iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building an arctic snow sled. Steam bending

Started by SwampDonkey, January 07, 2010, 11:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Ok, here is the first ski to go into the steam chest to be cooked for bending. Look how shiny it is in there.  ;D

Now, working on the ski former.

Clamped up and drying and setting, with a little modification to the former.  ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

Don K

I watched Norm Abram build a steam chest on a show and he bent some wood to incredible angles to build a hatrack. Swampdonkey, you are one ingenious fella.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Warbird

That looks awesome.  Looking forward to seeing the final product. 

SwampDonkey

Yeah, if the test piece is any indication, it only took 24 hours to set as if it had always grown that way. There was very little reflex to it. I bent the ski an extra 2" to account for a little flex, which is actually good because there will be weight on the skis if loaded with gear. I'm hoping for a sled with load capacity of at least 350 lbs including myself. A sled makes a nice bed you know if out in the bush winter camping. Not that I'll be doing any of that, but never know. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Nice job Donk  8)  8)  8)

I also like that Jig.

The ones I build never look that nice...or work that well   :D  :D   :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

Donk
Good project. Nice steaming idea.
I see a band saw in the background, and you could rip that blank once or twice from the tip down through the bend location and put less stress on the wood in bending. Glue it before bending (or after bending when it dries).
Have seen water skis and snow boards fashined that way.  Only suggest if the solid blanks don't work out well for you.

Like this line on your pic here

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Yes, I've seen that suggestion in my Wood Worker's Manual to. So far so good.  :)

moonhill

SD, your shop reminds me of my Dads shop, he always used his table saw as a work bench too. 

I built a square box once where the sides were one piece of wood the only joint was in one corner and it was pegged.  Angled cuts at the corners not all the way through and put it in the steam box then bent it around the base.   

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

SwampDonkey

First ski off the press. ;D A little marring on one edge from fiddling with a couple form corner edge pieces I had to take off and the edge rubbed along a couple bolts. Had to twist it some to get around the last mold which caused a sizable sliver on the same side, bottom corner edge. I'm going to look it over a bit closer, I think I can glue the sliver up. It's on the face which will have a Teflon shoe so will probably be fine. In all, the ski set exactly to the 16" rise I wanted and looks square as can be. A little modification that I made in the former will allow me to bend the next ski without having to twist it over the last corner edge. Learn as you go. ;D

Warbird

I do not understand the twisting you say you had to do, nor the modification that fixed it.  Can you be more specific?

This is a pretty cool project.  I have a couple of friends I will be pointing to here and some of may try to build something similar to what you are doing.  Thanks a lot for sharing!

beenthere

SD
Did you select that blank in the pic because it had the steep slope to the grain for the bending process, or just what was available? Or for the nice figure in the grain?

Keeping the grain running straight in the piece seems should give you the best results without the splintering along an edge. Split or riven blanks might be the way to go if this gives much trouble. Even tho you might get by during the bending with no splits, the ski in use might fail due to the weakness from steep slope of grain.  Just a thought.
You are braver than I.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I'll Show you tomorrow Warbird when my second piece goes on the former. Basically in the picture with the ski in the former the two pairs closest to the camera view had to be modified by removing the pair seen with just lag bolts standing and the one half of the pair in the closest pair. To be able to bend the piece around I had to lift the far end (the straight end) up to clear the lag bolts remaining behind and the last remaining half of the closest pair where one set of lags is standing. Everything was clamped down to the table so there was no quick removal of them bolts. I'm just going to leave the halves on the inside of the curve attached and clamp the ski.

Beenthere it was just fine bending, it was the twist by lifting up on the end of the ski that caused a sliver to break at the twist on a corner. Other than that the grain on the bottom side is straight if i recall. Once it set the ski was solid as any 3" piece of ash. Can't expect to get it right all the time, even with a perfect straight piece through and through.  To think so is not wise. ;)

SwampDonkey

Sled ski number two taken out of the chest, bent and clamped to set.   8) On a roll. This time, perfect. Didn't have to twist it to get around the former closest to camera this time. Didn't hear as much as a squeak. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Hope it works  ::) ;D 8)  Sure doesn't look like an ideal piece of wood to bend that far ???  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Left Coast Chris

SD,

Good work there! 8)     Did you purposely use flat sawn ash rather than quarter sawn and what drove the selection of ash as your wood type?

Hey,  also,  did'nt you know that we are in the midst of global warming?  :)   
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 09, 2010, 04:26:30 PM

Hope it works  ::) ;D 8)  Sure doesn't look like an ideal piece of wood to bend that far ???  8)

Hey, it's ash it ain't oak. ;D When you look on the edge of the skis it looks like 25 layers of veneer sandwiched together. It was also the natural bend of the wood, it was bowed up slightly. So what say yee? ;)

Never know 'til ya try.  :)

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on January 09, 2010, 04:46:51 PM
Did you purposely use flat sawn ash rather than quarter sawn and what drove the selection of ash as your wood type?

I've got no quartered ash, so a fella just worked with what he has.  8) Besides ash is the traditional bent wood in these parts. I've never seen oak snow shoes or potato baskets before. Although, I know they were hand split green. Natives up here used black ash fresh cut and pounded to loosen the fibres. Never steam bent nothing. I've seen them do it a good many times. Black ash has higher moisture content than white.

It's gotta get a lot warmer than this, but I'll say it's about 50 degrees warmer this January than it was last year. That was ungodly cold. :D

I've got to steam bend some cross members now for the bed of the sled.

Fla._Deadheader

I'm just eyeballin that Cathedral design, from 4000 miles away ???  Whadda I know ???

All recommendations here and otherwise, stated for Parallel grain. That just doesn't look parallel to me, from this distance.  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D :) :) :)

NOW, if it DOES split, later on, you gonna fess up ???  ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 09, 2010, 06:40:16 PM
That just doesn't look parallel to me, from this distance.  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D :) :) :)

NOW, if it DOES split, later on, you gonna fess up ???  ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Your looking at the wrong angle, tilt the telescope a little to one side. :D :D

Well, if it checks, that don't count. ;)

And if it does, I'll just replace it with a new one..... In 10 or 20 years when the sled is warn out anyway. :D

Besides straight grain doesn't mean it has to be quartered. It means no knots and defects or crazy figure going on. Laminated bending would be quartered though, but your growth rings go across the width of the strips when you sandwich them. I've cut thin strips like that on the table saw and I can bend 1/16" ash at a multitude of angles without steaming.

beenthere

I'm with FDH on the cathedrals (that crazy figure, if you will).   ;)

That was my question ( concern) with the grain (annual ring run-out) that shows in the first one shown too. But if you can get by without failure, even though it is weaker than straight grain, that is great. No complaints here.  :)

Good on the steam bending technique.
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

I don't call it crazy figure I just call it a shorter/narrower layer of the sandwich, the grain is straight, no defect.  ;D Plus keep in mind this is slow grown wood, tight rings. So those 2 or 3 rings in 25 don't mean too much. ;D  What would be of more concern is having one half of the board being more quarter than flat. That would be where it fails in my mind.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

beenthere

SD
We'll play the music soft and slow for you.  ;D

That first pic of the bent ski doesn't tell you that it was from a log that had a lot of sweep?  The grain in that piece is pretty short (a term used when it is steep and the rings come to the surface at a sharp angle). That is what I see when there is a short section that looks dark like heartwood, a short section of sapwood, and then back to heartwood. As well, the cathedrals show that steep grain.

Maybe the slow grown ash bends easier because it is lower density than fast grown ash. That could be a plus.

Regardless, I hope that you don't have any failures.  :)
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but there is no sharp angle. It's like me putting down on the floor a long runner to walk on and then placing on each end of the runner and oval mat. ;D

SwampDonkey

First ski on bend

Second on bend

Probably more like 12 rings, this isn't 1" stock, only 3/4". I do realize there is a bow effect across the width to the runner and mat scenario above. But not a strong bow. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!