iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power Feeder (Jointer, Shaper & Table Saw)

Started by Wudman, January 04, 2010, 10:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

I've been looking at a power feeder for use on my shop tools (jointer) in particular.  I looked at the Grizzly website and about dropped from sticker shock.  I've thought about undertaking the pleasure of building one out of "readily available" materials on hand.  I thought that the motor and speed control from a treadmill would make a decent power unit.  Has anybody here tried such an adventure?  If you look through my stuff, you'll see that the pursuit is half of the pleasure.  Occasionally, things work too.  Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Bart May

Great Idea Wudman! I love Your resourcefulness. I do some wood working myself. I have found most people are willing to give You their old treadmill. I use a tread mill Motor on a 36" Attic fan. It works great with a 24V laptop power supply. I often thought of fitting that motor to my Grizzly lathe too. The only obstacle I can think of trying to modify a DC Treadmill Motor into a power feeder is mounting the rubber wheel or treads to the shaft. They have a reverse treads that mount to a 8" cast flywheel. I turned my motor on, a took a file to it until I ground the shaft down to my pulley's hole size. If You come up with a design let me know. I like to build one for my molding machine!   Bart/Virginia

Thank You Sponsors!