iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sorting teeth

Started by cleargrain, January 12, 2010, 09:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleargrain

Howdy,

Bought a used MD 127 a couple years ago.  Last year I realized that I would be needing new teeth on the main blade at some point and decided to suck it up and buy 60 for the main blade and 40 for the edgers for what will probably be a lifetime supply for me as a weekend sawmill warrior.  I finally had to get out the new teeth last weekend and quickly realized that the teeth were different lengths.  If I measured from the flat part at the back (where it backs up to the shank when you install it on the blade) to the cutting edge - there's a 3/32 inch difference between the longest and shortest bit in the bunch.  Most were within 1/32 of each other.  Is this normal?  Ron at MD told me I needed to sharpen them before using them, but this tooth length difference seems a little excessive.

I started sorting them by size into sets which took alot of squinting at the micrometer and elbow grease for the beer.  Should I sort them into sets of 6 which is what the blade takes, or sets of 7 so I have an extra if I only nick one tooth on something in the log?

-Scott
AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

bandmiller2

Scott,all the bits should be the same legnth or very close to it.You only have a few and your just starting out replace them all but save the ones you take out to use in the future if you have to replace one.Standard proceedure it to file /grind the long replacement back to match the outhers.I could be worse you could have 50 to replace.If the shanks that hold the bits in have the top of the gullet rounded and worn a little thin they should also be replaced or if their not tight in the socket.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cleargrain

Frank,  Thanks for the info. I'll start grinding.  Shanks are in good shape.
-Scott

AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!