iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

70x100 riding arena?

Started by matt eddy, January 11, 2010, 10:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt eddy

Hi, I havn't posted on here in awhile but I have a question for the group of us here.  I have a possible client interested in a 70x100 indoor riding arena.  Wants it done with as much traditional joinary as possible and the kicker being he wants it clear span.  I am not a engineer but this project seems like a good one for a engineer.  He is not opposed to having a manufactured truss for the roof, but would lke to see prices for comparision with timber.  anyone ever done a clear span building of this magnatude?  if so please share some ideas with me.  thanks alot!
matt
Pine Tree Timberframes

shinnlinger

HI,

I say frame the walls as high as need be traditionally and bring in the trusses.  You could probably work a hammer truss system up to do a clear span, but I bet it would be big $$$ for your client.

Ed Levin is an guy you might want to speak with though if you are looking for an engineer for a hammer truss.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Jim_Rogers

Hammer beam trusses require a large buttress outside of the building to offset the thrust of the roof system.

Ben from Firetower engineering is doing a lot of large span stuff using keyed beams. If you need a link to their website let me know.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

matt eddy

Jim can you send me the link?  looking at the costs i am thinking trusses on timber walls is going to be the soulution.  thanks for input guys!

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

matt eddy

Thehardway

There is a 70 foot span Douglas Fir truss pictured at the bottom of this webpage.  It does use metal plates however.

http://www.americanpoleandtimber.com/proj_commercial.shtml

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Thank You Sponsors!