iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Want to purchase new saw in spring

Started by JohnG28, January 11, 2010, 03:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and this is my first posting.  I have read a lot of postings on here and I have really liked everything that Ive read so far.  Anyways, on to my question...I am looking to buy a new saw in the spring, I am somewhat of an amateur still, but working to change that as much and often as I can.  I will be using it mainly in the Adirondacks where I will be cutting firewood for our family's camp, as well as various wood cutting on limited woods behind my house(again for firewood).  I will be cutting so rather large trees, esp up north...prob up to or slightly over 24" dia....any suggestions on saws?  I really, really want a stihl ms 361, however I am getting married in the fall and have had much trouble convincing my fiance that I need to spend $610 on a saw...local stihl dealer said that I would be fine with ms 390, but really liked the features, build, and power of 361....any help?  Thanks to all
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Ianab

Your dealer is right, a MS390 will work just fine as a firewood saw and you will have no worries cutting that size tree with one.

Yes the 361 is a better saw, it's a little lighter, a little more powerfull, and should be more durable. But the 390 will last you for many years of part time firewood cuttting. For all that some folks put them down, they are reliable saws, and thats really the most important thing.

A 20" bar is fine for trees up to around 36", for occasional use. Sure if you are cutting them all day, you will want a bigger saw for production reasons. But I've taken down 36" trees with my ms310, it's no big deal.

Also I'd rather go out cutting with a 390 AND the safety gear, than a 361 without. I'm sure your fiance wont begrudge you the chaps and helmet if you pick the cheaper saw.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
Like Ianab says, 361 with the safety gear. Don't think you will regret it.

But the 390 and the safety gear, you will know what to move up to if you feel you want a bit more.  :)

Don't think you can lose, either way.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jasperfield

I've got an MS361 and like it. As far as that goes, I've never had a Stihl saw I didn't like. They're all well suited for their designed purposes. Being new to this type of thing I'm sure you'd be well pleased with the MS390.

However; Rather than go through your dilema, maybe you can go around it.

Get with your fiance and set up a bridal registry at the Stihl dealership. Rather than being showered with four or five blenders or Crock Pots you could receive an MS361 (or MS390).

If this doesn't work out or if she's a little reticent about the idea you could suggest delaying the nuptuals for a period not to exceed six months, or so.

Just take care to assure her of your honorable intentions.

And by the way...you may want to go ahead and get the safety gear before making these suggestions to the little lady.

ford62783

where in the adirondacks are u im near warrensburg but any ways if the money is what she is concerned with u can look around at the saw shops for a decent used saw they are considerably cheaper and many times are just as good as a new saw if u r only useing it for firewood
timberjack 240e

ErikC

390 is a good saw, you'll do fine with it. Although the 361 might have some advantages it's not like the 390 is junk. It's probably better to keep her happy at this point..........you can always get more saws later ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Cut4fun

IF the MS390 is $459 and the MS361 is still $589 before tax etc. Its a no brain-er for $130 more. First time you go to work on the 390, the extra $130 spent on the 361 will pay for itself in labor.

JohnG28

Hey guys, thanks to all for the responses.  I have thought much over this in recent months, and your comments will definately help me.  I do think that spending the extra $130 will be worth it in the long run, and I dont think that the 390 is junk by any means...spent almost half hour at dealer with the two side by side on the floor looking them over, both look like very well built saws, although the plastic on the 390 I didnt like so much....I am also concerned that the 361, from what I understand, is no longer in production, and its replacement, the 362, is going for $700 at dealer...sounds like running out of time if I want to buy one new....I will be getting the safety chaps and helmet no matter what purchase I make, had already decided on that....Im in southern Adir, near Old Forge....oh, and if I pushed the wedding back I could prob buy any saw I want, as I would not have to worry about paying for a wedding anymore...thanks all :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

567paloggger

go with the 361 its only a little more but ask your dealer about the 60 dollar rebate cuz my local dealer had a 60 dollar rebate because the new 362 is out and they arent making the 361 plus he gave me 10 dollars more on the saws i got a 361 for 510 dollars i bought both 361s  he had if he had another one i would of got that so ask him if there is a rebate on the 361

JohnG28

palogger, thanks for the tip...checked a couple dealers today, and found 2 with 361s, one was standard model, other was c-q model with second chain brake...the one offered 10% off the c-q model, which was a good price, but didnt really want that model...other dealer offered $570 for regular 361, just what I wanted....just came back from putting deposit down, will be back in 2 weeks to pick it up...thanks to all for the feedback, I really appreciate it, was much help....now just have to sit still for 2 more weeks 8)

windthrown

Yah, avoid the CQ model. The side tensioner is weird and prone to fail longer term, and no one seems to like the auto-stop braking on that saw. The 361 is the way to go, especially at that price. They are selling out fast. I love mine, all three of them now. The 362 is heavier, about the same power and considerably more expensive.

Also I would recommend a 310 over a 390 or a 290. The 310 is cheaper and smoother than the 390. The 310 also has more power is smoother and not much more expensive than the 290. The only feature that the 390 has over the others is the decomp button. I just bought a used 310 myself and I still like this Stihl 1127 series of 'homeowner' saws. They have fully adjustible oilers and they are fairly easy to work on. They are also really easy to modify to get more power out of them. You can put a rim drive from the 360 on them as well.

BTW: In Europe the 310 and 390 are already being repalced with the 311 and the 391. They are smoother for UE laws, with 4.0/4.0 m/s² vibration compared to 4.3/4.7 m/s²  for the 310 and 5.9/5.1 m/s² for the 390 (lots more vibe on the 390). The new 311/391 saws are heavier than the 310/390 by over a pound, and the new saws both have slightly less HP than the current models. The new saws are also about  €30-50 euros more than the earlier model saws. They will be here in the states pretty soon.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

timberjack240

you messed up !! you shoulda told her you rele wanted a 660 but you would settle for a 361  :D . iim still in the lucky stage the women after me think these big chainsaws are the most awesome thing in the world cause they dont what they cost  ;D . jsut suprise her .. hunnie look what i bought  8) haha

madhatte

Used 036 PRO/MS360.

Save cash.

Spend saved cash on safety gear.

Own saw which is super-easy to work on and easy to find parts for. 

Laugh while others bother over how to get around EPA mods to otherwise-sound design concepts. 

Enjoy grind-in-a minute mods. 

When the Joneses ask, just tell 'em it was crazy spendy.  The rockin' exhaust note will keep questions to a minimum. 

Live in Kevlar, protected equally well against market dips and congressional dips. 

JohnG28

Lol...well im not pushing my luck with her, I didnt go much over what I would have spent anyways, and she does understand the concept of get what you pay for, and trusts my judgement, so shes happy and Im happy...this is the saw that I really wanted, happy that I was able to get one new while there was still some avail, and Ill get safety gear before go out using it...prob going to be a little while, as Im not going to be doing much winter cutting, not this year anyway, although when i bring this saw home ill prob sludge through the snow to woods behind my house for a test run, haha...dont think that I can wait till spring, thats no fun...I think that in the future Ill prob look at other saws to get good collection going(already have husky 142, though believe its really a poulan...good saw for what ive used it for though)...I wouldnt mind some used equip, but the 361 I wanted new, just wasnt something I wanted to risk being messed up before I got it

Cut4fun

Once you get your run time on it and your  out of warranty if your worried about the warranty part. Open up the muffler and adjust the carb.  You will find it a totally different saw and wake up from the slumber.

JohnG28

I have read a lot about these saws being a much better beast with a muffler mod, sounds as if they come pretty restricted from the factory...have read that they can be done with drilling out holes around existing baffle, and also heard that the 361 should only be done by having an additional port added, which would be better choice...have seen custom mufflers on ebay for around $70...also have heard that they need an adj to run more rich from factory settings, even without the mod...is that true right out of the box, or should be done after about 10 tanks of gas when the saw is broken in

Cut4fun

I wouldnt touch the ebay mufflers, JMO. Left side of muffler drill you a hole dime size to a little bigger. Get you  a Husky 281-288 deflector with spark screen (if you want it) and screws and your done for under $15.

I bought a 361 used that just had 3 holes drilled in the front in a row, worked just the same at no cost. No spark screen that way though.

windthrown

While the 360 is a great saw, ther are few of them to be had these days, and usually the owners want a small ransom for them when they do come up for sale. 361s are far more common and easier to get used in good condition. Also they can still be bought new at some dealers with a warantee (they are drying up fast though). Also regarding warantees, a lot of credit card companies will double the warantee period for chainsaws if you purchase them on the CC. I know that Capital One MC does anyway.  After that open her up with the Husky deflector cover muffler port job.

If you want a really low cost and fairly easy to find 60cc saw, get 310 and open up the muffler. Even just a mild European muffler mod to match the 'standard' original 4 port 1127 muffler from Stihl will add 10% HP, and give you the same HP as a stock 361 at 4.4 HP. I am doing that to my new found 310 toy yesterday. That saw was so cheap on CL it was a crime to buy it! Maybe 50 hours on it, and it had a 25 inch ES bar to boot. Bit much of a bar for that saw stock, but not after the Dr. Dremel is done with that factory choked up muffler.

EPA, bite me!
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

JohnG28

That sounds simple enough, think ill look it over and see what i can do...any suggestions on carb adj during break in period, should rich it up, or should i wait till all broke in?

Cut4fun

If you dont have a tach and you dont know how to set the saw up by ear. Have your dealer check it before you leave the place to see where it is at. Then have him fine tune if needed before you leave.

JohnG28

No i dont have a tach, ill have them check it out thanks

JohnG28

Well, Im now the owner of a nice shiny new ms361, and I cant wait to get out and use it...unfurtunatly the weather gods arent being kind, and the week of nice warm weather has changed to cold, windy, upstate ny winter weather again, figures...soon enough I suppose, thanks all for your help

Thank You Sponsors!