iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of blade lube for cedar

Started by Dirtdobber, January 11, 2010, 09:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtdobber

What kind of lube is best for sawing cedar. I recently aquired a Timberking 1220 mill. The guy I got it from really didn't know what to tell me as he didn't saw very much cedar. Do I need to run the lube all the time or just to clean the blade. Most sawyers that I have been around saw dry. Just want to do the best for the duration of the mill.

Dan_Shade

i run water and a bit of pinesol (1 cup/5 gallons or so), sometimes, I dump in vegitable oil too, but that does tend to gunk up everything.

Some folks run kerosene or deisel, but I've never tried that.  I get good results with the water.  (just don't let it freeze!)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Coalsmoke

I run plain water in the summer, and windshield washer fluid in the winter.
Visit Coalsmoke's website at www.coalsmoke.com

2008 Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 with Honda 20HP engine.
White 2-60 Field Boss > 65HP Tractor with loader.
Husky Chainsaws 353 and 395XPG heavily modified.
Loving wife who endorses all of the above :)

Cedarman

We get so little build up that we never run any lube.  If we saw pine or ash, we run water.  But we never saw that stuff below 32 degrees.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

taw6243

windshield washer fluid was $1.54 /Gallon at sam's club yesterday in 6 gallon cases. Bought 2 cases.
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

DR_Buck

Quote from: taw6243 on January 11, 2010, 10:28:16 PM
windshield washer fluid was $1.54 /Gallon at sam's club yesterday in 6 gallon cases. Bought 2 cases.

You got to watch that cheap stuff.   I got burned last year.  I saw the label that said 0° which is usually fine for Virginia.   What I didn't see was the fine print.  "0° c"    Other wise 32° F.    :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

You'll get many answers on blade lube/cleaner.  Here's what I use.  Cascade dish washing liquid.  10 oz. per 5 gallons of water.  In the winter, I also add 1 gallon of Prestone windshield wiper fluid to 4 gallons of water.  It's rated to -34o F.

I use this because it will not dis-color or stain your lumber.

Look down a couple of pages, and you will find several recent threads concerning this topic.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dirtdobber

Thanks for the input.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Brian  D.

bandmiller2

Brian,have cut alot of red cedar and never used any lube.A sharp well set band and care holding the smaller pieces are all you need.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dirtdobber

Thanks Guys, what little I have sawed, I havn't had any problems, any buildup, nor have I experinced any heating problems and I havn't used any lube. I just didn't want to hurt the mill. The guy I got the mill from used water and he said he burnt up alot of the roller blade guides, he believed it was due to the water.

Magicman

That shouldn't matter with sealed bearings.  I've cut ERC with and without lube.  I seem to get better blade life with, but that's just me.  Everyone has to do their own thing.

Your profile doesn't indicate where you are, and your post didn't say what kind of cedar that you are cutting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dirtdobber

Sorry about that, I'm from northeast TN (Tazewell) and i'm cutting eastern red cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!