iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidsteer Tires: Chains or Studs?

Started by Tom Sawyer, January 07, 2010, 09:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

I use my skidsteer to move snow and the tires are getting pretty bald which makes for some fun times when I get on a little slope ::)  I am trying to decide between a set of chains, or getting some of those screw-in studs.  Help me decide!  If anything is true about the FF, there are usually lots of opinions out there :D

Tom

woodsteach

Well, here is my 0.02 worth.  I use my skidsteer for everything around the place so I went with chains on the rear tires this year.  Most of the time I put them on the fronts as it is easier, but with all of the snow this year they went on the rear.  This set of chains was bought at the local hardware store and they are light weight car/truck chains. 

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

isawlogs

I would go with chains , at least these you can take off once summer comes around , they have better traction in mud too in the spring .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

How about new tires?
I know, not an option... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

york

studs in bald tires not good idea-new tires,better idea-new tires with ice chains,very good idea,,,,,where the heck can you get ice chains?????
Albert

isawlogs

I get mine from the car/truck parts store here .. ( for the pick-up )   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: york on January 07, 2010, 12:10:26 PM
studs in bald tires not good idea-new tires,better idea-new tires with ice chains,very good idea,,,,,where the heck can you get ice chains?????

I was kind of thinking that studs in the bald tires was not a good idea.  Ideally I would get a set of solid rubber tires, but at around $3500 for a set, chains are a bit more within my reach.  I can get chains from a couple of online sources, but I will check at the dealer where the skidsteer comes from first.  It is hard to find tire chains for passenger vehicles here in Southern Ontario, but in BC I can buy them at Canadian Tire stores.

Tom

isawlogs

What size tire you looking for to put the chains on . I can get you the CTC number here and you could get a store there to order . or if you have a NAPA close by , go and see them , if they dont carry the part(chains) I can get you that number here also .

Marcel

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for the offer Isawlogs.  If I can't get them through my local dealer I will take you up on the offer.

Tom

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

oakiemac

I plow with my skidsteer and was having the same problems with traction until I bought a set of over the tire steel tracks. What an incredible difference in traction and the ability to go into muddy places with out spinnng your tires. They are relatively easy to take on and off and cost about $1000. I started a thread about them a few years ago when I bought the set. I would highly recommend them in snow and or mudd.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ironwood

Personally, I would go w/ chains, your cheapest option. I would ask around. You may find the that for a skidloader that tire chains from a county sized dually truck, you would just have to cut down the length not the width.

I f you do go w/ tracks, I would be VERY brand specific, as some I have seen look more like skates than something that would get you more traction.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

oakiemac

The tracs I got are from Eel River steelworks and price was $780. They are just flat bars that wrap around the tires but the difference in traction is huge. Hard to describe the improvment. Draw back is that the machine will slide sideways down slopes if you are not careful.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ironwood

Okie,

if'in they're flat bars, can a guy just weld on some cleats?

I just dove into my "inventory" of BIG ole tire chains (10 ton truck kind) and made a set of chains for my "new to me" forklift. It is nice to just have somethings you need at arms length.   Snow is pretty deep here and the icing is about to start as temps are warming for the next few days. It is very unusal to have snow sticking around this long.  I was finally able to access some of my inventory, good thing gotta get some things moving. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

CLL

Had a set of grouser tracks(flat iron), absolutely great to get around in mud, BUT will slide on side hills and don't work great on ice. I had ice on the trailer one time and as I got to the sop of ramps they broke traction turned the skidsteer sideways, slid down the ramps and when it hit the ground turned over on its side. Great ride.
Too much work-not enough pay.

oakiemac

CLL, that is exactly what happened to a freind of mine just yesterday. I think he had to get a fresh set of drawers. ;D

They work good in snow, mud but you are right that ice is not so good. I think welding on some small cleats would definatley help.

Thank You Sponsors!