iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

backer board for picture frames?

Started by Dan_Shade, January 09, 2010, 11:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I have a few frames I've been working on and I'm not sure what to put on the back of the pictures and matting.  Heavy cardboard (this seems cheap)...

Is it OK to use 1/8 masonite?  Will it "offgas" and damage the photographs?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

dutchman

You want to use a non acid backer board.
Google: artist mat , or art backer board, these should get you sources.
You could try a local framing shop.
Acid free is what you want.

Dan_Shade

here's the picture:

I'm pretty proud of this one.  My grandmother snapped the photo, probably in the late 1940's (possibly earlier).  It's a photo of my grandfather, great grandfather, and two great uncles sawing on a Frick Mill, the scan is in my photo gallery.

I went home a few years ago and dug around in the rafters of the sawmill (a different frick than this one) and scrounged some walnut that he sawed for the frame. 

It's not perfect, but it's good enough:

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Looks mighty fine Dan, picture to.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

I noticed a few tell tale glue streaks in the wood after I finished it :(

Dan_Shade

WDH

I use the masonite.  I am not sure if it is acidic or not.

That picture looks perfect on that wall.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Fine spot Dan, to remember your gramps. More than one generation to.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!