iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ax-Men; new series

Started by mrnero, January 09, 2010, 08:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrnero

New series of Ax-men this Sunday. If its anything like the previous series, It should be quite interesting on how professional logging operations are performed throughout the country.

thecfarm

Don't take this the wrong way,but that is not how it's done.The first season was pretty good,the second one I only watched 2-3 shows.Got tired of them laughing at the new guy and bumping thier gums.I may watch one show to see how this series will be.
I think this link is last years series,
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,36303.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mrnero

Quote from: thecfarm on January 09, 2010, 08:57:36 AM
...............but that is not how it's done.

What do you mean when you say " ...thats not how its done" ?

thecfarm

Please go to the link and read EVERY post in the link.Just like I said the first series was not too bad,but the second one was a waste of time IMO.Lots of good opinions in the link.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

motohed

Quote from: thecfarm on January 09, 2010, 09:13:26 AM
Please go to the link and read EVERY post in the link.Just like I said the first series was not too bad,but the second one was a waste of time IMO.Lots of good opinions in the link.

X2 osha would never allow a lot of what went on in that series .

Jeff

I'll probably watch the first show to see whats up this year, but after that mess they screened last year, I'm not to excited about it. Good thing about this year is I don't HAVE to watch it like I did the last two. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

It is kinda like watchin a horror movie (or any movie for that matter) and thinking that what is seen is "how it is performed" in real life.  :)

Mrnero - you are a good straight man anyway.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LOGDOG

Guys,

Have any of the Axe Men crew made a showing here recently? I know some of them were posting there for a bit.

LOGDOG

Warbird

They were posting here?  Hope I didn't anger any of them with my negative comments about the show...

Jeff

Jay Browning has not been on since last spring. He never did have much time for forums.  Darryl from Gustafson logging checked in last year, and we swapped hats.  :)   I think they are or were in the public eye to such an extent that posting on a forum is not something they find to be an added enjoyment. 

LOGDOG

You're probably right Jeff. If they were around I thought I'd get some perspective from them on one of myother threads regarding the availabiity of logs to the small producer in OR, WA, and B.C.

Getting good insight from our members as it is though.  :)

Let's hope this years series of Ax-Men is tuned up from what it was last year.

LOGDOG

mrnero

Quote from: Jeff on January 10, 2010, 08:38:44 AM
Jay Browning .... were in the public eye ....that posting on a forum is not something they find to be an added enjoyment. 

"A-men" to that.  expecialy if Jay Browning and other Ax-men had to reply daily to negative impacts on a forum, regarding to their logging technique's in the Great NW woods. To me, thats not enjoyment either. But anyway Mr Browning ( if you and your other professional loggers in the Great NW are listening),   I'm looking forward to your new Ax-men series. Good Luck

LOGDOG

Actually Jay Browning is fine. Runs a good operation. But his son Jessie, Jimmy (the dad) from S&S Aqua logging, and the skinny yarder operator with the glasses and scruffy beard who's constantly screwing up - they all need a bar of soap in their mouth. There's nothing "professional" about conducting yourself in that manner in the workplace. Doesn't matter what field of work you're in.

LOGDOG

Jeff

Logdog, my following comment is not at all trying to dispute yours, or negate it in anyway, I'm only using it as an example.

Having had phone conversations with 3 or 4 people directly related to the axmen show, I know comments like Logdog's are the exact type of thing these guys do not want to see and why they stay away. We generally don't make such public comments about each others private affairs, but for some reason we do it about someone once they are on T.V.  Somehow to the public, it makes them fair game for public comment. Be it negative, or the opposite, to gush over them and tell them how wonderful they are.  Its easier for them just to stay away from it.  No matter what they say, they can't win, as the show has already created a public impression that is hard to change, be it reality, or reality as the producers see to create it.

LOGDOG

You're probably right Jeff. Editing definitely plays a role in what we see of any reality series. Condensing material can make the content seem more "concentrated" either for the better or worse. Unless the producers are inciting these guys to "communicate" the way they do my personal opinion (and that's all it is) is that they could show some restraint in their choice of words. Take for instance the "Deadliest Catch" series. I'm sure that those fisherman and the Captains of those boats probably use some choice words from time to time. But they don't make it on our screen. I'm not sure who influences that. Do the producers edit it? Do the individuals opt not to use the language while on camera? We know they have disputes on camera but I've never seen the "color" on Deadliest Catch that I've seen on Axe Men.

I think it's probably fair to say that we have quite a mix of folks here on the Forum. We probably all have a varied opinion regarding what's acceptable in how we deal with people in our personal life whether it's verbally, physically or otherwise. Yet, when we show up to a public place like the Forum we "groom" our habits to fit the environment that we're in. I think that is what has made the Forum so appealing and attractive. I'd be inclined to think that the Axe Men series would have a larger audience tuning in if they cleaned it up a bit. If they did, then we wouldn't have comments about it on the Forum and they wouldn't have to feel self-conscious about visiting. Again, just a personal preference / opinion.

I "do" enjoy watching the equipment and the scenery. Just gotta click the mute button sometimes. :) Like the Forum is your living room Jeff, our TV's are in all of our living rooms. If someone was running their mouth like the guys on Axe Men in my living room, they'd be asked to tone it down or take it elsewhere.

LOGDOG

motohed

I guess there are more prospectives than what we see on tv . We personally gave up tv all togther last year we on occasion watch a movie , but no tv . I am sure they didn't do things as dangerously as was portrayed on the series .

Magicman

Looks like that cussin "river guy" is back..... :o

He surely wasted some good lumber by whacking that log so deeply with a CSM.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

567paloggger

I personally like the show i think its great. I cant wait to see the swamp logger he looks like he is gonna be a little nutty and do crazy things does anyone know what chainsaws the crews are using and why

timberfaller390

I actually would prefer them to just leave all the cencorship out of it, IF they aren't going to clean up thier language. I would rather hear all the swearing than all the anoying little bleeps. they bleeped everything in the DVD's too. Don't get me wrong I would prefer them to not use so much profanity but it doesn't bother me, then again I have a pretty colorful vocabulary when not in mixed company.  :D  It seems like alot of people don't like the show because of the language but it is cencored so you don't have to hear the "F" word every 3 seconds but you can usally figure out what they are saying.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

mrnero

Quote from: Jeff on January 10, 2010, 10:07:13 AM
...............I know comments like " Logdog's " are..........
Never heard of "Logdogs" phrase before.  Thats a new one on me. I think they are somewhat more respected in this regions and are refered to as lumberjack's. I think if someone used that phrase to the wrong person, you will be calling the emt's when you wake up. :D :D

Quote from: LOGDOG on January 10, 2010, 09:47:03 AM
..... his son Jessie, Jimmy (the dad) from S&S Aqua logging,.... they all need a bar of soap in their mouth. There's nothing "professional" about conducting yourself in that manner in the workplace.

LOGDOG

You are right, except when its a ( two boss operation) e.g.; father and son team working together. :D :D :D :D :D

D*m; I'm getting better on posting  :o :o :o  couple of more years, I should be even better on posting.  ;D

Jeff

QuoteI'm getting better on posting  Shocked Shocked Shocked  couple of more years, I should be even better on posting.

Only think wrong is that you mis-understood the point that I was talking about LOGDOG's Post, not calling anyone \Logdog other then Logdog. ;)

mrnero

Quote from: Jeff on January 10, 2010, 06:26:13 PM
Quoteis that you mis-understood ...............

Oops!!!!  Sorry about that. My mistake.

Jeff

Actually Two things.  They don't like to be called Lumberjacks either. They are Loggers. That was actually addressed in one of the old episodes, and it seems to me the answer was something like, we don't have a blue ox.

Warbird

I wonder if they get Buynan's?  Or is that bunions?  ;D  To clarify my comment about the negative things I have said bout the show in the past:  I can't stand fake drama and that sort of thing.  They do the same thing on Orange County Choppers and other shows I used to watch.  Note the term, "used to".  Show me logging and the industry.  Leave the soap opera at home or you lose a viewer.  It is plain and simple.

I am sure there are some great guys on the show.  I do not blame them for the show sucking.

*edit* By the way, what is it with folks messing up the quote function?

SwampDonkey

They don't like the word "lumberjack" around here neither. It's like a curse word, even though some (not all) are "jack legs". :D To be quite honest I didn't care for the show too much. I worked around and stayed in camp with a few and I never seen some of those performances where I worked or they would be singing good bye. I never cut timber with them, but was involved in the whole layout process from scouting the timber, marking falling corners, cruising it, deflection lines for road layout, gully assessments to determine if there was risk of slides, even a few creek assessments and traverses. Some blocks they cut everything to the ground before a stick was yarded. Everything was yarded to roadside, limbs and all. Blocks clean. Piles of waste burnt. Roads deactivated if nothing was to be developed beyond or on temporary basis. Water bars on every road that climbed them hills.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!