iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

headsaw questions

Started by b dukes, January 12, 2010, 07:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b dukes

After reading what all of you have written about the different RPM's that headsaws run, and the blade is hammered for that RPM. I guess my question is what does that exactly mean( hammered). If I was to find a sawmill I wanted how would I know what RPM I have to turn the blade.  Whatever mill I find I will run it off the pto of the tractor. I am really new to all of this and want to be as informed as possible before I purchase something. I have helped run some mills before but never learned the true mechanics of them. I cant offer any  input on sawing yet, but if anyone needs information on air compressors of any kind I can help with that.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! I don't know much about the circular mills, but someone will be along that will I'm sure. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jimparamedic

There are alot of things to keep in mind like rpm and horsepower go hand in hand. More horsepower more rpm more teeth in the blade faster the cut. Lower horsepower less rpm fewer teeth in blade slower cut. That is why blades are hammered for different rpm. There is more to it but thats it in a nut shell. Many books can be wrote and have been on the subjects at hand.

beenthere

b dukes
Welcome to the forum

Here is a link to a sawmill handbook on line with some good and basic info about circular saws.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

Take a look and see if some of your interests are covered. I think you will find it a good read.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

uncle kenn

my tractor runs a max of 540 which is what my blade is hammered to.  most of the older tractors have a max of 540 on the pto. some new models run at higher rpms and some of them can be run at more than one speed. check with the mfg. of your tractor and they can probably tell you what the pto rpm is

bandmiller2

Duke,a saw blade is hammered/tensioned so it will run true at a specific RPM.A disc of steel spun at saw speed would tend to wobble or whats called snakey.Easiest way for me to understand is the saw is tensioned to give it a slight cup shape when still ,at hammered speed it just straightens up with a preload and runs true.If your running the mill with a tractor PTO you'll want the saw hammered for 540 RPM give or take a little.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!