iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A pet, like a dead one

Started by biziedizie, September 30, 2003, 09:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

Oh man am I ever tired, been up most of lastnight watching my sons pet rat die :'( Razee rat died at 2 am and it kinda broke my heart as he's been a very cool pet :) He left and his friend the other rat Bubbles is very lonely :-[
  We've had this rat for a very long time and he's been there with us at show and tell at pre-school and many other places :)
  I called my kid tonight and explained things to him and he is a little upset and can't understand what's happened. He wanted to know where Razee rat went and I told him that he went to rat heaven.
  I'm not a church going kinda guy but I do believe that there is something out there and I do donate my services to the church that my parents go to. My grandfather was a priest and I do respect everyone for their beliefs.
  Devon asked me about heavan and I kinda explained to him about rat heaven and how there's lotsa cheese up there but in all reallity I don't have a clue as to how to explain about how we go from the ground all the way to heaven???
  It's late and I just finished the month end and I turned the phones off so that I can reflect about the times with our pet that died :)
  I buried Razee rat and made a very cool cross for him and did the name thing with Devon's sparkle paint :)

Why do these things happen ::) :'(

Steve

Percy

Its called life...sorry, dont mean to be harsh. Not to  belittle your rat dying but as I get older, more and more of my friends die.  It happens when our time is up. Razee's time happened. You should grieve, ....and accept that were all heading that way eventually and, well Razee has an advantage over us now cause he knows the road already ::)

Hope I helped a little.....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

EZ

When someone or something dies it's just a new beginning for them, a new life. Sorry about Razzie.
EZ

Haytrader

I am sorry about Razee also. I never had a rat for a pet but had a dog die once that liked to broke my heart. As I was the oldest child and the next one was a girl, me and Ditch (his name) had some SERIOUS talks. He always listened to me and gave incouraging licks when needed. I need that dog today as my dad goes under the knife at 7 CST. Would ya'all keep him in your thoughts this mornin? I would appreciate it.
Haytrader

Norm

It sure is tough to explain to your kids when they're little about life and death. It's important for them to learn the cycle of life. You did fine Biz, although the rat heaven was kind of funny.

Sorry to hear your dad is having surgery Haytrader, I'll keep you and him in my thoughts and prayers. Hope everything turns out ok.

RavioliKid

Steve,

Sorry to hear about Razee. My cat was kind of sick a couple days ago, and I was worried. We got Kitty for my mother during the last few months of her life, and I'm rather attached to her. Kitty feels like a tie to Mom for me.

And, Haytrader,

Prayers are going out for your father and you right this minute.
I hope he gets the results he's looking for with his surgery.

Peace, my friends.
RavioliKid

Fla._Deadheader

Diz, You asked one time about how to be a good parent(or something close), you are doing a fine job with your son. Sadness from death, is tough. Friends here are dropping like flies. Got one now that is losing his mind and wasting away.
  It does get better with time. That story was a fine way to explain it to him.
  Looks like Devon is doing a great job, keeping you in line  ;D  Way to go.

Haytrader, thoughts and prayers are in our hearts for your Dad. Good Luck. Hope all goes very well.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ohsoloco

Haytrader, your dad will do fine...we're all thinking of him.

Steve, I know it would be hard to explain what happened to Razee, or where any of us go, so I would try to focus on all the fond memories of him.  A few years ago a friend of mine was killed in a car accident.  That was so unexpected, and I really didn't quite know how to take the whole thing...he was in his early thirties  :'(    Every time I was together with mutual friends and Paul would come into conversation, we would always be smiling by the end of the conversation because we'd be talking about how great of a guy he was, and how much he always made us laugh.  I know it sounds kinda strange...but focusing on how special of a person he was, and how much he meant to us, somehow made it....well, not hurt so much.  

Sounds like you're doing a DanG fine job, Steve  :)

biziedizie

Thanks for the nice words guys :) I went to bed wayyy early lastnight and Devon called and asked if I was ok :) He also asked if we could replace Razee rat with a dog :D

Haytrader I hope everything goes fine and that your dad recovers well :)

Steve

biziedizie

K I had my son today and we did the school thing and after school I asked him what he wanted to do and he said that he just wanted to go home. So I'm like, sure ok buddy let's go home and kick the ball around or something.
  Well we get home and walk through the door and Devon just walks by the cage that once housed Razee rat but still has Bubbles in it and he didn't even blink an eye. He went straight for the vid games (which is odd) and he sat there and played games. I asked him if he was ok and he said that he was, in a very mellow tone.
  Well ok if he's fine then I'm gonna cook lunch and clean up the kitchen and let him do his thing as he's in his own world or something.
  5 mins later I look around and he's not there so I walk in my office and he's staring at the rat cage and tells me that Razee rat isn't there. So I tell him that Razee rat is buried on the perimeter of the deck and would you like to see his gravesite??? He kinda nonchanltly tells me that he doesn't want to just yet. K I'm fine with that but I'm still thinking to myself "Does he get what's happened???"
  About an hour later I'm in my own headspace getting *pithed off with all the noise of chainsaws and that continuous THUD GROUND SHAKE of trees coming down behind of us by the developers. I see that the back door is a-jar. My heart shudders and I head for the door and Devon isn't on the deck. I start to call him and no word, I shout louder and I hear him crying. I run down the short flight of stairs and around the corner and there he is crouched down in front of Razee rats grave crying.  
  He misses his friend pretty bad and he held his composser for so long and he let loose and I think that he had to cry to get it out of him.
  He asked about the cheese that Razee rat would eat in heaven and I told him that there were many kinds. He also asked how the rat would go from the ground and get to heaven and I think I did a very good job of explaining that.  
   There were many other things that we talked about as we sat there and I will never forget that moment.

Steve

EZ

Like FD said it will take time, but I feel it will be a short time because of the close relationship you have with your son. Good job Kid.  ;D
EZ

shopteacher

Sorry to hear about the pet Biz.  I got a small black cocker and I know if his time comes before mine, I'm sure going to miss him.  I always hate letting go.  Soud like your handling the situation great with Devon.

Haytrader, best of luck to your dad, know I'm pulling for him.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Gus

We've got this old dog. Her name is Ruth and she is 14. She was my oldest son's dog. He died 12 years ago, he was 15.  Ruth is all I've got left of him and when she goes it is going to be a sad day for the whole family. We lose an animal around here every so often, we have alot of them. It is always hard on the kids but they seem to heal quickly. It'll be a little different when old Ruth goes. She's been to the state fair twice with my #2 son, Silas. First time in the obedience class and last year in showmanship. Ruth is also his rabbit hunting partner.
It'll be tough for him and me.
Life goes on and so one cannot dwell on death forever. Life is lived with the living. But those who go before us are an integral part of who we are. So the perception of death is what one makes of it, I think.
 Thats just me.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Tom

There is a truckload of experience talking.  I can't help but say I'm sorry about your son, even though it has been 12 years.  Mourning is a needed, human emotion.  But, getting over things is how we continue life.  Well put Gus. :)

Frank_Pender

One of Carl Sandburgs poems comes to mind at times like these.  ...I am the grass, let me work...

Biz it is a pleasure to be a part of your needs at this time.  It takes a real man or woman to share that which you have shared about you and your son.  As someone indicated, you are doing a marvelous job being a father.  One of which is letting your son know you are there for him, no matter what.   You both are building memories in times like you have shared.  Thank you for Being there for Devon. ;D

Haytrader, you are also on my prayer list for you father.  :)  Today my list is much longer: mother-in-law is dieing right now, a friend who got me through the 3rd Degree and beyond, as well as a long time friend who went through a tragic vehicle accident.  Each is holding by a thread until the gate opens for them to enter.  We each have our time.  :-/ Some sooner, some later.  It is a challenging task that has been placed before each of us.   :P

The crew on this "side" is among the best, that is for sure.  Everyone here has a depth that glimmers brightly at times like this thank you all for that portion of yourself.
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

DanG Frank. Really sorry to hear of all the bad news on your end. Sometimes prayers are not enough, but, that is all we have to offer. Hang in, Frank.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Den Socling

"The crew on this "side" is among the best, that is for sure.  Everyone here has a depth that glimmers brightly at times like this thank you all for that portion of yourself."

Frank,
That's some good wording.
Den

but to lighten this up: Late one fall, my daughter's gerbil died, or so I thought. I buried it in the frozen turf and we went through the talks and grieving. A few days later, I read that gerbils can go into hibernation if the temperature drops - as it did.  :-[ :(

And Biz, I have cried when pets have died. not for the loss of the pet but the pain that it brought my loved ones.

David_c

sorry about your pet biz lost one of my hounds 4 years ago to a car and every time i go by there it still hurts and shes been dead longer than she lived.

biziedizie

Thanks for the words yet again guys :) Today was a new day and I felt good about things, something was different and I know what it was :) :)

K I need a dog, but not just any dog ;D It's gotta be a very, very lazy dog, like the kind that when you walk in the door you wonder if it's dead or sleeping :D

My fav dog is an Akita and me and the ex raised pure breds for years but they ain't a dog to have around kids or anyone that's new :o :o :o My last Akita was Cody Bear and she was the best dog that I ever had but she didn't like kids or anyone to tell ya the truth :o :o Great companion and guard dog but the whole kid thing didn't sit well with me. I had to put her down :'( Without going in to details if any of you guys buy an Akita remember it's for life as you can't give them away as they're one owner dogs.

Anyways I need a lazy dog 8) Any ideas???

Steve

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

David_c

Biz akitas are great dogs i have one now rocky 110# of big baby but definitly not lazy.

biziedizie

Hmmmm now that sounds like a cool dog 8) I've never had a small dog, ever.
  Susan raises poodles now as she has realized that the big dogs are not a good thing to have around kids. I think poodles make great footballs and I guess that's why she won't give me one :D :D :D :D :D
  Kinda like them wee-nee dogs, think I want a dog that looks small and goofy though 8)

Steve

Percy

Â K I need a dog, but not just any dog ;D It's gotta be a very, very lazy dog, like the kind that when you walk in the door you wonder if it's dead or sleeping :D

Â Anyways I need a lazy dog 8) Any ideas???

Â     Steve

Get a "Percy" dog. Whenever Im riding the wild sofa, the wife says "Get up Percy, you lazy old dog"
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ohsoloco

My 100# golden retriever is pretty lazy  ;D  Don't think most golden retrievers are lazy, but this one does a good job at it, and she's great with kids.  When some friends came to visit a few years ago one of them brought her 6 month old.  Sandy would sit right in front of the baby and let him put his hands all over her face, in her mouth, and whatever...she realized that this was a fragile little thing and needed to be "tolerated"  :D  After a while she was getting bored with all the touching (strange, from a dog that would like to be scratched 24-7  :D ) and she kinda put her head back and gave us all a  ::)   Very sweet dog, but she has her allergies...I'll take a Heinz 57 anyday  ;D

oldsaw

Life is fragile, but it is the interaction of people and animals as friends that make it all worthwhile.

We recently got a little Sheltie puppy.  Our old Sheltie is having hip problems, thyroid problems, and just getting old and cranky.  To everyone but me and my wife.  He's still pretty tolerant of the kids...ours...but we can't trust him too much around my 2 year old neice or the 3 year old neighbor girl who is my "buddy".  It just struck me when we got the puppy how having a dog is a pain in the butt, but not having one sucks even worse.

Then there are the people.  Lost a friend who was only 55.  Had a surprise birthday party for him in mid August, and put him in the ground not 30 days later.  

Hay, hope your dad does okay.  I'm like oil and water with mine.  We are a bit too much alike, but I will really miss him when he's gone.

Biz- how old is your kid?  Must still be pretty young.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

biziedizie

oldsaw my kid is 5 going on 6. Devon wants a nice mellow dog that's fun to be around and one that doesn't bite.
  Cody Bear the crazy Akita we had was the best mutt that I ever had and she was my best friend :)  She had a suspected thyroid problem and I spent 3 grand to have a vet fly out from California to come and look at her. I did everything that I could to keep her but when you see that look in a dogs eyes you know that ya gotta do something :(
  I sure do miss her and it took a very long time till I felt right about what I did :o

Steve

Norm

I know what ya mean Biz, the hardest thing I ever did was put down one of our labs that had gotten cancer. She was suffering terrible, I wouldn't have a stranger do it. Still tears me up to think about it.

oldsaw

One late fall morning, she couldn't get up after slipping on a patch of ice.

Knew then it was all over.  Hard though

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

David_c

biz i grew up with sheperds then when i was about 15 my parents decided they did'nt want a big dog anymore so we wound up with one of those small poddle was not happy but not 1 hour after we had it were sitting on back porch here comes this dobby up the road into our driveway and gigi ::)is of the steps and chased that dobby right back to where it came. i was impressed to say the lest well anyway wanted to find out more did research and find out they where actually hunting dogs untill someone decided to start turning them into show dogs. also several years ago a man ran the iditarod with poddles. akitas are great with kids mine is 5 now my youngest girl is 7. we did have one we had to get rid of though becuase could'nt trust him. i had a treeing walker (lucy) got here one month before my youngest was born well anyway lucy's laying on the couch and lily is just starting to stand i'm sitting in my chair reading and all of a sudden i hear whinning   look up hears lily pulling for all shes worth hand against couch other hand she has lucys eye lid stretched about 6" :D lucy just layed there and took it.  

Gus

David, that is to funny.
When Silas, #2 son, was little I caught him in the porch trying to feed old Ruth, the dog, a chunk of doug. fir bark from the firewood pile. He had her backed right up in the corner and was really giving her the business. I interceeded and for the life of me couldn't figure out why Ruth put up with that sort of thing. Maybe it was because he like to dine from the dog dish with her. ;D Used to catch him doing that too.

Gus

David_c

sdsaw  thanks i thought you guys would get a kick out of that i did.

Bro. Noble

Gus,

That reminds of an event that amused me when my daughter was about 4 years old.

Our feed hauler was a real character and was always pulling something on you or telling some big tale.  One hot day he came into the milk barn to get a drink of water.  He started to drink out of his hand so I told him to use the cup in the sink.  He looked at me with caution and I assured him that I used it to drink from (which was true).  He got a drink and was standing there visiting when my daughter came in the barn,  climed up on a soap buchet,  got our drinking cup,  went to the milk tank,  got a cup of milk and took it to her kittens that were waiting outside. :o  I roared with laughter when he got a real disgusted look on his face-------never did tell him the joke was on me too. ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

David_c

Gus

Kids and animals combined are sure a good recipe for laughter
Gus

Mark M

Hey Steve if ya like Akita's here is a miniature version - Mark's Shiba's

I wouldn't call them lazy but they are good with kids and very clean. Almost cat-like and pretty Dang'd independent.

Mark

OneWithWood

QuoteAlmost cat-like and pretty Dang'd independent.Mark's Shiba's

IMark

Too bad they don't catch squirrels :D :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Mark M

Hey! - I should teach them to climb trees like this fellow:
Flying Fox

Don P

You mean LAZY dogs  ::)
Jasper the black and tan showed up about 5 years ago...the gunshy coonhound  :D he's been a good sport travelling around the country and getting along with alot of people and situations. Lady, the shepard showed up this summer. When we decided to keep her we took her to be fixed. It took 4 vets staring into her to realize this wasn't her first time under the knife  :-/...she's under a year so the first time must have been very young and didn't leave a scar. Sure wish they would tattoo them or something, felt bad about putting her through that unnecessarily.
Both dogs are great company, my Mother in Law has really bonded with Lady. They used to have a shepard, so it was Lady's shoe-in   ::) :D. I think the strays appreciate their situation more than store bought dogs  :D

Thank You Sponsors!