iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the wood?

Started by Woodwalker, January 08, 2010, 11:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

I don't have any pictures of this tree which was growing on my place several years ago. Something killed it, may have been a large Rattan vine that had it wrapped up. It stood dead for some time and had a good bit of spalt when I milled it about five or six years ago. Got around to making some simple boxes out of part of it for Christmas. Thought ya'll might want to figure out what kind of wood it is.
Here is a box with Waterlox finish.

Bark and spalt

Again

grain

more

Unfinshed box lid

Guess I better go look up something in Latin;
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Tom

I'm leaning toward Hickory.

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Woodwalker

Strighten back up Tom, not Hickory.
The color is pretty close in first picture, Fluorescents washed the color out of the rest of the pictures.
Not Pecan either.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Woodwalker

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DouginUtah

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Aroostooksawyer

Woodwalker

Not Apple, Sickymoore or Sweetgum.
The tree is common to a good part of the country, but not something I've seen anyone use (course, I don't get out much either).

WDH

If it is notsweetgum (there ya go, Doug  ;D), then how about blackgum?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

WDH

Quote from: LeeB on January 09, 2010, 09:49:05 AM
Willow

!!!!!!!  Why did I not think about willow!?   It definitely has willow-like tendencies  :)

Woodwalker

Neither Willow or Black Gum.
I sometimes try to use out of the ordinary material, spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to turn a pen out of Bull Nettle root. Hasn't worked yet, kind of like working with paper machace (sp).
The "log" this wood came from didn't have a DBH, more like a DKH (D Knee H) of about 5-6 inches.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

HOOF-ER

muhlberry?  Just guessing.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

metalspinner

Flowering Dogwood.

Although those pieces look kind of large for it to be that.  Is the top glued up?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

LeeB

Woodwalker

Not Sumac, Dogwood or Mullberry either.
Think thickets, laxative.....................
No glue up, solid piece.

blue mtn

Looks like my favorite, cherry.

SwampDonkey

sassafras or some kind of locust?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Banjo picker

I think you are trying to throw us off with the bark....I say persimmon....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

woodsteach

Laxitive= caster oil= caster bean= ??castor tree??? ;D
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Warbird

I wouldd need to see more of the bark but that one picture almost looks like pine?  The other grain pictures do not look like pine though, so I am stumped.  Still, that is my guess.

DanG

Due to the "laxative" hint, I'm gonna agree with Woodsteach and say Castor Bean Plant.  Before that, I was leaning toward Chinaberry, but don't know if you have that there. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warbird

Okay, after a bunch of searching around (I'd missed the laxative hint), I think it might be Cascara/Bearberry.  Hard to find good pictures online and I've never personally seen it.

tomsteve

well, after ya said laxative and thicket i was thinkin flax, but not even close. i wood say it is from the bark covered, green leafed family of wooden things that grow. ::)

Left Coast Chris

Hmm..... thicket

Cottonwood?

Slippery Elm?

Mimosa?

Darn.....Where is Bear Gryles when you need him........
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Brad_bb

My wild guess- Plum tree.  Plum-prune, righ?  Natural laxative.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Texas Ranger

I go with Danny, Ilex vomitoria
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodwalker

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 09, 2010, 10:19:09 PM
My wild guess- Plum tree.  Plum-prune, righ?  Natural laxative.
Hey!! We got a winner!!!   Prunus americana, Common Name American plum; Wild plum.
Don't know just how old it was, but at least 40 years that I can remember. Pretty wood, works good and this has a heavy spalt. Just wasn't very much of it.

Brad_bb

Wow! I feel so honored I got it!  Actually, I have two mini plum trees in my yard.  Last year I had a branch about 3 inches in diameter, but short that died off and I trimmed it off.  I cut it open to see what it looked like and was not all that different from the unfinished pics you posted.  The bark was in the range of what is on my trees.  The spalting was familiar, but what really clinched it for my was all the inclusions(for lack of a better word).  These trees like to throw out a lot of new branches and suckers, which may account for all the inclusions you see in some of your photos.   What was the diameter of the log you cut up?  Mine are rather short and not straight.

Brad_bb

I don't get how "thicket" relates.

SwampDonkey

Grows in thickets. Canada plum grows in thickets I know. Thorny thickets. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodwalker

Brad, The "log" all four to five foot of it didn't have a DBH, more like a DKH (D Knee H) of about 5-6 inches. The thing was just a big overgrown bush.

SwampDonkey

I've seen Staghorn sumac used, it's a lot like butternut and soft to.

Thank You Sponsors!