iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mercedes-Benz OM352 engine to power48" circle mill

Started by whiskers, January 05, 2010, 10:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskers

New guy here. looking for any thoughts re: using a om 352 mercedes diesel to power a 48" circle saw. The 300 ford 6 inline gas that we cobbled together years ago is about done for. thanks
many irons in the fire.........

jimparamedic

the power ranges would probly be different but I would give it a try nothing ventured nothing gained  should have more power than the old 300

whiskers

This is another shoestring budget project that began in '99 . We have the engine just need to adapt it.

bandmiller2

Whiskers what size and hp is that diesel, out of a truck or auto.The critical thing is what you have for a governor.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

whiskers

It's in a  25 k gvw truck. Mercedes Benz OM352 Engine (5.7 litres, 345 cubic inch) inline 6 cylinder 4 stroke motor.  (80 to 168 hp) this one is normally aspirated w/5 speed trans. so I'm thinking the lower end on hp. I need 1600 rpm for the current pulley set up (which I don't want to change.)
Haven't worked out the governor problem yet Suggestions welcome. The ford has a mechanical linkage (hand control) which works well enough to get by cutting salvage logs now and then. Yes, it is thirsty.
I have more time to enjoy the mill now and our supply of logs has improved so an upgrade seems right.

ladylake

I think most diesels have built in governors , sound to me like it should have plenty of snort.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jimparamedic

The gov. on most desiel eng. is to slow down the rpm not to speed up but there are several mills around here that use a hand throttle and bring the motor up against the gov when sawing and it works for then I use my ear as a gov. but would lik one to put on my power unit but to each his own

whiskers

Thats pretty much what i've been doing with the ford. the hand throttle works well enough for sawing small orders, a log or two. Where the concern lies is with saw heating and distorting with extending running. Have you had any heating problems?

ladylake

The governor on all of the diesel I've run including trucks, tractors and my mill will hold the engine at the RPM set by the throttle, when a load is applied it will give the engine more fuel to maintain that speed until the engine doesn't have enough power to hold the RPM   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

coastlogger

The governor is a non issue. Rudolph Diesel dicovered about a century ago that all Diesel engines need to be governed or they self destruct.. A diesel will stay at the governed rpm(more or less-there is something called droop that may bring it down a few rpm)so it will function dandy in this respect unless overloaded.
clgr
clgr

bandmiller2

Whiskers ,that diesel should be fine.1600 rpm is too slow for direct drive you should shift the trans. down to keep the engine RPM's in its best torque range.Basically there are two types of governors limiting speed,and variable speed.Tractors ,dozers,power units use a vaiable speed ,one that will hold whatever its set at.Most over the road and smaller truck engines use a limiting speed gov.it controls the max. RPM.Some trucks that run blowers or hydraulics ,or pumps use the variable speed gov.If you have[and probibly do] a limiting speed gov. you can set the max rpm down some and hold the throttle to high speed and it should hold the rpm's Frank C.

Dangerous_Dan

That's the same engine that is in a Unimog.  :D
Torque peak is 1600 rpm.
The Unimog has a gov built into the injection pump.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

bandmiller2

Thanks Dan,that must be a long stroke high torque engine most small truck engines run well over two thousand rpm's.That should hook up well to the existing pulleys.Frank C.

whiskers

That's all good news, thank you all. There's a goldmine of informaton among you and the price is hard to beat.
After tomorrows blizzard (around here flurries= blizzard) I'll get some measurements and shopping list started.

schmism

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 06, 2010, 09:18:43 PM
Whiskers ,that diesel should be fine.1600 rpm is too slow for direct drive you should shift the trans. down to keep the engine RPM's in its best torque range.

i dont know what diesels you drive but the big trucks ive ever drove top out at between 2k and 2200.  so 1600 is perfect range for direct drive for HP and torque.
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Dangerous_Dan

ladylake

Quote from: schmism on January 06, 2010, 10:38:34 PM
Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 06, 2010, 09:18:43 PM
Whiskers ,that diesel should be fine.1600 rpm is too slow for direct drive you should shift the trans. down to keep the engine RPM's in its best torque range.

i dont know what diesels you drive but the big trucks ive ever drove top out at between 2k and 2200.  so 1600 is perfect range for direct drive for HP and torque.

Yes all of the bigger trucks will have a max RPM of 1900 to 2200 and are geared to run around 1500 RPM  +  or -  a little down the road.  Some of the smaller trucks will turn around 2800 RPM  max and are geared to run at around 2300 RPM down the road. I don't think there are 2 different kind of governors, they all limit the high RPM and with the throttle can be set at what ever RPM you want. No matter what RPM you have them set at they will give the engine more fuel as a load is applied.   Steve

fishpharmer

whiskers, welcome to the forum.  We love pictures ;)

Dangerous Dan, what are the hp and torque specs on that Unimog engine?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

coastlogger

According to Wikepedia, Bandmiller is ,as usual,right (on the two types of governers). Learnt something! Thanks Frank.I think we all agree though, that the diesel will hold a governed rpm for a sawmill just fine.
clgr
clgr

ladylake

Quote from: coastlogger on January 07, 2010, 10:05:17 AM
According to Wikepedia, Bandmiller is ,as usual,right (on the two types of governers). Learnt something! Thanks Frank.I think we all agree though, that the diesel will hold a governed rpm for a sawmill just fine.
clgr

Maybe explain the 2 types and what they do different, all I see at Wikipedia  is mechanical or electronic with most newer engines being switched to electronic but they both give the engine more fuel when a load is applied from idle to full RPM's  and with a throttle can be set to run at any RPM you want.   Steve

whiskers

Some pilot error going on here with attaching pics. I'll be lucky to get this computer landed all in one piece. "Missed something obvious". she'll say.

whiskers

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 07, 2010, 05:35:22 AM
whiskers, welcome to the forum.  We love pictures ;)

Dangerous Dan, what are the hp and torque specs on that Unimog engine?

Not having any success loading pictures. Skills are minimal with this program and don't have time right now to figure it out.

coastlogger

Ladylake:This is where I found the info on governor types.

www.waybuilder.net/sweethaven/MechTech/Automotive01/defaultasp?unNum=4&modNum=5
or google "variable speed governor" and click on option tat has "waybuilder" in address.
sorry  it wasnt wikepedia I read it on....
clgr
clgr

Dangerous_Dan

What are the numbers on the engine?
Should be something like 353.902 or 352.919.
Unimog stock is 260 Nm which I think is 191 ft-lb @ 1600 rpm.
The highest output nonturbo OM352 is about 350 Nm, 258 ft-lb.
You can turn up the output by removing a cover on the injection pump and turning a screw.
Since your engine is out of a box truck it will have more power than the stock Mog engine.

Thank You Sponsors!