iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question regarding WM Resharp

Started by Don K, January 10, 2010, 12:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

I have a question and thought I would ask it here and see what I get and if nobody knows for sure, I'll call Resharp Monday. I've had blades sharpened before but do they reset teeth on resharps? Seems to me a couple I have used out of the box have some teeth out of set. Doesn't effect the cut, just if I talk about how smooth a bandmill cuts, I don't want to throw on a blade and have marks on the lumber. Drives me nuts.

If they don't set, I'm thinking about getting a setter and doing my own. Cook's list one for $395. WM doesn't seem have prices on their site. Also does anyone have experience using both of these setters. Would like to have testimonials on accuracy, ease of setup, flaws, etc. I know Woodbowl sets his own and made some mods to the handle to increase throw in the handle. Pretty ingenious cat, he is. Anyway, if someone has some insight, let me know.

Thanks, Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

bandmiller2

Don,I don't know 100% but I would say resharp does set.Most setters only add set and if a band has some teeth that are set too much it dosen't bring them back in line.Usally if a couple of teeth are splayed wide you can find them and use a small adjustable wrench to tweek them into submission.Don your a clever lad make your own setter,a dial indicator ,destaco overcenter clamp,piece of steel plate and a couple of steel blocks.I am sure Cooks will sell you all you need.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Papa1stuff

Resharp does reset as I used them until I purchased my CBN sharpener and  a setter.
There is a little tool with the setter to reajust teeth that have to much set!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Don K

I guess that makes sense now that I think about it. The marks I am getting are from teeth that are a little too far out of set. If I am not mistaken a setter would not correct it unless it was a tooth set in the wrong direction. You would have to catch while setting and bring it back a little. Some of these blades have been on their second trip through Resharp. I don't overly use these blades so I hope to get good life from them. I hope to get at least one more trip out of them. I know WM does not often sharpen as much as a individual would due to tooth wear. Thanks guys.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Chuck White

Quote from: Don K on January 10, 2010, 08:53:03 AM
I guess that makes sense now that I think about it. The marks I am getting are from teeth that are a little too far out of set. If I am not mistaken a setter would not correct it unless it was a tooth set in the wrong direction. You would have to catch while setting and bring it back a little. Some of these blades have been on their second trip through Resharp. I don't overly use these blades so I hope to get good life from them. I hope to get at least one more trip out of them. I know WM does not often sharpen as much as a individual would due to tooth wear. Thanks guys.

Don

Don; I've used both the Wood-Mizer and the Cook's tooth setters!
They are essentially the same, both very accurate, but I prefer the Cook's because the dial indicator is easier to read, I can even read it without my glasses. ;D  smiley_safety_glasses

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Don K

Thanks Chuck. I was guessing the same thing from Cook's pics as I have seen the WM setter up close. I guess it will come down to the usual determining factor, cost and options = purchase. ;D

Banjo picker

I don't think I can add much.   I have the Cook's single setter you are looking at it is a nice tool if you don't use it too much..If you cut full time I would advise the double setter that they have....If I ever go back to full time sawing I will trade mine in on one...The sharpening is almost fun...but boy do I hate that setting....flipping the band and setting again....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dave Shepard

I've had a few blades come back from Re-sharp that left a ridge every couple of inches. I have talked to Floyd at Hannibal and he thinks it's a band that had a tooth that was damaged really badly. He said to tag the bands and he would look at them to see what was going on. I haven't come up with a reason to even consider doing any of my own blade maintenance yet, and I hope I never do. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

From back when I used resharp I would get the same thing that Don is talking about but my blades all came it the big flat box and had the metal clip holding them I figured the metal clip might have caused some of this in the shipping.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

We've used Resharp for years.  A few come back that will leave a mark as you describe but I send at least that many that has hit something and damaged a couple of teeth.   

At one time, they would pitch these blades but I've asked them to go ahead and sharpen them if they can.  Still sometimes I get a box back with one or two rejected because of teeth damaged too much.  I think maybe 3 missing tooth tips in a row or something kicks them out of the setter.

I don't worry about a little mark across the board as long as the blade cuts fast and straight and the lumber comes out the right dimension – as most often it still does even if it has a deep or shallow saw mark. 

After all – it is "rough" sawn lumber.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

I sent them a band that ate 7, 1/2" lag bolts. They didn't reject it as far as I know. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

My understanding is that WM ReSharp sets the bands, resharpens them, and then sets them again.

When you send a band  for sharpening that has hit junk, then that band will probably leave marks for the rest of it's life.  It probably wasn't what ReSharp did or didn't do.  It was what you did before sending it to them.  At least that is true in my case.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

If I get a mark every now and than so what?  It seems like the mark will disappear later and if it doesn't that's why we have planers.  I guess one could argue that it might cause checking in oak...and I suppose that could have some validity.

WM makes a setter that uses a screw...so do I.  They have never seen my setter...and I've never seen there's...at least up close and personal.  I wonder what they cost?  I will tell you that once using a screw setter you will never go back to the old style push one.  It's far easier, more accurate, and faster.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

My only gripe with the rough sawn mentality is when the product coming off the mill is the finish product. Timbers, some siding, and a few other products don't get planed. That line is unacceptable in some products.

Don K

So far I have been lucky and have not hit any junk with my current batch of blades so that is not a viable reason. I know it is rough sawn lumber as do we all but I find that when the first time potential mill buyers or customers quizz anyone they eventually ask how clean or smooth lumber does the mill produce. I have cut lumber with new blades that were almost as good as planed, but I will not give a customer lumber that has teeth marks on it. That goes against what is claimed about the quality of lumber that can be sawn on a bandmill. I don't mind it for myself on framing lumber and I will surely take one off when it pops up on a customers lumber. I feel my reputation as a supplier of quality lumber would be in jeopardy. I agree with Dave's last statement.

I keep a log of blade numbers and times sharpened. When I come across one out of set I will note the number and hold them back for my personal use so they will not be used on a customers wood if it seems to be consistent on the same blades time after time.

If anyone is getting the impression I am faulting Resharp you are wrong. I am well satisfied with their work. I was just curious if they set every time.

Don

Magicman

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 10, 2010, 05:34:45 PM
My only gripe with the rough sawn mentality is when the product coming off the mill is the finish product. Timbers, some siding, and a few other products don't get planed. That line is unacceptable in some products.

Which is why I pay close attention to my finished product.  If it is framing lumber, then saw marks are acceptable.  If I put a band on that is leaving saw marks on lumber that is to be used as paneling, then I'll change it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

When to pull off a saw that is marking has always been a quality control issue for me. I have always sharpened saws in house rather then sending saws out to be sharpened even when running a production mill. When running studs there is an allowable amount of making. When milling fence boards or siding that allowable amount gets considerably less.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

Band teeth bend quite easily I think coiling and uncoiling they can hook on eachouther.Sometimes if a band is marking I shut the mill down take a stick of wood and run it along the band if you got the "feel" you can pick out a high tooth.Also if you cut a nail take your pocket knife and flip out that little curl of metal on the face of the tooth and check its set.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cedarman

And then there is the guy who wants deep gouges in the 2x8 so that the footbridge flooring will be rough enough to help with traction.  Nice that bandmills can make what the customer wants.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

MartyParsons

Wood-Mizer Resharp. The blade is checked for damage. It is ground with a CBN wheel
The blade is washed and debured. The blade is set with a computer setter does both sides. It can add set or remove set. If the blade has hit metal and the setter can not adjust the set it will stop and blink to tell the operator there is a problem. The final step is a final kiss grind to square up the tooth after the tooth was set. We have a master gauge to check the set after the final grind.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Magicman

What he said.

The only difference that I have ever seen between a new band and a Resharp band is if I have hit junk, there may be a raised streak across the cut where that tooth was supposed to be.  I have never had a tooth to dig deeper across the cut.

Don K

Thanks Marty. I thought I had seen a video or read something to that effect. It just suprised me to put on a blade and see the marks. I haven't hit anything with those blades, maybe one got dinged a little by me or someone prior to putting it on the mill.

Magic, thanks for your stamp of approval on Marty's post. :)

Don

Dave Shepard

Quote from: MartyParsons on January 13, 2010, 11:22:22 AM
Wood-Mizer Resharp. The blade is checked for damage. It is ground with a CBN wheel
The blade is washed and debured. The blade is set with a computer setter does both sides. It can add set or remove set. If the blade has hit metal and the setter can not adjust the set it will stop and blink to tell the operator there is a problem. The final step is a final kiss grind to square up the tooth after the tooth was set. We have a master gauge to check the set after the final grind.

I know I can't do all that for $8. :D

Thank You Sponsors!