iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A duck, I think.

Started by Dave Shepard, January 01, 2010, 10:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Anyone else into woodcarving? I did this this afternoon. I've only got a few carving tools. It's about 3" long. I did this with a #1/12 chisel. I think next time I'll try a bigger duck. :D It's my first carving of any kind, so I am kind of happy with the results, although I was trying to carve a bear. ::) :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

IMERC

that would be a wood duck wouldn't it???
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

pigman

Dave, the duck is not so bad that you have turn the lights off before taking a picture. ;D  What kind of wood is that?
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Reddog

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 01, 2010, 10:24:02 PM
I was trying to carve a bear. ::) :D

Well try for a Duck next time and let us know shows up. ;D

IMERC

don't let them kid ya....

that is a fine chi.... er duck....

Dave Shepard

It's basswood. Seems to be the carvers preference. It carves really well, and leaves a nice shiny finish with sharp tools. I've got a bunch of 5/4 basswood, I might have to laminate some of it to make a bigger something for the next try. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

Try for a bigger bear and maybe you'll get a full-sized duck. :D :D

That's funny!  You should have never told us it started out as a bear! ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

IMERC

Dan....

Wouldn't you "duck" if a bear came along???

Tom

If that is the first, you're a hidden talent. Show us some more.  :)

ljmathias

nice- I like it just fine whether it was meant to be a duck or a bear; the two are related somewhere back in the genetic code so no problem either way.

I think a famous sculpter once said that the way to carve a bear is to "see" the bear in the wood or stone and throw away everything else.  Clearly you must had duck on the mind when you were trying to see the bear... and we all know what a bear does in the woods, now don't we?  Sorry, got a cold and on cold medicine: the old mind is making free association of the worst kind.  :-\

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Dave Shepard

I was just kidding about the bear, I do have a sarcastic streak. :D I started with a 2D duck Christmas ornament and sketched it onto the block of wood. The rest just sort of appeared. It's still just a rough carving. I may try to put some wings and feathers on it, just have to catch a duck. :D

If you look in the lower right, you should be able to just make out the pencil sketch of the duck. I used the ornament as my model. My only other carving to date is the very crude, and unfinished, attempt at a Guilloche moulding. For my next duck I'm going to glue up a few pieces of this basswood, so I can get a bigger duck. :)

Burlkraft

Looks like a duck to me Dave.

I've always wanted to carve a duck. I have some friends that carve and it takes a steady hand and a good eye, of which I have neither  ::)  ::)  ::)

Lookin' good Dave  8)  8)  8)

Keep us posted on yer progress
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ljmathias

Just be careful- you may remember the Monty Python movie, "Holy Grail:" if it floats on water like a duck, it's a witch!

Looks like a drawing of a bear to me...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Dave Shepard

I might try a relief carving next, but I think I need more tools. ;) DanG they're expensive. :o

DanG

Oh, so now you're trying to duck out of the bear thing, eh?  Well, it ain't gonna work!  Maybe if you try for another duck, it'll look like a weasel, then you can try to weasel out of the duck thing.  Then when you try to make a weasel, it might look like a rat in a corner. ;D :D :D

;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ljmathias

Ouch! DanG, no need to be so mean to the boy- what with all those animals running around in his head he's lucky he doesn't start quacking like a bear... :D :D :D

Lj

pigman

I don't think what we say will bother Dave. He did say that carving gave him relief.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!