iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas tree farm feedback

Started by ljmathias, January 03, 2010, 10:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljmathias

So, we're trying to figure out the most productive use of what land we have that is not already planted or in use.  Biggest money crop down here (at least for now) seems to be blueberries.  Also seems like Christmas trees would be a good possibility.  Searched the forum but didn't find much in the way of concrete suggestions and detailed input/feedback.  Here's a few questions I have, hoping that there may be some here in the south with experience to share- seems like most trees are grown up north and shipped south in Oct/Nov.  List of questions:

What are the best varieties to plant here?  Seems to depend on "taste" to some extent- what people think they want and that's hard to predict several years in advance.  Details needed: cost per seedling, fertilizer, bedding prep, weed control, care and upkeep till harvest, years till harvest...

How old do you sell at?  Seems like around 10 years up north but 5-7 down here, especially with good care and feeding.  Depends on size at sale, of course, and 6-8' seem to be most common, what people are used to...

Marketing options?  Online is increasing, with more sites listing all the tree farms that offer pick-and-cut trees.

Labor involved?  Seasonal trimming and when, what equipment used and costs, fertilizing, weed control, tree shapes and what-not...

Sidelines?  Like hay rides for the families when they come to buy, petting zoo, pumpkin patch (in season), local food offerings (boiled peanuts, cider, boiled okra- a real treat with a spoon!)?

Most important: can one man do this while running other things (sawmill, half-time employment, keeping up with the grandkids)?  I'm hoping two of my kids get involved- daughter and her young son (11 right now) plus my DIL who lives on the land with my son and two boys- she's done lots of nursery work and garden upkeep for others up in Maryland couple of years ago so she has lots of savy and good work ethic. 

Bottom line: could we make a living for a single mom and son plus supplement income for the other family?  How many trees in the ground to do this and on what rotation?  I don't plan on making anything for myself on this (except maybe tax deductions) as I'm mainly doing this to set things up for the future for the kids.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks all.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

bill m

Google ioka valley farm and contact them. They are here in Mass but might be able to give you  some info on growing trees.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Magicman

I don't know where the market is headed.  The folks selling trees this year here in Brookhaven didn't do so well.  They were stuck with a lot full of trees.    Last week they loaded them up and carried them to lakes to make fish mats.  That's some expensive mats.

There was not the first tree along my street for the trash people to pick up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

LJ, I have a neighbor who grows christmas trees. He's having a rough time of it, too many plastic trees. He also has a mill, norwood 2000. I grow blueberries, easy crop to grow but not much money there, picking is too labor intesive. Even U-pick is more trouble than it's worth.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ljmathias

Thanks for the fast responses.  Doesn't sound like a great way to go, blueberries or Christmas trees, but other than SYP and some hardwoods I want to plant, not too many options.  Land I have is too hilly and some not drained enough for annual crop farming.  Does grow trees fine though as long as you plant the right trees in the right locations....

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

If it was easy of simple.....everybody would be doing it, and then no one would make anything.

I rented my place out for five years to a neighbor who had cattle.  Five years later, the place was still the same.  I could have had five years of growth on a pine or oak plantation.  Who's to say.....

I've now planted what was open with SYP, Red, Shumard, and Swamp Chestnut Oaks, and am recovering what is grown up with sweetgums and honey locust.   Did I mention that I hate sweetgums and honey locust.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stonebroke

I think you might have mentioned it a time or two.

Stonebroke

KGNC

Lots of folks with Christmas Trees in our area, seems like more every year. You see them leaving in trailer loads or one strapped to every minivan head out of the mountains. It's certainly something that can be done as a sideline. Lots of pastures being turned into Christmas tree farms.
Some will just sell the entire crop to a buyer that cuts and takes them to market. Other will do a choose and cut, what doesn't sell they just trim for the next year.
At least here, there is some money to be made.

Rocky_Ranger

You'll get some "hits' from folks down south in the Christmas tree business; I was in it for about 13 years and loved it.  The first thing you must ask is are there any other CT farms around?  If not, you are on track to have some real fun.  It is a lot of work, here in the South you can trim up to three times per year.  But, you can sell trees in three years.  Doing a 'choose and cut" if ya don't sell them they just sit and grow another year.  Christmas trees make $ on size - the bigger the better.  Still, lots of work, and a heck of a lot of fun when you get on the school tours and make memories for the kiddos........
RETIRED!

Rocky_Ranger

Supper interruption.....  Anyway, Leyland Cypress and a whole host of Leyland cultivars to make things interesting, Virginia pine, loblolly - but ya got to be careful, not all lobs make a Christmas tree.  The ones that do can be colored real deep green and these things will fly off the stump.  Lots of potential for other species, and if it's different, you can charge more for it.  Find your local extension agent, then find you local (Mississippi) Christmas tree farm organization.  Lots to learn, lots of hard work, good money, but you will not ever have time for a traditional Christmas.  You will be busy from about the first week of November until Christmas eve. 
RETIRED!

ljmathias

Thanks, Rocky- bout what I'd figured on the hard work part, so that's a given.  I guess my concern would be this: if a tree doesn't sell, how big till it becomes too big to bother tending goes it won't ever sell?  And if business is bad, which trees to plant so that if they all end up going to maturity, will they make good lumber and posts?  Thing in the back of my mind is this: sure, it's rough times now and I pray we all learn to be frugal and live within our means, but in 3-4 years?  Economy should have picked up by then if it's ever going to, and even if people are frugal, they'll still want trees to decorate; maybe not as many, but maybe more wanting to go out and make the one they buy that much more special by finding it themselves and taking it home with them.  Could be wrong, but seems like it might be a reasonable bet, and probably a pretty safe one if all I get out of it in the end are more trees to harvest...

Any other input would be great- I'm all ears, or at least, all eyes reading the forum.   :D

Lj

Rocky_Ranger

Part of the success is selling the experience, the tree will just serve as a reminder.   Trees done right will bring back customers no matter what the economic times, don't expect to get rich on a few trees - the $ come in the quantities.  Sell wreaths, garlands, etc., make sure families can come out and participate.  Don't plan on posts or any other product than a Christmas tree, there are times when ya got to cut 'em down and start over.  Anything over 12' tall is about as high as I would go, maybe a few 14 footers for banks etc.  I paid $80 this year for a tree - ridiculous!  And, I didn't even get the joy of cutting it down.........  There are many theories on how many to plant and how to do your farm; do piece meal until the farm is planted (do a couple acres per year for 5 years), or plant it all in one year and replant when ya cut one down.  I done it by planting two or three acres per year for five years.  At 800 - 900 trees/acre that is a heck of a job in the middle of July in Arkansas for trimming the things.  Find a local tree association and ask lots of questions.........     
RETIRED!

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Christmas trees and maple syrup is all my cousin does for a living. His maple bush is small because most good hardwood ground around here is under plow. He plants 5 acres or so a year and interplants where the harvested trees came from. Trees are only around $25 up here, because many folks can just go to the woodlot and either keep a small bunch trimmed for their use or just take their chances. Trees grown on as row crops is a new thing. The traditional way was to harvest an area and trim the fir trees for sale, then move to another spot. Fir grows like weeds here, it's everywhere.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jasperfield

Contact the NC Christmas Tree Growers Assoc. They have a website.

We've grown Christmas trees since 1958. Mostly Frasier Fir, but some Colorado Blue Spruce also.

You'll not be able to grow these species down there because of temperature and elevation.

The variables associated with growing are many and most are expensive. Soil type is probably the most important factor affecting tree health and growth.

This is a crop that yields NO return for at least seven years, only expenses.

If you grow a warm-season variety you should be able to cycle through a crop in maybe five years...maybe. However I'd expect you may have more insect problems, a few more soil pathogens and/or problems with soil structure/type and maybe some drainage problems.

Contact the association mentioned herein above. They're the best in the country.

indiaxman1

Worked summer jobs in my youth trimming Christmas trees...three large lots.....using hedge clips..boss said to make em look like ice cream cones....15cents a tree....one of those farms survives and thrives...has wreaths, farm animals for kids..rocky ranger is right about return business..cater to the folks who see getting their trees as a Christmas tradition

Rocky_Ranger

I guar on tee (pronounced in Cajun voice), we lived two miles off the highway and three miles out of town.  There were so many turns and intersections you had to be lost to get there, but I "ushered" in about 2,000 school kids a year and believe me, those little folks could lead momma and daddy back with no problem.  We had llamas, wreaths, had the place decorated, gave each kid a coloring book, candy cane, sometimes a pine cone necklace, and even a loblolly pine to plant.  All weather roads for busses, porta potty for moms, etc. 

The farm is still there and for sale now, we sold it in 2001 and this year they had an estimated 2500 - 3500 trees ready to sell.  Wholesale (in 2001) was $10/tree, choose and cut was $25/tree - of course, nobody sold anything this year..........
RETIRED!

Thank You Sponsors!