iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15 muffler

Started by Qweaver, January 03, 2010, 10:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

My LT15 has been a very dependable machine but the mufflers just don't last.  The last one broke loose at the point where the round pipe meets the muffler within a few weeks.  I see a lot of flexing in the mount as the motor runs and it just fatigues and breaks at the joint.  Is there a fix for this or maybe a heavy duty replacement?  The engine is a 15hp Kohler.
Thanks,
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

jimparamedic

try some black pipe and a 45 or a90  to relocate for a better location or a change over to put on a larger muffler

zopi

I just went in and welded the bloody thing back to thte pipe...then buttered it up with t little extra thickness..

90 bucks for the bloody thing...needs re-designed for that kind of dough..

If mine goes again I'll probably put a SuperTrapp on it...or maybe a Von Trapp... ;D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Qweaver

My cousin has a small engine shop and bought mine for $70 plus shipping.  Yeah...about $90.  His only suggestion was to get another new one.  I'm gonna make one if I can't find a better replacement.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Larry

I have a tractor that breaks em in the same place.  I brazed the joint and built it up some.  That seems to work...so far.  Braze all around the joint, even if it is only cracked in one spot.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bandmiller2

As suggested I would braze or torch weld that little sucker back togather and add a couple of gussets vibration is doing its dasterdly deed.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chris Burchfield

I have a Walker Zero turn with a 20 HP Kohler twin. Exhaust pipes are slip fitted into receivers for the muffler. The muffler itself is held to a brace thats mounted to the frame with hose clamps. The old muffler burned out last year. Walker/Kohler replacement was $136 + tax. I went to AutoZone, picked up an automotive muffler similar size for $19. plus tax. Having a welder, I modified the $19 to replace the $136. Took about an hour. I spent more time than that trying to find a replacement online.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

WDH

My 2001 vintage version has not had that problem.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Mine broke in a coupla places too. After pricing a new one, I got my brother to wire weld it up and it was doing fine last time I saw it on a truck headed to North Alabama. That muffler needs a brace due to the amount of vibration it has.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Don,

I bet that you do not miss the little LT15  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

At times I do. I would love to have kept it to edge on. It was much easier than the 40. You can not clamp one 3/4 board on the 40 without using a spacer. ::)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Edging on the mill is a pain any way that you look at it.

What has been the impact on your daily production?  You could be a case study for the conversion from manual to full hydraulic  :D.

customsawyer

Danny I thought I taught you how to edge? :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Notice I said "edge on the mill", not "edge on the edger"!  You ruint me with that edging on the edger business.  I am now officially spoiled  :D.

Don K

Danny, the more I cut the faster I am getting with less thinking involved. Just as with the 15 I will be sawing and a light bulb goes off in the head and I have figured out a simple shortcut. I am making more lumber with less muscle fatigue. Less tractor diesel too. I load 3 to 6 logs on the deck and park the FEL where I can load the slabs. Now I make one trip to the slab pile at the end of the day instead of between logs because I loaded the 15 with the tractor.

I am currently sawing out all the framing for my woodshop. All I lack cutting is my wall studs and my subfloor boards. I got 3 lighting strike pines to cut down and that should be enough to finish what I need and then some. One is a monster that will test my chainsaw and the mill. My wife said she wants to film that one come down. I need to start a thread to document the journey from the woods to the woodshop. My grandson might enjoy it one day.

Don

bandmiller2

Don do you have good luck with lightning struck pine any I' ve tried all seemed to be delaminated and not worth the effort,of course they wern't freash hit.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Don K

So far Frank, all that I have sawn has been ok. It tends to cause a hard streak in the wood as I guess it sets the sap. I have seen trees though that were busted up pretty good. Most of these hits didn't go all the way down the tree to the roots. Every one them had pine beetles. No chance of survival.  :-\

Don

Thank You Sponsors!