iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belts

Started by garyfg, January 12, 2010, 10:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyfg

My Oliver mill has the urethane belts . I was thinking of changing them to regular V belts. The wheels are 19 in and look like the ones Linn's sell. What belt would I use? I can get gates B56 or B57 belts at O'Rileys. Don't know witch I need.

Magicman

I can't speak for your mill, but WM doesn't recommend "automotive" B57's for it's mills.  Their B57's are specially made and have no irregularities on the tops.  Makes for smoother and vibration free running.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hi-Country Orange

I think the belts from WM also have some kevlar in them to
get them to hold up to the extreme pressure ? :P

rs1626

any body know the part# and price at woodmizer?

Papa1stuff

About 13.00 plus shipping B57
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

woodmills1

good quality B belts are flat, find out if your local jobber has belts supplied by gates or others reputable, they work.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bandmiller2

As Mills1 says regular belts work fine I prefer the ones with a slight crown profile don't recall the brand.Have any of you tried the belts with the slight notches on the back[not in the vee]??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

robnrob2

NAPA B-56 blet has the crown ya want, that is the belt I use in my 19" wheels,, it is 59" long, and you have to work it and screw driver it on, but its a tight fitting belt and will seal to your wheels, no saw dust etc, no slap,

sdunston

Quote from: garyfg on January 12, 2010, 10:53:16 AM
My Oliver mill has the urethane belts . I was thinking of changing them to regular V belts. The wheels are 19 in and look like the ones Linn's sell. What belt would I use? I can get gates B56 or B57 belts at O'Rileys. Don't know witch I need.

Is it true that urethane belts stay cleaner?
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Magicman

I had a vibration problem and took them off.  Don't know why I tried them anyway.  WM B57's for me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

We tried the urethane belts it is extremly important to use alot of lube when stretching them over the "V" pulley,if not one side will stretch thinner and cause vibration.we found no advantage over regular belts.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

york

there is only one advantage of using urethane belt over,belt from say napa -would be your love to spend money..
Albert

garyfg

Quote from: sdunston on January 13, 2010, 09:00:11 PM
Quote from: garyfg on January 12, 2010, 10:53:16 AM

Is it true that urethane belts stay cleaner?
Sam
I don,t know.Have never used the B belts . May try and pick some up at town today.

Magicman

My suggestion would be; If it ain't broke....don't fix it.

If you are using "B" belts and are OK.....use um.
If you are using urethane belts and they are OK....use um.

Spending $$$ just to try something new is not a reason to change.  I'm speaking from experience.  I did it....>:( ;D
(I've included a link to an older thread)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,38782.0.html

mburrow

sdunston

Quote from: Magicman on January 14, 2010, 09:35:36 AM
My suggestion would be; If it ain't broke....don't fix it.

Think I will stick with the belts from WM
sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

ladylake

I run B56 Goodyear, a lot of other brands don't stand as high and let the band hit the wheel sooner.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

robnrob2

Hey Ladylake ?? Is that goodyear B-56 a belt you gotta work at,, to fit the band wheel, like the NAPA B-56

garyfg

Put some gates 56 belts on today. Look good for now but I thoughy that before. Blade seems to stay centered better

Thank You Sponsors!