iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feeling bad

Started by Jeff, October 01, 2003, 05:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I just got off the phone with what sounded like an older gentleman that called because he was given my name as a reference for building a website.

He said he just needs to have someone build the site and burn it on a c.d. (thats what they told him), send it in and they(stores online) will plug it into their store front so he can sell the 4 or 5 products that he has. They will do this for a fee. The gentleman went to a seminar where this outfit signed him up. Told him they would promote his website and set up his e-commerce solution for him. So far he paid to go to the seminar(he didn't mention that cost) they hooked him and he gave them another $3000 dollars. He was now ready to pay who knows how much to me to design a look.

I explained to him that I thought he was being taken advantage of. I tried to tell him what real costs were involved if he would have approached me to begin with. I then told him that I would rather not be a part of this as he was going to end up disappointed and I wanted no part of that.

I was brutally honest with the fellow about how I thought he was being taken. I feel bad for him, I feel bad that I even told him. I feel bad that I turned down work. I do feel good that I didn't take the opportunity to suck this guy dry even though I could have.  I wish him luck.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Yer a good man, Mr. Brokaw ;) :)
  Unfortunately, there is someone that will take him for a BIG ride. ::) ::)

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

I hope not. I tried to give him enough info to at least try to help him understand his options and maybe he will take the advice to cut his loses. Man, 3000 dollars for essentially nothing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

biziedizie

You did good Jeff and you get to sleep well :)

Steve

ElectricAl

Honesty is the best Policy ;)

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

ohsoloco

Glad you got the guy straightened out, Jeff...but it's still heartbreaking to know he already got taken for so much  :'(  When I worked at a local pharmacy they were a Western Union participant, and there was a woman that came in to send $50 to a psychic, cuz he told her all this great stuff would happen as soon as she did  :-/  He told her to waive ID, which meant that the person picking up the money didn't have to prove they were who they said they were.  The guy in charge tried to talk her out of it, but she insisted.  After the second time she sent money the guy called the Western Union "headquarters" to see if we could refuse to send her money cuz he didn't think it was right.  No more was sent, but some damage was done (I kinda knew this woman, and she couldn't really afford to send $50 for someone else to spend).  

Gus

Jeff,
Most often things happen for a reason. This gentleman was led to you because he was a good man in need of another good man with good advice that would get him off the merry-go-round he climbed on. Whatever lesson he was to learn he learned it. He'll be a better person for it.
You did the right thing, makes me glad to be in your aquaintance.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

shopteacher

Just like to say I'm proud to know you Jeff ( well somewhat, as weve never met as of yet).  You'll never go wrong trying to help someone else out who needs it.  That poor guy might someday be someone close to you and god willing they will happen upon a good man such as yourself. My hats off to ya.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

EZ

I love it when someone does a good deed for the day. Good job Jeff, proud of you dude.
EZ

pappy

what goes around comes around, a little bit of carma always comes around

that douche bag will get his!!!

You doin' the right thing.
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

isawlogs

Jeff I know where your coming from for not taking on the job...He should be thanking you for not taking his $$$$  I've passed up a few jobs where I knew that the persson would not come out ahead , I would rather not proceed with a job knowing this even though they would like to go ahead ...but for me the custimer has to come out with more then what he pays for (when I saw for them) If it cost 250$ for the sawing he or she has to have more then that in wood value or I won't do the job....

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

woodmills1

My walk in customer today only had three 8/4 x 10 he wanted cut down to 5/4.  i was at the end of a truck side run and out of gas.  He said i will go get some.  He left with my gas bucket and I continued to edge the trim boards from today.  As I was drievin out he was drivin in, I resized his boards and said lets let this wash you paid for and got the gas.  He still wanted to pay but i didn't let him. he will come back!!!
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dugsaws

You did the right thing Jeff, it is suprising how many people will take advantage of others especially older folks, I know there have been a lot of home invasions not far from where I live, people feeding on older folks.
Doug

Thank You Sponsors!