and I think be less accident prone - if a tool works the way you think it should, you won't be trying to cook up a funny way to hold it, or have pieces of duct tape holding things out of the way (like some guys do on circular saw guards that don't work well).

Reptile

Hey David have you checked out the echo chain saws. I just got one yesterday  , its the little 300 but man does it eat through some wood plus it has a 2 year commercial warrenty whitch is twice as long as the husky and stihls. Since your experimenting i though i would add another piece to the puzzle lol. Thanks Paul

qatanlison

I just got a 385XPG and it's VERY smooth. You don't feel like you're using a quite hefty saw. Air injection works exellent, much better on the new saws than those from the mid 1990.
Another aspect I see no one has brought up is the difference in balance; I feel the Husky being more well balanced and therefore gives the impression of not beeing so big. No one doubts the fact that both Stihl and Husky are top quality saws so I advice you to go by feeling; If you don't like the look and feel of your new saw - you'll regret it...

/Ola

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

One more way of looking at "it".  

For a buyer in the US,  the Canadian dealers are the bargain providers for us  for both Husky and Stihl.  Before I bought my Stihl 090,   the warranty for a Canadian purchase was the same as a local dealer purchase.   However,   Stihl decided to not honor warranties when we buy Canadian. (Hope it changes back.)   >:(

If I bought another big saw, then, the issue isn't the saw.
          Buy a Husky 3120 from Canada.
           Full warranty, instead of no warranty.
            Longer warranty than Stihl.
             Equivalent price.

(Or I might just buy another 090 on Ebay like the last time.)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

slowzuki

After trying 3 or 4 dealers here, I found a decent one an hours drive away.  He happened to carry Husky and Stihl and sat me down with competing models of each size/class of saw.  Tore them down a bit for me to compare construction and features.

I bought the Stihl MS260 because his price on a pro Husky was about 150$ more than the Stihl.

The prices on the semi-pro and homeowner saws were competitive between the two.  I was very close to walking out with a Husqvarna 350.  Again it was the choke lever operation with gloves on and the stihl "seemed" to be better balanced.

I think I'll be happy either way, as the dealer is excellent.  I'm glad I didn't get suckered into a cheap saw with no local repair shop (ie Poulan and friends)
Ken

SasquatchMan

You should be more than pleased with that saw for a long time, Ken.  I did the same sort of thing - started out looking at Poulans and wound up with a midrange Stihl, which I'm very happy with.

David_c

hey guys i just thought it was time to let you know which one i like better. here goes, my husky372 i opened up the muffler and flat out sreams 8) 8). before i did this i was leaning towards it but now i will just say AWSOME  ;D now if i could do the same with 460.

SasquatchMan

David, why can't you do that to the 460?

David_c

sas i probably can open up the 460 i just dont know how . whereas the 372 was easy.

SasquatchMan

Well, until you find a way to modify that Stihl saw, I won't hold you to your prejudice! :D  

Maybe you need some jackass carpenter with a MS290 to show ya how she's dun!

David_c

sas i think there is a dual port muffler for the 460 i just have'nt checked yet. if there is that will be alot esier. well see.

SasquatchMan

I wonder how different the mufflers are on the 440 460 660 saws - you'd have to think there'd be a mod somewhere, but you certainly hear more about 372s coming out of customizing shops than any other, don't you?

David_c

definatly more huskys i did mine myself with my dremmel and the improvement is amazing. and it was easy to do.

IndyIan

David_p
Any chance you could post a picture of how you modded your muffler?  I'm interested in doing this myself sometime soon.

Thanks,
Ian

David_c

indy i hope this helps. if you do this you will definatly be glad you did ;D almost forgot the post
http://www.arboristsite.com/attach/1343.jpg

Minnesota_boy

I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

David_c

hey minisota boy same one i did :D but i was quicker ;D

Thank You Sponsors!