iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SAW MILL

Started by countryjonez, January 13, 2010, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryjonez

im iteresting in buying my first saw mill. i have an 90 acre farm with mixed wood.wanting to use for personal use only,barns,house,buildings and things of that nature.i dont need anything fancy,but would like to get something that will cut 30'' logs and make beams up to16' long. any advice would be helpfull thanks.
If God be for us who can be against us ?

golden foot

I have been using a Lucas 830 for 3 years. I just bought a slightly used WMLT40 manual and am working on getting it figured out. I can say that the circle mill is much more user friendly as far as the technology. The Lucas has more waste in sawdust by quite a bit. For what you are doing if you could find a used Lucas, I don't think you would be dissapointed.
SOLO 103CC SAW PRENTICE 410 LOADER CHRISTY YARDER,EAGLET Motorized CARRIAGE TIMBERJACK AND NEW HOLLAND SKIDDERS JOHN DEERE 550 DOZER LUCAS 830 MILL BIGGEST TREE FELL: 80,000 BOARD FEET WM LT40 Manual

Bro. Noble

I'd reccomend that you visit members in your area and see different types of mills in action,  then look for a good buy in a lightly used mill.  All of the mills made by our sponsers are good quality and are backed by good service.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

countryjonez

thanks for the info.new to the site. how do i find members in my area? thanks
If God be for us who can be against us ?

Magicman

Click on "forum extras" above and then click "Members Map".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

golden foot

One important thing that I forgot to mention about the Lucas is that it works best with bigger logs, say 12" and up. A bandmill may be better for the small stuff. It only takes a minute to sharpen the Lucas and be back to work, which is nice.
SOLO 103CC SAW PRENTICE 410 LOADER CHRISTY YARDER,EAGLET Motorized CARRIAGE TIMBERJACK AND NEW HOLLAND SKIDDERS JOHN DEERE 550 DOZER LUCAS 830 MILL BIGGEST TREE FELL: 80,000 BOARD FEET WM LT40 Manual

woodmills1

don't be afraid of looking at a used mill, which ever type you choose.  If you are not real familiar with machines take a friend or hire someone to look at the used machine.

I am on my second used sawmill and have saved thousands by going that route.

My preference.......get a woodmizer....get hydraulics.... I work by my self and was going non log loader....I would not be where I am ifin I did

side note: the swingers look like a good option for working by yourself.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Handy Andy

Now that Cooks are a sponser here, I can brag up my MP 32 cook mill.  It is 32" dia. max x 16' plus a few inches long cut.  Very sturdy.  And a simple design. I bought mine used.  Would like to add  Piney woods hydraulic turner to it.  Have a neighbor with a Timberking 1600, about the same size except it cuts 36" max, and has hydraulic feed. They are actually pretty comparable mills. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

golden foot

something that might be of interest. I have been running the Lucas for 3 years. I found the need to make wider boards for customers. The Lucas will only go to 8.5" unless you turn the carriage around, which is a pain. OK if you are doing large beams and making $. Anyway I recently picked up a used WMLT40 manual, late model. I am amazed at how much more complicated it is than the swingmill. I am sure that over time I will adapt, but for now I keep going back to the swinger, especially for milling big fir. The difference in sawdust is amazing with the bandmill though. It Makes me wonder if I should have spent more in the beginning and bought a Peterson. Anyone else out there running both types of mills?

Captain

I've run an 8" Peterson for the last 10 years.  I do however secretly long for a smaller manual bandmill for the small stuff and resawing.  I'm going to find a cheap and reasonable LT15 one day soon.

Captain

golden foot

That is good to hear Captain. I was hoping that I was on to something. Be prepared for a whole new learning experience. Heck, that is a big part of the reason we do this.

Thank You Sponsors!