iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Geometric Design.

Started by Dave Shepard, January 09, 2010, 10:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Last November I took a Timber Framers Guild sponsored workshop focusing on geometric design. I was asked via PM if I had any photos of the frame in my avatar, so I thought I'd share with everyone. I don't have any pics of the geometric design, and how it was applied to the frame. Tim/Moonhill, do you have any?

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Carpenter

Thanks for the pictures Dave.  That must have been the Sobon workshop?  I would have liked to have gone to that.  Did you guys saw the lumber on site as well?  The braces at least look pit sawn from the pictures.  Was it all pit sawn or was some of it hewed?  Very interesting use of bracing.  Odviously very strong as well.  Was the bracing based on an original building?  And my final question for the evening, Was it fun?  It looks like fun.  Looks like nice weather too. 

Dave Shepard

Yes, that was the Smith-Sobon workshop. We hewed the joists and plates. The curved braces were pit-sawn. Everything else I sawed at work on our Wood-Mizer. The frame is all white pine, with the exception of two curved braces, which were larch. There was a defect in the log that we sawed the four matching braces from, and we lost two of them. The design was not based on any particular building that I know of. Yes, the workshop was a lot of fun. The weather was fairly cool, with some rain. Fortunately we had the big top in the background to work in. I believe the Guild is working on offering this workshop again, as there was a strong demand for it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

As Dave has stated there was a strong demand for this type of workshop. There were 26 students in this glass and 20 on the waiting list.

It is suppose to be offered again this coming fall, but I don't know of the date as yet, nor the location or size of the frame.

As soon as I hear about any of this, I'll let you know.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

moonhill

I may have some pictures but I am not posting them as it is a secret ;D. 

That is me in the first picture with the large green ape gloves.

As for the design pertaining to a building?  Yes, that one. 

I will check my photos for a design and e-mail it to someone who can post it.

I wonder if anyone else from the group has been working on a geometric designed frame?  I am and part of it will be going up in a few days, weather permitting.

It was a wonderful workshop. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Carpenter

Please let me know if they are going to have another one Jim. 
Thanks,

delabenetolliere

Hey Dave:
Sorry, I'm off-topic here, but just wanted to tell you I found the use of the compass/scribe knife you got at the workshop: it is a leather working tool, there was one on eBay France for sale a month or so ago, same size, same brand-name.
Take care,
Emmanuel

Dave Shepard

Thanks Emmanuel! It is still a neat tool, it did seem a bit delicate for wood. Welcome to the Forum.  :)

Jim_Rogers

Dave, is he talking about the one you got from me?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

Thank You Sponsors!