iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kw needed to run 25 HP electric timberharvester?

Started by cubdriver55, January 12, 2010, 10:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubdriver55

I am looking at a 35 KW generator. Do you think that would run the 25 HP electric motor on my timberharvester? The manufactureres say it would take 50 KW to start it, but it should run on 35KW. The blade is not engaged when it starts but the hydrolics are and I know they are a big draw. What are your thoughts and is anyone running a 25 HP mill on a generator this size?  Thanks  Steve

red oaks lumber

the biggest draw for power is on startup, 35kw will be more than enough once it's running you might want to have a soft start put on the motor virsus direct start. i once used a 60kw genset  running total of 75 hp
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Dave Shepard

I'm running a 15 on a 25kw genset. I'm surprised they want a 50kw to start it. The 15HP on the Wood-Mizer does have a soft start, and the engine on the generator doesn't change pitch at all on startup.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Meadows Miller

Gday

Steve I have the generator sizes reqired to start and run the motor in KVA in 3ph 415 volt if this helps mate  ;)

Direct load start                               Running load

25HP-  90KVA                                 25.2  KVA

Soft start

25HP-  61.4 KVA                             "         "

Star/Delta

25hp-  47.25 KVA                           "         "

It all depends on how much you want to spend on a starter systyem it would pay to ring your loacal sparky to find out the cost  ;)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Steve, what do you have for an engine on that genset.?? most are designed for momentary overloads such as motor start.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cubdriver55

This was a pto driven generator but it turned out to be 35 kw momentary but only 20 kw continuous, so it did not work out. Thanks for the help

Thank You Sponsors!