iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have been outdone in my own shop!

Started by Burlkraft, January 04, 2010, 09:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

Jill had some time this weekend.  She has had her eye on a burl I got from Corley5. It was a large maple burl, but it had lots of voids, bark inclusions and spault   8)  8)  8)

Here's some shots of her project.....

Here's the start using a spur drive to get a tennon cut for the chuck

Here's the Boss workin' away

Tennon is cut and it's ready to mount on the chuck

Starting to hollow the other side

The hollowing continues

Working on shaping the outside

The sandblasting has been done and it's back on the lathe for final cuts and clean up

Yup...She's pretty proud of this one!

Working the fine details

Here it is all oiled up and waiting for Jill to get back at it.

I'm so proud of her. She tackled a hunk of burl that most turners would shy away from.

I think she's better at it than me.

I taught her well!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Why not just 1 pain free day?

WDH

You did teach well!  That is awesome  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

QuoteI think she's better at it than me.
I do too. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Warbird

Wow.  Very impressive work!  Has she turned anything before or was this her first go at it?

Norm

metalspinner

Beautiful!

The bowl is nice, too. ;D

What kind of media do you use to blast the bark areas?  Do you mind sharing specifics?  Nozels, media, etc?  You have almost convinced me that I need a sand blasting setup.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

pineywoods

Wow, and chips in her hair  smiley_clapping. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

Quote from: metalspinner on January 04, 2010, 12:58:40 PM
What kind of media do you use to blast the bark areas?  Do you mind sharing specifics?  Nozels, media, etc?  You have almost convinced me that I need a sand blasting setup.

It depends on what I'm blasting.  On these bowls we just use silica sand. The maple takes it very well.

On the redwood natural edges I have used crushed corn cobs. The are a little softer on the wood. They leave

kind of a burnished sheen.

I'll get some pics of sandblasters. I have one on wheels and a small hand held one. Actually I have 2 small ones

but one is a piece of crap  ;D  ;D  ;D

The most important sandblasting accessory is a hood. Can't blast without one and can't see out of a cheap one  ::)  ::)

Patty

WAY TO GO JILL!!!   8)

The bowl is absolutely AWESOME !
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Well now, that turned out to be really nice.  :) She's probably ready to offer some advise now. ;D  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

I showed this thread to the lovely Kathy and she says, nice! 8) bowl, but it looks lika pizza................................... :o :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Reddog

Looks nice! :)

Next get her to turn a piece of that Elm so I can see what it looks like. ;D

beenthere

Jill does nice work.
Now maybe she will teach you a thing or two... 8) 8)
Are ya listenin?
;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DR_Buck

Nice bowl.  But I wouldn't recommend putting any soup in it.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dan_Shade

well, it is the time of year where folks go on a diet!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Reddog on January 04, 2010, 06:51:02 PM
Looks nice! :)

Next get her to turn a piece of that Elm so I can see what it looks like. ;D

I have some BIG blocks of that out there.....She'll get to them  ;D  ;D

I hope the boards I cut from that tree stay somewhat straight  ;D  ;D

woodsteach

WOW!

BK she is great, now since I'm a woodsteach, I notice some things,,, please have her keep that DanG sweatshirt pull cord tucked inside of the shirt, I don't want to hear about it catching in the lathe.

woods
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Fla._Deadheader

We make propellers outta our crooked boards.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dan_Shade

that'll joint right out, Fla._Deadheader
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DanG

You better look out Steve, or you may lose your toy! :o  On the upside though, it may keep her tied up enough for you to sneak out to the Rox for a Nastyburger. ;D 8) 8)  The bowl is looking great though.  It's gonna leak like crazy, but you can just tell folks it's a colander. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pasbuild

Jill must have nerves of steel  :o to turn that one, looks scary, turned out great.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

woodmills1

ok the shirt can be a prob but watch out for the hair a hangin down
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Warbird

Quote from: Jeff on January 04, 2010, 01:17:01 PM
Quote from: Warbird on January 04, 2010, 10:56:44 AM
Wow.  Very impressive work!  Has she turned anything before or was this her first go at it?

I can answer that. :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35316.0.html

LOL  I didn't know that is who had turned that plunger!  I imagine the bowl was a bit more challenging.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!