iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to forum. Hello!

Started by ForestMan, January 01, 2010, 09:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestMan

Hi everyone.  I am new to this forum.  I plan on starting a part-time sawmill business.  I also want lumber for my own projects as well.  I hope to get the WM LT10 soon.  I want to use it to earn the money for a LT40 Super Hydraulic.  From there, I will be able to visit customers onsite.

I have tons of questions.  I guess this forum is a great place to be to get the answers.  It looks like there is lots of experience out there.

Once I make lumber from my own trees, how do I go about selling it?  A craigslist posting?

Thanks.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

customdave

Welcome Forestman, Pull up a stump & stay awhile , very knowlegable & helpful people on this forum. Mountains of info!! Hope you get your lt 10 soon, Play Safe!

Dave

Love the smell of sawdust

ForestMan

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the warm welcome. 

I have several mesquite logs ready for the mill.  I got the chainsaw out and now my whole body is sore.

I have a neighbor who cut down a bunch of mesquite on the fenceline I share with him.  He will let me keep all the logs I can get out of it.  I think I can get about 10 - 20 logs at least 6 feet long each, probably 8 - 14 inches in diameter.

I also had a large 12-14 inch hackberry that had fallen on my fenceline.  I cut that up into a good 3 logs today, again about 6 - 8 feet each.

I have a dead mesquite in the same area, but on my side of the fenceline.  I trimmed the limbs and cut a large 10 inch trunk off a double trunk.  The second I will cut tomorrow.  The base of it is probalby 14 inches.  I found a bed of scorpions when the first trunk fell.  There were at least 4 that I could see.  They were the small brown Texas scorpions.  I hear that the smaller a scorpion is, the more potent the poison in its stinger. 

Magicman

First,  Welcome to FF ForestMan.  Yes this is a good place to ask questions.

Sawing and marketing $40K worth of lumber isn't going to be as easy as asking questions.  Markets have to be developed, and it takes footwork and effort.  Is this going to be a sideline business, or is it supposed to pay your livings expenses also? 

I'm not trying to be negative, just saying that if it was simple.....everybody would be doing it.  There are many threads on here dealing with "start up" milling operations.  You could get some ideas from them.

Edit:  I went back and read your profile which answered some of my questions.  Marketing is still your biggest issue.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ForestMan

Hi Magicman,

This is meant to be a part-time venture, at least to start.  I want to get started and don't have the money for the model I want, so I thought I could earn my way there.  I know it will probably take a few years, but I'm in no hurry.  I really can use lumber right away for personal use as well.  There are always projects on a farm :)

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: ForestMan on January 01, 2010, 10:22:29 PM
I got the chainsaw out and now my whole body is sore.
I found a bed of scorpions when the first trunk fell. I hear that the smaller a scorpion is, the more potent the poison in its stinger. 
Well as long as you do not mind being sore, and living with the critters while making sawdust, "enjoy" I find I still do not have the board that I need for a project in one of the many stacks of lumber I have around, so I toss another log on the mill and make what I need, cant beat that with a stick. I want a double cut select but I think it may be a day or to before I work up to it. Keep the goal and work to it.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ed

Welcome to the forum ForestMan.

Ed

fstedy

Welcome
Craigslist works for selling lumber. Have sold a fair amount on there.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

RockyMountainSawyer

how many logs can you get and how much would you have to give for them, there are always pallet guys looking and buying alot of everything
Homemade Mobile Circle Mill, case 830 w/loader, 2-ton dodge w/ skyhook, 3/4 ton chevy duramax flatbed, stihl 460 magnum, and a brand new beautiful baby girl!

Don K

Welcome to the Forum, Forestman.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

bandmiller2

Forestguy,welcome,sort of genaric advice but I would first look for a used mill with hydraulics many times a used mill with the bells and whistles is not much more than a new manual mill.First consider your milling a hobby cut what you need get some experiance get known then branch out.If you can manufacture something with your lumber,say deer stands for example or tool houses.Horsey folks always need fences as well as farmers.Move into money making as you gain confidence and experiance.Get you name in the local newspaper, donate something to charitable originizations.Good luck Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

John_Haylow

Welcome to the forum ForestMan.

I have to agree with Frank on trying to find a good used hydraulic mill. This advice was suggested to me here a few years ago and I have not regretted following it one bit. I could not operate without the hydraulics. Good luck in  your new venture,

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

thecfarm

ForestMan,welcome to the forum. I have a manual mill. I bought it for my own use,not to sell lumber. I have sold many truck load of logs that I cut myself.Had a logger come in a few years ago to help out.Still have many trees to cut.I myself feel I make more money selling logs than lumber.Quicker and easier for me. A manual mill is SLOW.But if you have ALOT of time and don't mind the WORK that goes with it,than you are all set.Hard to sell lumber at times.Need to store it too.Maybe a year or more before it moves.If you cut 2x4x16 than they want 14's.There goes 2 feet gone. Or if you cut 10 footers than they want 12's.There are numbers out there that sound good,BUT you have to find the people with the money.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ForestMan

Buying a used hydraulic sounded good.  When I looked online, I found either junk or over $10,000.  That's way out of my price range right now.  I have to start smaller it seems.

Thanks for the tip though.

Coon

If it were me I would opt for the LT15 before I would the LT10 as it is quite a bit more of a mill for just a lil more. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

VictorH

Welcome Forest Man,

I wrestled with what mill to get,  after a lot of reading on this forum of how much difference the hydraulics make I began to look into used.  If you are not in a hurry and don't mind a road trip to pick it up you can find deals.  I got mine for $9000 with a sharpener and a setter.  Only 1300 hours and kept under cover.  Is in real good shape.  I missed out on a couple of units that went for $6000.  You have to move pretty quick when using C-list.  Good luck

Victor

ForestMan

I guess I should slow down and look for deals.  If I could get a good used Hydraulic, it would be worth the wait.  I just wanted to get started sooner.  Seems like my life is always "hurry up and wait".  But it may be worth it in the end, if I take my time and find a solid used mill.  I'm still aching from yesterday with the chainsaw.  The hydraulics would sure help with the manual labor.  Thanks for all your comments.  I have lots to think about now.

One question I have though.  Where do you look for used mills for that price ($6000) in terms of area of the country?  Where are most mills located?  I don't mind traveling to pick one up.  Thanks.

Tom

Now that folks here know that you are looking for a mill, you will probably get some PM's from time to time.

Keep an eye out in the "for sale" area of the commerce topic at the bottom of the forum.

We all go through that "I want it know" when we look at sawmill equipment.  You are in a society now where you can stay passified until the right deal comes along.  You might even find one where you can get an education about them first.  The woods, and the forum, is full of working mills and most welcome a spectator and some a helping hand.  :)

Welcome to the forum.

zopi

Welcome! What part of Tejas are you in, Red or Rio Grande? 

I've got to add to what these guys said above...I started out with a chainsaw mill..tat got old quick...was looking at several cheap options that these guys steered me away from,
LT-10 was one of them...I bought an LT-15 G15 new and have never regretted it a bit..If I had it to do over again knowing what I do now I would have spent that 8 grand on an older use LT-40 manual and added the Hydraulic loader arms as soon as I could,
Now. OTOH, I am holding out on a Hydraulic LT-40...

There are some god deals out there and they are always cropping up..

There is market out there..just have to find it...might be farmers, ranchers, hobby carpenters, the local woodworkers supply might consign some stuff for you...

I wish I had some of that mesquite...if nothing else you can make brisket or cabrito with the slabs...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ForestMan

I'm in the San Antonio area.  Man, our mesquite makes the best bbq I have ever tasted.  It truely is amazing stuff.

Actually, the LT15 was my first choice.  I'm still thinking about it, now that the trailer package is available.  It is still totally manual though.  But being able to haul it to job sites just got a lot easier.

zopi

You won't go wrong with an LT-15...if you are mobile though you might be better off to snap up one of the L-27-28-30 that are common in the used market..It takes a good bit of work to set up an LT-15...leveling them and truing the bed can take awhile...whereas it rakes 15 or 20 minutes with the portables...drop jacks unhook the hitch and level...the 15 involves bending over alot..<G>

I don't know about the best BBQ..but it is good BBQ..

I've got an Uncle in Big SPring...Makes the second best BBQ in the family...'snot what he says but hey...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

gizmodust

Hello and welcome ForestMan.  You're in the right place to get plenty of good advice and help.  I also started with a chainsaw mill I made myself.  I went with a manual mill for now to get started.  Maybe thickskulled, but personally think I could learn more that way.  I started a business, custom sawing, and sawed for myself.  Talked to a couple of woodworkers and also sawed at the Flywheelers for exposure ;) ;).  One thing lead to another and some wood started to be ordered.  Like Bandmiller2 says, a little charity work goes a long way.  I had an opportunity to band together with a couple of artisans to supply them with some special wood media.  We agreed on a lesser price for their wood in exchange for advertising on their products.  For me, this has proved to be advantagous.  Welcome and good luck 8) 8).  The best barbeque in the one you're eating now :D ;D :D 8)
Always liked wood with alot of character

zopi

Quote from: gizmodust on January 02, 2010, 04:23:26 PM
  The best barbeque in the one you're eating now :D ;D :D 8)

I dunno...I've had some lousy BBQ...

I agree, though, a manual mill is good to learn on...you really THINK before you move that log again...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ForestMan

Looks like I got my answer.  We need a fix on the tractor and one on the truck.  If I am going to get a mill, I will need to get the Woodmizer LT10.  No room in the budget for anything else.

Well, ok, now at least I know what I'll be able to get.  I can plan from there.  My mesquites will get sawn instead of rotting in the field.

Sometimes you just have to relish the small victories.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

This is really a great place to learn!  Also, to help others!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!