iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I did a bad, bad thing...I did a bad bad thing..

Started by oldsaw, October 02, 2003, 04:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw

Went to Timberking today and played with the demo 1220 they have out back.  I originally just wanted to pick up a cant hook (they were out), but David took me out to play.

I still have sawdust on my shoes, and some may have entered my bloodstream.  I liked it a whole lot.  Cranking could get a bit old, but I guess it would be even more exciting if it were your own wood you were unwrapping.  But for the upcharge to get a 1600...I'll be willing to crank.  What a way to spend lunch.  David had already eaten so I didn't even get to buy him lunch for the experience.  

I can see where you guys can get a bit hooked.  Verrry Cooool  8)  8)  8).  Now it's just the money thing  :'(  

Let's see.  If I hold off on the transport package, settle for 15hp, ... Just how much would that down payment be...hmmm.  Sorry guys...I'm thinking.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

ohsoloco

From the title of your thread, and the way it started out, I thought you went home with one and had to explain the purchase to the wife  :D    If you were to buy one, I'd get all the horsepower you can.  Ya done did it now...you got the bug  ;D

sawwood

Oldsaw i live in Independence and have been over to there
 place some. I sure like the 1600 with hyd system and the
 trailer package. Where are you at ? May be we can git to
 geather some saterday.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Tom

I knew you were going to run one of those mills soon.  Just couldn't help yourself, could you. :D   I'll bet David hollered and fussed and grabbed you by the arm trying to pull you away too. :D :D

Are you going back? 8)

Bibbyman

You guys got to keep the excitement down else others will hear and they'll try on a sawmill,  then they'll be hooked and then and then.... Before you know it,  everyone will know how much fun it is to run a sawmill and everyone will have one.

We had so much fun with ours,  we were up before dawn and didn't get back into the house until after dark.  

8) 8) 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

I can see where you guys can get a bit hooked

A bit?

A Bit

[size=12]A BIT YOU SAY[/size][/color]
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodbeard

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

A bit

Wife says to husband "your not very handsom"
Husband replies " Thats why I didn't end up with a very good wife"

insert rim shot here.............................................. :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ARKANSAWYER

If you give up lunch how much sooner would you have the down payment?   Sell your car and walk to work and put the payments on the mill ::).  Might Work!   It is not that cool to get up and walk to the mill and watch the sun come up and warm your back as you open the first log of the day and to still be out there when it sets and trying to get one more board.  Betcha I will be out there in the morning doing it again. ;D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

woodmills1

7:30 makin blades
8:30 ina woods
10:30 loading staging area
3:30 products almost done
4:00 walkin customer
5:30 a little can o peas
6:00 puttin away yesterdays debri

Tomorrow
stackin the shorts and leftovers from today
then deliverin the products from today
tell the good wife I love her
cut more fire wood
split mor fire wood

God this is great! :D :D 8)

Jason_WI

Arky,

I have only seen the sun rise a few times in my life....... not a morning person.

That's why I have halogen lighting above my mill. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

oldsaw

option.

But there is one out there for me.  Looks like the old mini-van is going to stick around a bit longer.  Hope it lasts like my old Jetta.  216,000 and it hasn't broke yet.  Wife loves it though...saves even more money.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

woodbeard

Wanna save even more money? Build a engine that will burn sawdust ( It has been done! ). Of course, then you will have to find a way to make lots of sawdust. ;D

Bigdogpc

1220 is not a bad mill.  The cranking is no big deal as long as you aren't looking for a lot of production.  Extra horses is nice to have.  Cuts nice lumber!  A little sawdust on ya and ye be ruined for life...all your wakin' and dreamin' hours will be logs and boards and more sawdust!

ohsoloco

Jason, a few years ago I saw the sky lighten and the sun rise most every day for a year...I was working 11-7  :D

Tim

there are a couple designs I found that you could use sawdust for fuel for woodbeard. one is closed circuit steam, the other is the smoker engine that hitler was using at the end of ww2.

the steam one has the potential to blow up while the smoker generates half the rated horsepower.

the bug takes fits for me when I am in the big mills around here. see... I'm essentially lazy, why lift it when I can convince a machine to do it for me. There is a mill in Killaloe that is running a 40 bin sorter to pile the lumber. It really is something else. It carries the lumber on hooks and is comuterized to drop the pice into the proper bin. when the bin is full it dumps out onto another conveyor that draws the lumber to a sticker / stacker. there are two people running this machine to pile upto 120,000 feet a shift. (insert labour / mechanization arguements here)
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Paul_H

Tim,
A friend was telling me about the smoker engine,just last week,but said he couldn't find much info on it other than anecdotal.
Any idea where he could look?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

Paul, Look for Lindsay Publications. Mother Earth News, Alternative Energy Mags, Google.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paul_H

I tried a Google search " smoker engine ww11 german"

Turns out there are a lot of car engines out there that smoke  :D

I'll try the other sources you listed.

Thanks
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

C_Miller

Dan Laskowski (He put the "L" in the LT-40) is working on marketing an external combustion engine that will run a generator it uses any kind of biomass to make fire.

//www.gatherweb.com

Is the address, I don't know if I got it to link.

C

CJM

Tom

Don's efforts with the Sterling are frequently questioned here on the forum.  The address  has an "ing" attached.

http://www.gatheringweb.com/entre_giving.htm

This should take you there and provide everyone some good reading.  Thanks for the link, C_Miller.

Thank You Sponsors!