iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wooly bears

Started by Ron Wenrich, September 30, 2003, 04:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

Were they headed south? :D lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

ohsoloco

I've been seeing lots of wooly bears lately, especially when I'm out picking up logs.  Lots of brown in the middle with just a little black on each end.  

Gotta fire up the woodstove again tonight, s'posed to get a freeze tonight  :)

Roxie

The wooley bears here are mostly black with a thin brown streak in the middle.  We had our first frost last night.  Woke up to 36 degree morning.  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.   :D
Say when

junkyard

Wooley bears around here are about half the lenght of there body brown in the middle, one fourth black on each end. Means winter is coming gonna stay till Sugarin.
                      Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Timber_Framer

I started to see some woolys last week then the chickens started seeing them too :o
It was 20 degess up here two nights ago, but I ain't complaining last year we had snow on Sep 2nd.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

shopteacher

Seen one today with a Georgia Bulldog cap on and carrying a suitcase. :D Think that means a bad winter? ???
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

bighoss550

i saw 2 today that were brown on the ends and mostly black in the middle!!?? ??? hmmm whats that mean?

maybe a evil breed??

Weekend_Sawyer

Here in Maryland when I start seeing wooly bears I know it is time to clean the chimneys. I'm seeing mostly black ends with brown middle, then all browns and only 1 or 2 all blacks, kinda makes you wonder what they taste like don't it.  ;)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Frank_Pender

It is 61 degrees here this morning.  I have nto seen any wooly bears as yet. :-[ Perhaps today when I blow the Oak leaves off my $3,000 yard on which the wife is letting the mini horse and donkey graze.  They have done a great job on my $500 worth of roses. >:(

It is suppose to be raining by this time tomorrow, however.  Forcasters tell us that rain should hang around for the next week or so. :'(
Frank Pender

OneWithWood

Good thing it is 'only money' eh, Frank?  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Weekend_Sawyer

Frank, ya know what they originaly made burritos out of dont you ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Timber_Framer

It snowed here yesterday :-[
Today it's 34 and raining ::)
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

ohsoloco

The other night when I was bringing in some firewood I found an all brown wooly bear curled up among the chunks of oak.  

It's raining real good right now, but I think it's supposed to stop by tomorrow and just be real windy.  Hopefully I can keep the sawdust out of my eyes....I really need a sawshed  :-/

Gilman

No wooly bears here that I've seen, but the spiders are making quite a run.  It's raining silk here.

Cute female UPS driver dropped off some parts yesterday.  My office window faces the rose trellis.  She walked through the arch and ran smack dab into a web. Well, she was spinning and twirling trying to get out of if and then walks into another web. One arm flailing pulling the spider web off and the other clutching my package.  I was nice enough to met her at the door and thank her for the delivery and told her, "Thanks, now I can walk out safely and get my mail.  I've been waiting all day for someone to clear me a path."  ;D

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

SwampDonkey

I see lots of Wolly bears here too Ron. My mother always went by thier black and brown sections like you suggest. On the road I see them crossing all over when I go for walks. So far its been beautiful and Mild up here in New Brunswick. Its hardly even rained, just showers. The fields were powder dry until the last shower on Tuesday. We only had one hard frost, down to 27. I can remember lotsa falls when father farmed when we couldn't get on the ground until mid morning during the fall potato harvest. As I said, we only had one frozen morning all fall so far. The leaves on the trees are pretty much all gone now. The mountain is bare, 'cept for oak, beech and aspen. :(

I agree about the spiders too, this september the lawns where a continous web in the morning dew. I saw alot of poor little bubble bees on the fall asters this morning. They were also covered in dew as if they didn't want to go to their nest over night. I was talking to my cousin as she was planting shrubs and adding and mixing some bagged soil to the flower beds. And within 30 mins, as the morning got warmer toward 11:00 am, them bees just came to life and went about their business as usual. :) Yesterday the woods was alive with bees and wasps as it was like summer in the sun. Tomorrow afternoon is suppose to be the same. Gotta love it, hope it lasts all winter. :)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Found another all black one curled up in the back entry of my parents place.  :-/

SwampDonkey

Wonder what it means when ya see the robins eating them along the road.

Robins are hungry? :D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

It's gonna be raining something, SwampDonkey, watch yer head  :D

SwampDonkey

Furby

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.......................
We haven't had robins around here since the begining of August.
They still up by you SD???

SwampDonkey

Furby:

Depending on the fall, they won't leave here till almost Christmas if we get no amount of snow. Furby, the robins don't hang around the lawn like they do when they're brooding. They go into the thickets and the big woods. At the end of august you won't see them on lawns or fields much here. There is an old orchard up the road where I walk and its full of robins sometimes churpin, just like spring time. Its full of berries and apples galore for them. They'll eat our round wood berries before they head south (mountain ash). I've seen some robins here through the winter if it's mild, which is not very common. They hang out all winter in southern Ontario and Saint John's NFLD during winter though.

Furby, go out to some thickets with berries and you'll likely here or see them. ;)

Furby

Not to make light of your info SD, but NOBODY I have talked to about this in this area, has seen ANY robins since August.
Most years we atleast still see a few of them through mid October. Maybe not out on the lawns as you said, but we see a few here and there. Not this year.

SwampDonkey

Furby:

That's puzzling. I can send some down though. But, if you wait, they'll be along soon. Hmm, now that I think about it, they will be heading down along Rhode Island and New York along the coast from here.

I'm scratching my head here as to why you guys haven't any. I walked by the orchard again this evening and there was several in there and also along the line fences, since there was tonnes of berries. We used to have way more robins 20 years ago to. And our killdeer numbers are way way down as are the bobolink (R2D2 sounding bird). ;)

Furby

Yeah it is funny as to where they are. I really haven't had time to go out hikiing, but I've been in the woods and some orchards, as well as some other places that they usually are. They aren't there.

Timber_Framer

I've got Cedar waxwings in my mountain ash but as Furby said no robins since early September.

Thank You Sponsors!