iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back in the cedars today

Started by Kevin, January 06, 2010, 08:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Great day to be in the woods dropping cedar trees.
I only had one that favoured the lay and the memory stick crapped out before I got it on the ground.
Anyway, this one took two wedges but it came down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSoz8nfK7w4

Magicman

Lot bigger cedars than we have.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kevin

You can see it set back just before I started setting the wedges.

fishpharmer

MM your right about our Lil Ole ERC. 

Kevin what kinda Cedar is that?  Nice video.  I watched it again after your mentioned the tree setting back, saw it once I knew what tree to look at ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Reminds me of a big dead ash tree that I felled poorly last Saturday.  I botched the job royally, so poorly in fact that I felt bad about it the rest of the day and was too embarrassed to tell anyone about it.

I thought about you and the other guys on the Forum that I have learned so much from and about how poorly I executed that job.  Heck, now I am confessing  :).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Heck Danny. We all have a few that didn't fall where we wanted. That is what makes the ones that do fall right bring a smile to your face. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thecfarm

I'm still on dial up.When I cut cedar,they hate to come down.Most times have to winch them down to the ground.the ones I cut are no bigger than  18 inches.Most of them are growing in a thick area and have no chance to get going to fall to the ground.The cedars I cut are too light to have any force to bring them down,the other tree limbs hold them up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I cut a big old Sweetgum last year that fell 180o from where I wanted it.  A breeze picked up, and I had not set my wedges.  Good thing that I always have 2 chainsaws.

Note to myself...always set those wedges as soon as the saw allows....before it sets back..... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kevin

These are white cedar.
The tops are all touching one another and will stand on the stump after they're cut.
I used my logrite to bring one down yesterday, I was happy to have it.
This one in the picture hit the lay but was too long for the clearing and the top became hung between two other cedars about twenty feet up.

Half the work is picking up the branches and stacking them off on the side of the clearing.
The deer will be in there feasting on them.

Kevin

This is the one that died on me, the memory ran out on my camera card and the video quits before the tree hits the dirt snow.
You can see the brush pile off to the right.
This one had a large root right under the hinge so that's what the boring was all about.
I'm trying to get a card now with more memory so this doesn't happen again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oju5WvBFf3A

timberjack240

dont feel bad if they dont go where you want them to .. i had one across the road few months back .. cpl weeks befroe that put a 35 in white oak in a corn field and   one time my uncle put a tree into a fancy strawbeery patch owned by a tree huggin lawyer  and to top the cake my pap was cuttin trees along a very untravled road mebe  2 cars a day. needed the skidder.. no skidder around so he decided to saw the hinge off let it flop back acroos the road.. he looked no cars .. sawed it off as the 30 in red oak started to tip he looked and here come the first car all day. perfect timing , sorta. the tree brought the car to an instant stop basiclly it fell rite over top and ungulfed the car and instantly flattened the tires. pregnant lady and 3 kids. no one was hurt luckily she wlked around for 3 hrs couldnt understand what happened or where that tree came from .. i sure wouldt wanna do that today.. needless to say my pap bought a new car and never got to drive it

Chuck White

We don't have very many cedars around here that would require a wedge to fell them where we want them to go!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kevin

WDH;
Everyone misses now and then.
The important thing is understanding what went wrong in order to prevent it from happening again.
Where people get into trouble is not understanding why it went wrong, they just assume it amounts to bad luck or good luck.

Engineer

I have never had a tree fall where I didn't want it to.

I have, however, changed my mind about the location as the tree was falling....

:D

submarinesailor

Quote from: Engineer on January 08, 2010, 01:12:55 PM

Hate to admit it......But,  BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D

Bruce

Magicman

I also need to adopt that ...."excuse".... :D

I had a big old SYP to spin on me and wedge the saw bar.  It then hung in another tree and really looked dangereous.  I  didn't have another saw, so I took the bar loose and called it a day.  I went back a few days later, to find the tree on the ground and the bar laying neatly across the stump.

When sawing now, I always have two bars/chains and generally two saws.

SwampDonkey

We have a few large stands of white cedar in my area to. They got hit hard by loggers over the past 20 years telling landowners they should be cut because they aren't worth much. Well I never did see any of those guys ever try to plant anything to replace them cedar. Cedar is where it grows because nothing else can do as well there. Most of our local cedar stands are composed of 80 % or more white cedar when mature. Also the bed rock is calcareous on those cedar sites. Most everything else dies out. I have counted rings over 200 years of growth in those stands. Most other areas around the province has the cedar mixed in the forest and any of the wetlands in those regions are more bogs than anything. Our cedar stands aren't bogs and the biggest real bog around me might be an acre or two, not counting beaver flooding, which ain't bogs. It's nice walking in an old cedar stand in the winter, like parkland. In the summer it can get a little muddy. ;)

Doing a fine job there Kevin. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Quote from: Engineer on January 08, 2010, 01:12:55 PM

:D

:o :o :o :o  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LOGDOG

Kevin,

Those are really nice cedars. What do cedar bolts and logs sell for up your way? When I lived in WI I had a heck of a time finding good white cedar that didn't have center rot. The cedar from MN and MI seemed to be larger and better quality.

LOGDOG

Kevin

I can't say, I'm not familiar with the market.
These logs are for myself and are probably costing way more than what I could buy them for less the fun I'm having.
No rot in anything I've cut so far.
I'll be back there tomorrow skidding them out, pictures to follow.

SwampDonkey

In the really old ones, we get pencil rot around here. But, 80 to 140 year old ones growing on good ground don't seem to have rot. Rail sized cedar always seems to be fine unless your down in the real low wet ground.  If cedar was fully utilized, that pencil rot wouldn't amount to beans. You could cut shingles and barrel staves around them places and have lots of recovered material to use. Everyone is looking for perfect, but don't want to pay for it.  I've seen some really nice cedar being moved off woodlots and most of the time the landowner was tickled pink if he only made the minimum off it and someone was glad to take it for far less than it's worth. ::) A good many times folks got stiffed by small operators that start up and fail just as quick. They always said around here that cedar mills were just about the riskiest venture to deal with in these parts.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cedarman

There are only 3 parts to a cedar mill operation. Procurement, manufacturing, marketing and sales.  Seems to be plenty of cedar.  All kinds of equipment to make boards, cants, T&G etc.  Looks like the third part is the killer.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

LOGDOG

Thanks Kevin.

It's hard to put a price on "the process of doing it yourself" -especially if you're going to use it in a structure that you plan to occupy for a long time or even pass on. Love that cedar. I always enjoyed spending time in the cedar swamps up north whether I was in there cutting it or hunting. I had to think that with you falling those cedars in all that snow, I bet the deer will be in there thick browsing the tops. I remember how they used to literally strip a top bare overnight. It would look like the tree had been dead. If you had a game camera it would be interesting to have you put it up facing the tops and get pictures of what comes in.  :)

LOGDOG

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Cedarman on January 09, 2010, 04:54:52 PM
There are only 3 parts to a cedar mill operation. Procurement, manufacturing, marketing and sales.  Seems to be plenty of cedar.  All kinds of equipment to make boards, cants, T&G etc.  Looks like the third part is the killer.

In this case a good many of them burnt to the ground. A good many of them you visit look like a fire trap about to ignite. Very messy operations, must be difficult to get rid of their waste or something. I don't think pulp mills will take it (sawdust) like they would from hardwood or spruce sawmills. Would be great for pellet mills though. Hardly any drying required.

nas

Was in some cedar myself this week.

A few logs

The post pile grows quickly

The woodlot after I was done.
Hopefully I will take some pics of the landing next week.  I think I will have to resort to a Quebecnewf sled and snowmobile to get the logs through the swamp.  It doesn't want to freeze solid enough to hold up my tractor.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!