iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2009 Sawmill Project

Started by jwoods, January 01, 2010, 01:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwoods

I've posted and browsed here for a few years, but could never post photo's.  Hope this works.

fishpharmer

You did it.  Bravo.  8)

Now tell us a little about the building.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jwoods

Well, I guess a middle-aged dog can learn new tricks!

Here's a shot from the inside, NOS Clay tilt-in windows.

Joe

Firebass

Nice!  And built the mill too?   What did you use for stain to get that nice dark color.

Firebase

jwoods

Fellas,

Here's the story.  I sawed most of the barn, it's a post-frame construction, the siding is Ash, board-and-baten random width.  I used Latex paint.  The posts are Cottonwood 2*6's laminated to treated 2*6's. I bought the purlins, roof is gray steel.  Footprint of the building is 70 by 70, 28 by 70 lean-to for the sawmill. 

Here's a shot of the sawmill.  Notice the laminated truss/beams above the sawmill.  These were home-built.

...and the slab wagon.

so much better than being out in the open.

Joe

jwoods

Firebass,

No, the mill is a TA Schmid, had it for about 10 years now. 

Joe

fishpharmer

The first picture looked nice.  Knowing the rest of the story makes it awesome.   I have to make something like that myself.  You have inspired me. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WNC

How did you make you laminated beams ?

jwoods

fishpharmer,

Thanks for the comments.  Someday I would like to build a bigger scale sawmill, same back at ya'. ;)

WNC,

For the beams, the top cord is (3) cottonwood 2*12's glued and lagged together.  Total length is somewhere around 30'.  There's a short support leg that you can observe in the pictue, those are (3) 2*8's glued and lagged, but also have the middle leg projecting into the 2*12 lamination.  Not sure what the construction term would be, but it's all inter-connected.

They work pretty well and were up in the fall of 2008.  I should have constructed them with a 1 inch-or-so arch to account for sag.

Now I'm addicted to posting these doggone pictures.  Here's one of the log loader  ;)

Joe

Joe 

Magicman

Well, looks llike you now have the whole deal figured out.  I think that this, by far, is the easiest forum to post on.  I really like the "Gallery" format.  The only thing that I miss is a "Spell Checker".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pitotshock

OK, I absolutely love the 3 point hitch forklift. Brilliant Idea. Hydraulic up/down and a hydraulic cylinder as a third link for the tilt.

*DanG you, that might have to be my project for the winter of 2011  :P
Stihl MS361, Makita DCS340

sdunston

Wow, All these post with new idea's, I hope I have time to saw logs this winter 8)
Thanks for the pic's
       Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on January 01, 2010, 05:19:50 PM
  The only thing that I miss is a "Spell Checker".

Hey MM, ditch the IE and use firefox, built in spell checker.....It's a 1 click install...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

jwoods

Thanks to all for the kind comments,

In the 9 years I've been sawing I've worked my way up from 100% manual everything to a few hillbilly luxuries. 

The 3-point forklift is an absolute time and back saver.  I'm not sure of the brand it came from, but it's got wheels at the base, and for heavy logs I set them on the ground to keep the tractor front end from coming up.  It'll lift around 3500 lbs.  Surplus Center sells a top-link cylinder that would be better than the one I have (spherical swivels).

Here's a better shot of the lean-to beams.

Joe

Roxie

Wow!  Job well done!!   8)
Say when

ForestMan

There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

John_Haylow

Very nice building. Well done.

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Carpenter

Hey, JWoods.  That shed looks great.  How was the cottonwood to work with?  Looks like it did the job.  I would like to use some cottonwood if at all possible.  We have a lot of it available.  It normally gets used for firewood around here but I have seen it used in some old buildings. 

jwoods

Carpenter,

Thanks for the comments, I've been following your sawmill construction post, looks like a nice job.

As for the cottonwood, (eastern) I too saw it used on many buildings on our farm.  These have been around for 90-or-so years and I thought I would try it as well.  Here's my experience in Northwest Ohio:

1.  Plan for at least 50% overage on your cut list.  If you need 1,000 board feet of material, saw at least 1500.  It warps, bows, twists, and is prone to ring shake, see picture below. I had a number of 2*12's that cut straight on the mill but after air-drying for a year had a 6-inch bow.

2.  Nail holding ability is poor.  I used it for the gerts on the barn, and nailed the boards/screwed the battens.  A wood screw will strip out if you over-torque. (knowing what I do now, I woulda used store-bought 2*4's.)

3.  Keeping these in mind it can be used for construction lumber, just gotta be smarter than the average bear to know when and where to use it.

4.  Don't target the largest trees for lumber.  the 20-24 inch stems are the most prime, less waste in case of windshake.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Joe

Wudman

Here is one more of those hillbilly log loaders.  The only problem with mine is that it is so heavy that I really need a bigger tractor to handle it.  I can hang myself up without trying too hard.  The Fordson is the only thing I have on the farm with dual remotes, but it will lift anything I ask it too.  Just don't put it on too much of a hillside.   ;D ;D

Wudman

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!