iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some pictures of the mill and finished product

Started by TimJr, January 05, 2010, 09:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimJr

Hello Everyone,

I have read, and read, and read, and definetely learned alot about milling wood. I have also learned that once the sawdust enters the veins, there's no stopping it! I enjoy seeing everyone else's operation so I figured I would post some of my own. Enjoy

My mill (15 hrs kohler, no bed extension, power feed). I went with the smaller mill maily as a hobby and to keep dad supplied with wood. His business has picked up so I'm staying busy.

Some cedar with a good size oak. I put the ole' woodmizer to the test with the oak.

Sometimes it's nice to see the product in final form.

This dresser is built out of sycamore, lined with cedar.

Live each day like it's your last. Your never promised tomorrow.

Dave Shepard

Wow! That dresser is awesome. Thanks for the pics. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Wow, one of you is making the other look.. :o..good.  Very nice.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

I can't put it no better than Magicman just did.  Great job on both of your parts!  I really like the desk in that last pic.  It's a real eye-grabber! 8)

Wherebouts in Florida are you?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

breederman

Together we got this !

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

ErikC

Quote from: Magicman on January 05, 2010, 09:56:03 PM
Wow, one of you is making the other look.. :o..good.  Very nice.... :)
+3

Quite a team you two are making. Beautiful furniture,  that corner desk really caught my eye. 8)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Chuck White

Nice lookin' mill Tim.  Tops it off when you see the beautiful "end-product"!

Nice job.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GF

Those are great looking pieces, nothing like seeing the end product that came all the way from a tree that you have milled.  Great job.

Gary

Planman1954

Dittos on the nice post. The grain of the sycamore chest is nice. I've not used that before in my own furniture making. Your dad does nice work....I noticed the dovetails joining the sides of the cabinet. Seeing your photos also reminds me of how nice it is to open a cedar chest and take in the aroma!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

WDH

You guys make a great team!  Being able to go from the forest to the finished piece is something that most woodworkers cannot do.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TimJr

Thanks for the replies. I have the mill a little southeast from Branford, Fl. and dads shop is just down the road.

Ernie

What a talented father/son team.  It's really nice to see.  Well done guys.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

brdmkr

Tim,

Great work!  It makes me want to dry my sycamore and get to work.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Coalsmoke

Very nice stuff, thank you for posting it. What does one of those Cedar chests sell for? They look great!
Visit Coalsmoke's website at www.coalsmoke.com

2008 Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 with Honda 20HP engine.
White 2-60 Field Boss > 65HP Tractor with loader.
Husky Chainsaws 353 and 395XPG heavily modified.
Loving wife who endorses all of the above :)

TimJr

Quote from: Coalsmoke on January 06, 2010, 02:19:16 PM
Very nice stuff, thank you for posting it. What does one of those Cedar chests sell for? They look great!

The size you see in the pictures go for $375. We build a variety of different sizes.

Quote from: brdmkr on January 06, 2010, 01:31:22 PM

Great work!  It makes me want to dry my sycamore and get to work.

I know what you mean about the sycamore. I wish I had some more that looked as good as that.

metalspinner

8) 8)

For funsies, stop by a furniture store one day and ask to see their collection of sycamore furniture. :D 

Better yet, ask the kids working at one of the home centers to see their sycamore lumber and watch the expressions on their face. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TimJr

Why is it that I don't see much sycamore? I mean, it's pretty lumber especially quarter sawn.

WDH

The grain is interlocked, making it difficult to dry without twist and warp.  It tends to gain moisture quicker than other woods that I have used, so it is harder to keep stable without moving once dry.  It has no rot resistance at all and is not particularly strong.  Unless q-sawn, the grain of the lumber is plain.  It is primarily used for pallets.

In a commercial furniture operation, they strive for repeatability and consistency, assembly-line like.  Sycamore just does not behave that way, and so the furniture manufacturers don't use it as a primary wood.  I have seen it used as a secondary wood.  I like it for drawer sides.

However, I think that the q-sawn wood is the most beautiful grain pattern in any North American wood.  It can be hard to work with, but I think that it is worth it.  That chest of yours is spectacular!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

Do Sycamore trees grow in pure stands like oaks or maples?  I've only seen it growing along wet areas that would add to the diffeculty of harvesting it.  These two factors would probably add to its scarcity in the market place.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

It is naturally a bottomland species which makes it less available for logging.  Also, it does not naturally grow in pure stands, sometimes only one or a few to the acre, so it is hard to acquire in quantity in full loads.

zopi

Very nice! I'm digging the desk with the live edge tops...

Isn't it wonderful to be able to take a tree no one wants and make something that cool with it...beast part of owning a mill.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

robnrob2

Your Furniture looks very, very nice.
I've got prolly more then a hundred BF of  Q-sawn Sycamore here in my shop, doesnt have advance spalting like in the photo's,, that is 4-sale along with the rest of my Hardwoods,, I milled it a year ago, and more or less decided I wouldnt cut anymore Syc, because of the grain problem,,, I have had three 4" slabs of it, that just recently sold, they were 16" to 22" wide and 8' long..because of the twist problem, I slabed them and decided life was easier if they go for mantles etc.

TimJr

I also left a couple of slabs just incase anybody wanted them. I cut some of the wood quarter sawn, but mostly not. I had some pretty good weight on it. It seems to have kept it fairly straight. I have about 700 BF.

Thank You Sponsors!