iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reddog's Request

Started by Burlkraft, January 11, 2010, 09:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

Jill got right on your question about turning some of that elm.

If it don't warp and crack it's gonna be a beauteeeeee   8)  8)  8)

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Reddog

Wow 8)

Well even if it does warp and crack, that is just part of the character of the piece. ;)
Can't wait to see how it finishes. :)

SwampDonkey

Epoxy the sucker and she won't move. ;D I like turning elm, but I always turned mine with the end grain on the chuck. I got a crack in one I turned, that was from dropping it before I got the epoxy on.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Jill has been busy at work and hasn't had too much time to turn. She did get down there last night.

Here's what it looks like now......

Nice Lookin' Elm...Eh?

jim king

Wood turners should start self help groups for those flat board guys to teach them that spalt, knots, twisted grain and all those defects are great.

That is a beautifl bowl.

Reddog

Wow, nice too see this log had more than firewood in it. :)

Warbird

WOW!   :o  That is one of the more beautiful bowls I've ever seen.  Nicely done.  What is it coated with in the pictures to make it all shiny like that?

fishpharmer

Okay, that's it.  I am gonna have to get a lathe someday.  Incredible looking bowl.  Now I'm looking a little differently at some old logs laying around . 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Dan_Shade

I have a lathe, and I still think it's firewood  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Warbird

Why on earth would you think of your lathe as firewood?  ???  ;)

SwampDonkey

Looking good burlkrafters. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Quote from: Warbird on January 15, 2010, 11:23:05 AMWhat is it coated with in the pictures to make it all shiny like that?

Mineral oil

Burlkraft

Quote from: Reddog on January 15, 2010, 09:29:08 AM
Wow, nice too see this log had more than firewood in it. :)

Wait till ya see the boards I cut out of it  :o  :o  :o  :o

beenthere

Speaking of firewood...get a load of these prices.

Might have to set up shop somewheres.

http://www.westelm.com/products/f655/?pkey=x%7C4%7C1%7C%7C6%7Ctree%20stump%7C%7C0&cm_src=SCH
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Ain't that sumpthin   ::)  ::)  ::)

Jeff's got a million dollars worth of them on his land   :D  :D  :D

sprucebunny

Beautiful bowl, Jill  8) 8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Lud

That's real strong contrast.  Looks great!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dave Shepard

The things people will do to get out of spitting a little elm.  ::)

:D Very nice.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pasbuild

I see ya couldn't get Reddog ta give up the good wood, he gave me a trailer load of dat rotten old wood too ::)

Lookin good Jill
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Reddog

Ya and I had to deliver yours too. ;D
And then you yell at me when I stuck it with the peavey.  :-[
The good wood goes in da stove! ;)

tyb525

I some dead elm just like that! I have to try it now. ;D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Don_Papenburg

DanG , Dadgumit  Beenthere , Now Linda wants me to clean up the old oaktree that fell last year.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

WDH

Wally,

You find the DanGest logs :D.  I wish you were closer to me so you could find me some!

Jill, that bowl is simply incredible  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: pasbuild on January 15, 2010, 06:53:09 PM
I see ya couldn't get Reddog ta give up the good wood, he gave me a trailer load of dat rotten old wood too ::)

Yeah, like the old fart I gave some good cherry logs to and got a 2 foot chunk of stove wood in return. Make something from that he said. :D

Burlkraft

Quote from: pasbuild on January 15, 2010, 06:53:09 PM

Lookin good Jill

Speaking of rotten wood, find any for me  ???  ;D

beenthere

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on January 15, 2010, 08:54:32 PM
DanG , Dadgumit  Beenthere , Now Linda wants me to clean up the old oaktree that fell last year.
Well, ya better get busy... ;D  for Linda, the patient one.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pasbuild

Speaking of rotten wood, find any for me  ???  ;D

I put in an order ;)

BcWoodWorks

Gosh dude; Jill is wicked with a Lathe. I never knew dat.  ???

I'm not sure if I should say good work, Jill....Or you owe me about 60 Lathe lessons Steve.

When in doubt, I usually choose both. Awesome work to da lady.  :D
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

Burlkraft

The bowl is done. Jill's been oiling it for 2 days.

Here's some pics........

Rumor has it that this bowl is going to be full of peenuts at the pig roast and then sum lucky sumbuddy is gonna go home with it!  8)  8)  8)

Reddog

Well that turned out Nice 8)

SwampDonkey

That sure is an interesting bowl. I bet that elm really soaks up the oil. ;D I see a signature on there don't I?

I can taste them peanuts myself.  ;)

Where do I send my particulars for the draw? ;D

Burlkraft

I never said anything about a draw  ;D

Jeff

That Bowl is flat out awesome.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Absolutely amazing.  My compliments to the turner!

Mooseherder

That thing is beautiful. 8)

Bro. Noble

Well,  I'm not very artistic and therefore am not able to appreciate some stuff as well as those of you that are more gifted.  I have a hard time understanding how people can be so crazy about wood that is begining to rot.  Elm is about my least favorite of woods.  But,  even I can recognize that that is a beautiful work of art that the craftsman and owner should take great pride in 8) 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

WDH

If I fill that bowl with Georgia peanuts, maybe that will give me an edge.  Oh wait, I forgot.  Pigman and Pasbuild will probably be there and they always win everything.  Shoot.......foiled again  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

There will be 152 peanuts in that  beautiful bowl. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

pasbuild

Could I get the dementions of that bowl please ;D ;D :D

Burlkraft

Quote from: pasbuild on January 26, 2010, 04:33:38 AM
Could I get the dementions of that bowl please ;D ;D :D

What...Gonna clear out a place for it?  :D  :D  :D

SwampDonkey

Going the guess the peanut count. :D

pasbuild

Just like to get a head start on the math ;D ;D

Patty

Jill's bowl is just beautiful!

Just exactly what do I have to do to insure that I win it?  ???
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Burlkraft

First ya have ta show up!!!  ;D  ;D

Warbird

I so wish I could be there.  And not just to try and win that beautiful bowl.  My travel fund will likely have to be used to get us to my BIL's wedding in Sept, tho.  :(  I mean, we're happy for him but I really wanted to make the pig roast this year and finally meet all of you guys.

BcWoodWorks

Quote from: Warbird on January 27, 2010, 11:03:22 AM
I so wish I could be there.  And not just to try and win that beautiful bowl.  My travel fund will likely have to be used to get us to my BIL's wedding in Sept, tho.  :(  I mean, we're happy for him but I really wanted to make the pig roast this year and finally meet all of you guys.

:D You could always sell a kid or two; I hear the pig roasts are worth it. Just turning of age to go myself.

Jeff

Quote from: BcWoodWorks on January 27, 2010, 12:36:51 PM
:D You could always sell a kid or two; I hear the pig roasts are worth it. Just turning of age to go myself.

Don't get the wrong idea on what the pigroast is or all about. You don't need to be 21 to attend. The Forestry Forum Pigroasts are Family events, so selling kids to come would not be an option as the kids are more then welcome and encouraged to come, and those that have come always have a very good time and look forward to coming back.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BcWoodWorks

Gotcha, Jeff.  ;)

I always just figured it'd be nice to have a few cold ones during the course of the roast.  ;D I've still got some woodwork with pig roast stuff all over it from 1996. Could have been a different pig roast tho. *shrug*

I was...what, 7 then?  ;D

Burlkraft

Quote from: BcWoodWorks on January 27, 2010, 12:36:51 PM

Better watch what you say there BC. There was more than one day I was ready to wrap you up and send you to the sale barn     ;D  ;D  ;)

Coon

What are we gonna start the bidding at ???  I give you 5 dollar...  :D  :D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

pasbuild

FIVE DOLLERS :o Jills goin ta be lookin ta give ya thumpin i'm thinkin

Payton34

Frau Burlkraft, checking in.  I requested Burlkraft send a big THANK YOU to everyone for all the nice compliments and comments during my recent turning adventures.   ;D ;D.
He suggested I get my own account so I could do it myself.  Bear with me as I don't know what I am doing-never been on a forum before.   So...many, many thanks for all of the encouragement and admiration I received during my turning.  I have a lot of fun and it has taken a long time, but I am improving.  I think I turned the corner when I wasn't afraid of the wood or the lathe anymore.   Anyway, it has been great getting to know you all and once I figure out a bit about the forum, I won't be "afraid" of posting anymore, either!!!   A special thanks to Reddog for the gorgeous elm...the bowl would be nothing without special wood.

Norm

You know Jill I was thinking about getting Steve over here for some turning lessons but after seeing your handiwork I know who the real talent is.  :)

Welcome to the posting side of FF, glad you joined up.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum Jill.
Now we have to be careful or we will get Steve in trouble?  ;D
south central Wisconsin

Patty

Jill!

Welcome to the forum.

We need more women on here.  ;) Roxie, Joan (Sprucebunny) & I have our hands full keeping these guys in line.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

BcWoodWorks

Quote from: beenthere on January 29, 2010, 03:01:32 PM
Welcome to the forum Jill.

Nope, he don't need our help with dat one pal. ;D

Steve - The only thing we had in the barn was a tractor that really didn't run, and a bunch of birds. I suspect you may be talking about someone else's boy; i had nothing but good grades and straight up behavior. :D if you are insinuating otherwise, maybe you should go to the barn!  ;)

Jill! Welcome to the Forum! Good to see you joined up, I was wondering how long it would take. Hope you'll have as many laughs as I have had here, good peoples.

Payton34

Quote from: Patty on January 29, 2010, 04:34:45 PM
Jill!

Welcome to the forum.

We need more women on here.  ;) Roxie, Joan (Sprucebunny) & I have our hands full keeping these guys in line.

Thanks for the welcome.  I don't know much about logging, but I'll do my best ;D

Payton34

Quote from: Norm on January 29, 2010, 02:04:20 PM
You know Jill I was thinking about getting Steve over here for some turning lessons but after seeing your handiwork I know who the real talent is.  :)

Welcome to the posting side of FF, glad you joined up.
He taught me everything I know, so you'd be better off starting with him.  Thanks for the vote of confidence, tho! :)
See you at the Pig roast ???

WDH

Quote from: beenthere on January 29, 2010, 03:01:32 PM

I suspect that you already have  :).

Thank You Sponsors!