iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where do you buy tools from?

Started by Brad_bb, January 02, 2010, 10:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm trying to make a list of the usual companies that wood workers buy tools and stuff from.
I use the Rockler catalog, and Hartville tool catalog.  Are there any other similar places that I should look up?  Thanks.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jasperfield

Highlandwoodworking.com

This is Highland Hardware in the Virginia Highlands section of Atlanta.

They've been in business for a long time and all they do is woodworking tools, supplies, finishes, texts, etc.

Brad_bb

I mean wood working tools and shop tools.  Obviously milling and such tools are amply represented on the left side of the screen.

SBOhio

Not sure if this is what you mean but I'd throw out,
Woodcraft.com
leevalley.com
toolcrib.com
and Amazon.com mainly for their user reviews.

Brad_bb

This is what I mean.  I know there are a bunch of internet general power tool suppliers out there, but I'm looking for companies with catalogs and that target wood workers.  Thanks.

Dave Shepard

I've used many of the above, as well as Lie-Neilsen, Tools for Working Wood, and The Japan Wood Worker.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LeeB

Grizzly has a pretty big selction of power tools for the woodworker.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jdtuttle

Check out your local lumber yard too. Not the big brand names stores, the small ma & pa yards. We have a small local yard & they have a great selection of tools they sell at close to cost. It's one way for them to compete with the big stores.  ;D
jim
Have a great day

Ironwood

FYI, many mail order catalogs are going the way of putting their own brands out. This is a way to "capture" more of the revenue stream. There must be a name for this business practice, I dont know it, but it is like vertical integration except that term was coined 20 years ago from a differing purpose, this is occuring even w/ your local box stores as well. The guy w/ the market is KING. The manufaturers are squeezed out of profitability (a Walmart practice) by the guys w/ the BIG markets and can "drive" there suppliers or threaten to just go elsewhere or make it themselves. Sometiimes classic quality brand names are bought for marketing purposes, think Rigid.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

LeeB

Speaking of Rigid, I wonder how long it will be before they start selling the helix head planer that they are now making for Steel City. I been using a Rigid for years and know one when I see it no matter what name they put on it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ironwood

I did not know that (dont pay too much attention).

In HD's defense Rigid electric tools have improved more than I thought they would. I even own one! They have a "sawsall" sytle saw that can be used one handed (the only thing like it on the market), I had a job I needed it for. A fairly innovative tool, which surprised me.

All these "cheaper" tools have been a bonus for home woodworkers. When I was growing up in the 1970-80's a nieghbor (pharmasist $) had a complete 1960's vintage hobbiest woodshop fully equipped w/ Rockwell. I thought my dream of a "shop" would never materialize due to cost of equipment. Mine has, and even more so due to my occupation, but thousands of people have been able to make their dreams reality through affordable equipment thanks to these manufacturers.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

LeeB

I don't know it for an absolute fact that it's made by Rigid, but just making it black instead of orange don't change it's looks enough not to convince me. I only saw a picture if it in oneof the recent wooworking rags. It sure ain't cheap either. Well over $600. Is the helix head worth that much more?

ljmathias

You just have to keep your eyes open and have a good idea what you get for the money.  A while back, when I was getting ready to deck the roof on the house I'm working on right now, I wanted a glue gun to put down wood adhesive on the joists- really makes a strong bond and keeps nails from working loose over time and temperature swings.  Was at the big box store and they had a special on Rigid portables if you bought the whole shebang- for several hundred bucks, got a drill, impact driver, sawsall (ain't worth a dime), small skillsaw (likewise), jigsaw (ditto) and wait for it: a powered contractor size glue gun, holds the big tubes of adhesive.  That one tool was worth the entire price of the package: I could brace myself with one hand while balancing on the rafters and lay a line of glue on each joist with one hand pulling a trigger.  Has a flow control switch too so you can use just what you need.  Absolute time saver, and kept my arm from cramping using one of the human-powered versions.  Not sure why the other companies don't offer one of these- I use mine all the time on decking, siding, stair treads, door jambs- more than all the other tools in the package combined.  Course, I also have a bunch of Dewalt drills and impact drivers that work so much better, it's hard to "drop down" to using the Rigid tools...  just my penny's worth.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Ironwood

Not all helix heads are created equal. Many "cheaper" ones are small diameter, and nearly always the inserts are "straight" in the head. The only skewed one I know of is Shelix. They are not cheap, but are made in custom diameters for ALL older machines. New machines can be specified Shelix. At one time even Grizzley would let you specify this, not sure they still do.

This is the sawsall I refered to. It is currently unavailable. It may or may not be back. I grabbed it because of the one hand design. $100 and easily paid for it'self in one job. Mine is corded, loks like they are crashing the cordless ones out cheap. I needed the corded.

http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-One-handed-Reciprocating-Sawzall-R3030/dp/B001LYMU98

Ironwood

Dave Shepard

If the inserts aren't in a helix pattern, how can they call it a helix head planer? ??? Lee, you have to watch out for Chinese ripoffs. They will copy a tool right down to the last detail. You'd swear it was a Snap-on (or whatever), even the little plastic tray is the same. I heard of a person on another forum who bought a knockoff plasma cutter "because you could tell it was the exact same as the name brand". Except they made all the copper contacts out of plastic, because it was cheaper. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JD350Cmark

I've been needing wanting a 12" sliding chopsaw for sometime.  Looked and looked and bought a Ridgid, $549 plus a rotton 10% sales tax.  This price included a free Ridgid stand, which in my opinion is every bit as good as the dewalt stand.  Have not used the saw yet.  The saw is heavy, so is the stand.  The saw is 70 something LBS and the Dewalt is 50 something LBS.

One feature that sold me is you can set the saw height (like a radial saw) and datto etc..  I tend to do this a a lot and do not always have the radial saw near by.

A bit off topic, my 2 cents.
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Ironwood

They still "helix" around the diameter of the head but are not ALSO skewed or angled.

Ironwood

tomsteve

well, now who i but from depends on what i am buying. i just purchaesed a PSI remote for my d.c thru amazon and got a great deal on it. i have a store near me dedicated to woodworking (The Tool Haus in gladwin, mi.) that i go to for bigger stuff. i bought a kreg k3 pocket hole jig system at menards 3 days ago and got a 15% discount on it. i buy tolls at lowes and h.d. too. itr all depends on what it is i am lookin to buy.

IMERC

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 02, 2010, 10:30:58 AM
This is what I mean.  I know there are a bunch of internet general power tool suppliers out there, but I'm looking for companies with catalogs and that target wood workers.  Thanks.

that would be http://www.leevalley.com/home/OnlineCatalogs.aspx?c=1
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

ljmathias

Ironwood: nice picture of your "sawsall" but he looks a little young to put to work on a full time basis.  ;D  ;D

So curious minds want to know: what is the lad standing next to?  Looks like a wall of branches standing next to a solid wall?  Interesting decor   ???

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Ironwood

That's a peeled Ironwood wall display into a chic resturant. The photo does it NO justice. The surface of the ironwood is reallly cool lit w/ can lights from above.

Ironwood

tomsteve

Quote from: ljmathias on January 04, 2010, 07:57:53 AM
Ironwood: nice picture of your "sawsall" but he looks a little young to put to work on a full time basis.  ;D  ;D

So curious minds want to know: what is the lad standing next to?  Looks like a wall of branches standing next to a solid wall?  Interesting decor   ???

Lj

they're never too young. i was puttin in a trans in my car when my son was 5. i was under the car boltin it up and my son comes out to the garage and crawls under the car and says " dad, i wanna help!!!" got a tear in my eyes. ended up  goin over and helpin him adjust the chain on his bicycle and adjustin the seat height. little bugger wouldnt let me help!!! brought a tear to my eyes.

Ironwood

He is my oldest, 7. We two more up and coming 2 and 3. Never a dull moment. 7 year old had run the Mig and Plasma cutter. We do some simple drill gun stuff and a hand crank bandsaw. HE has been with me in ALL sorts of stuff. FUN FUN upbringing for a kid.

Ironwood

Brad_bb

Dear hijackers, you're all sentenced to 10 days in Guantanamo.  There's plenty of room seeing as though we aren't putting real terrorists there anymore.

IMERC

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 05, 2010, 01:49:43 AM
Dear hijackers, you're all sentenced to 10 days in Guantanamo.  There's plenty of room seeing as though we aren't putting real terrorists there anymore.

water sports at no extra charge???
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Thank You Sponsors!