iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 257 tank vent

Started by Kevin, January 01, 2010, 08:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Where is it on the tank, near the top on the right side?
It looks like it on the ipl.

Rocky_J

I don't own a 257 but that's where the tank vent is located on every other Husky I've ever owned. Hard to get to it, I'm still not sure exactly how to remove the vent piece, but it's there. I have a 346 that I'm parting out and one of the deciding factors to junk it was that DanG tank vent spitting fuel all over me all the time. Maybe I'll take a hammer and chisel and figure out exactly how it is held in there.  ;D

Kevin

ehp

Alot of the vents have a white stone appearance cover that is on the out side of the vent , if you use a wood screw and screw it into the white part then pull on it , it will come out of the tank . under it most have a long plastic vent . In the winter in deep snow the white part is known to ice over and freeze so it blocks the air venting off so the saw runs out of fuel. It is worse in deep wet snow than colder dry snow

Rocky_J

Thanks Ed, I'll have to try that. :)

Kevin, the tank vent is a tiny little orifice on the top side of the tank opposite the gas cap side. Right about in line with where it is pictured in the IPL.

ehp

Rocky some of the vents are on the other side of the tank on some of the husky , Some also come with 2 pieces of the white stone instead of one and once it gets dirty it will cause problems , Alot of the older 371's had 2 and 288's

Kevin

SawTroll

Quote from: ehp on January 01, 2010, 10:29:41 PM
Alot of the vents have a white stone appearance cover that is on the out side of the vent , if you use a wood screw and screw it into the white part then pull on it , it will come out of the tank . under it most have a long plastic vent . In the winter in deep snow the white part is known to ice over and freeze so it blocks the air venting off so the saw runs out of fuel. It is worse in deep wet snow than colder dry snow

Nice to see you around again!     8) 8) 8)
Information collector.

ehp

was real sick for quite a while with lots of operations but am starting to get better  8)

Reddog

Good to see you around, last summer Jeff and I where camping we were wondering what had happened to you.
Good to hear you are on the mend. 8)

ehp

there has been alot of changes in the last 2 years but things are coming together well for me now , I know I got at least 1 more operation to go but hope that its the last one for a while , I have spent just to much time in the hospital to suit me  8)

Kevin

Sorry to hear about that Ed, nice to have you back.

Coon

I am thinking the tank vent on my Jonsered 630 is plugged too.  After running it for a while it seems to starve for fuel until it dies.  It won't start until you take the fuel cap off to release the pressure.  Being that the saw is nearly the same as some of the older huskies would the vent be in the same place? If not where would it be located?

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ehp

yes I would bet your tank vent is plugged, I'm not saying it in the same place as different years of saws have different places but it will be on the same side or the other side of the tank,not many can on the top of the tank but some did , most likely you will have to undo the motor mounts from the engine to the tank to make it easy to get at the vent, sure if you jam something in between the tank and crankcase and wedge the two apart you can get to the vent but have seen guys break the mounts and some even break the tank where it mounts to the tank so now you need a new tank , you only need about an inch or so of room to get at the vent

Coon

I will possibly get a chance to have a look at it sometime tomorrow if the weather is decent.  Was busy today shovelling my way through some very hard snow drifts that weren't there at dark last night. ;)   May even venture out tonight to putter around if I can't sleep again.   
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

jteneyck

I've removed the tank vents on my Husky 55 and 385 XP using a pair of bent, long needle nose pliers.  They push out pretty easily.  You can check if they still  work by running a little compressed air into the tube end.  If you can't hear it coming out the white filter end, it's plugged.  They are pretty cheap in any case, so change it if you think it's bad. 

Kevin

Are you pushing it out from inside the tank or pulling it from the outside?

ehp

the plastic long vent piece is easy to get out most times , just stick a slot screwdriver that is a touch smaller than the hole in the vent and cock the screwdriver sideways so it grabs a hold of the vent and pull out and most times the vent pops out, the wood screw is to get that white stone part they put in the saw after the vent tube was put in 

Kevin

Ed, what is the white stone, is it nylon?

jteneyck

Sorry, yes, I push the vent out by reaching the pliers into the tank.  It's quick and easy once you have a pair of bent nose pliers that reach in there.   

ehp

Kevin its kind of like nylon, it has very small holes in it to let air in but to keep the dirt out of the main vent tube , the vent tube comes out very easily  but those little white stone/plugs sometimes donot and on some of the earlier saw had 2 of them, this doesnot work at all in the deep snow or on days that are freezing but real cold in deep snow as those white stone/plug freeze solid and donot let any air in at all ,, husky is not the only saw to have vent trouble in deep snow . I know I have done my fair share or work on stihls to

SawTroll

Quote from: ehp on January 02, 2010, 09:36:03 AM
there has been alot of changes in the last 2 years but things are coming together well for me now , I know I got at least 1 more operation to go but hope that its the last one for a while , I have spent just to much time in the hospital to suit me  8)

Welcome back! - I know very well what health problems are about!

How about Jokers and your web-site?
Information collector.

ehp

Sawtroll, the other site was Joker's and something went wrong on the data base , its still in the air just no one can get to it but if you look at my profile that might help you, Yes I know lots about operations and hospitals as I have been in alot of them but things are alot better now , just waiting now on my first baby to be born and should be here any day as we spent 2 nights ago in the hospital for him but he figured it was to cold out side and wanted to stay inside where its warm  8)

SawTroll

That sounds like great progress, thanks for answering!     :)

Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!