iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New [to me] LT40Super D40

Started by jtmccallum, January 08, 2010, 10:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtmccallum

After years of wishing I finally bought a sawmill.  8)  I'd like to thank members here for there help. :P  It is a one owner '97 LT40 Super D40 manual mill.  I am going through it now, belts, bearings, filters, etc.  Looking at maybe adding hydraulics next winter.  I will keep everyone posted on my progress,  prolly even have question or two. ;)

John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

WDH

8) 8) 8)

JT,

Your camera broke ??? ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jtmccallum

Looks like I better learn how to post pics. :D
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

D Hagens

While we wait for the pics to crawl their way here :D I have a question, what does the D40 stand for?

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

LeeB

Quote from: jtmccallum on January 08, 2010, 10:45:16 PM
After years of wishing I finally bought a sawmill.  8)  I'd like to thank members here for there help. :P  It is a one owner '97 LT40 Super D40 manual mill.  I am going through it now, belts, bearings, filters, etc.  Looking at maybe adding hydraulics next winter.  I will keep everyone posted on my progress,  prolly even have question or two. ;)

I thought the supers already had hydraulics?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

That's kinda what I thought, Lee! 

I always thought that the Supers had everything!  smiley_headscratch
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

I think it's an option and they built a few "Amish" Supers.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

I always like to know,what's the plan for the sawmill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Quote from: jtmccallum on January 08, 2010, 11:07:29 PM
Looks like I better learn how to post pics. :D

You are on a roll now, breaking new ground, so you might as well go for it all  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

Quote from: thecfarm on January 09, 2010, 09:17:57 AM

to cut lumber...  :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jtmccallum

Quote from: zopi on January 09, 2010, 11:49:21 AM
Quote from: thecfarm on January 09, 2010, 09:17:57 AM

to cut lumber...  :D
What Zopi said. :D

Apparently this is some sorta Amish/3rd world type of mill.  Previous owner bought it this way.  Found it on Craig's List, 50 miles from home.  Have'nt used it yet and already getting small jobs lined up from neighbors. :)  Told to wait and see if I'm any good at it. :D

Tom

with this kind of excitement, you'll be good at it.  :P :)

Just don't get in a hurry, Don't make it too much work and always be fair and positive minded.  You'll do good.  :)

UCUT2

smiley_clapping Congratulations on  the mill. Running your own mill can be quite a  rewarding experience.Good Luck!

thecfarm

Just wanted to know if you was going to saw your own logs,buy logs,saw for others,just saw a few out buildings and than resell it or?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jtmccallum

Sorry, Zopi led me into that one. ;)  Right now I have a whack of pine and spruce that a co-worker gave to me.  I have some white oak, red oak, soft maple, ash, and cottonwood on my own land.  I am in the process of removing some mature red maples and will take a 2nd. look at them.  Maybe get some spalted or character wood.  A small tool shed of my sisters needs some repair.  2 or 3 hay wagons to build, saw shed, kiln chamber.  Outbuildings, trim, flooring,etc. for house.  Not in any particular order.  I'll run out of energy and time before I run out of logs.  I plan on keeping the mill.  Oh Yeah, I need to build wood duck boxes by spring. ;D    And then theres more red pine from the same co-worker this summer...... Man, what did get myself into.  Good thing sawing is addictive.

Bibbyman

For sure with a manual mill you need to get an array of the great LogRite cant hooks.  At least one long one and I'd recomend a "mill special",  I use the 30" mill special the most.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

First, Congratulations on the "new" mill.   8)  I love the idea of practicing/learning with your own logs.  I did it.  That allows you to really screw up, and not have a paying customer mad about seeing his logs messed up...... :D

My advice, take the manual, read it, and go through and understand the adjustments.  Don't be hesitant to ask questions on here.  Someone will have the answer.

Again...... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Quote from: jtmccallum on January 09, 2010, 09:34:46 PM
Oh Yeah, I need to build wood duck boxes by spring.

Eat the elephant one bite at a time and start with the wood duck boxes  :D :D.  By the Pig Roast, you should have a big whack of lumber sawn  8).

Thank You Sponsors!